Status: Completed. Comments?

The Passenger's Seat

Six

Anxiously, he sat and waited. Everything was dark around him, all he could hear was the siren, trickling water from a pipe somewhere, two cats hissing at each other, and Roxie’s soft breathing. There was nothing else to do except to wait.

Garrett’s car was hidden deep within the narrow alley way between a factory and an abandoned building, where he was sure people got beat up in or even raped. This wasn’t a good place, he thought. But it’ll do.

His mind flashbacked to hours earlier to the moment that would lead to the unlikely situation he was in: the instant Roxie entered his car, in the passenger’s seat, where she was also sitting at the moment.

He looked at the girl on the passenger’s seat. Garrett had already wiped the blood from her head with a cashmere scarf some girl left in his car that he hadn’t cleaned out. He checked her vital signs, too, and concluded she would be fine and awake anytime soon. If not, he’ll get help. That was if they didn’t get arrested first.

“This night would have turned out simpler if I had locked my car doors,” he said under his breath, eyes locked on Roxie. But it had its perks, he added to himself, for the fear for Roxie hearing it.

Then, as if on cue, Garrett saw the police car come speeding by, it’s blue and red lights flashing on and off. And it was gone.

Garrett was able to breathe again. He did it. He lost them.

Right away, he pulled out of his phone from his jeans pocket and called Mark. The first thing Garrett heard when Mark picked up was the sound of a moaning girl. Garrett smirked.

“Hey, little brother,” greeted the familiar voice. “What ‘cha up to?”

“I almost got arrested.” Garrett laughed, proud of his triumphant escape.

“I always knew that would happen to you,” said Mark matter-of-factly.

Garrett raised an eyebrow. “What?” Beside him Roxie was stirring awake.

“It runs in the family,” said Mark. “Oh baby, do it again!” said a female voice, probably the girl who moaned, or knowing Mark, she was another girl. “Calm down ladies, you’ll all get your turn,” Garrett heard Mark say authoritatively.

“Er, I think I’ll leave you to your business,” said Garrett, feeling a pang of jealousy. “But I owe you one, bro. I really do.”

“Right,” Mark muttered distractedly. Garrett heard another woman’s voice scream. “See ‘ya bro.”

Garrett put his phone back in his pocket, and felt the corners of his mouth rise. Leave it to Mark to know how to have a good time. Even when they were children, Mark knew how to cheer Garrett up when he was having a bad day.

When Garrett was five and got his first tooth out, eight year old Mark rode his bike with Garrett grasping his shoulders behind him to the ice cream store, where Mark spent allowance on chocolate ice cream for Garrett. When Garrett was fourteen and got his heart broken over his first girlfriend, Mark gathered all of his female friends in his grade and took Garrett to the beach. Mark was always there for Garrett no matter what. He was his best friend, his other half, his idol and his hero.