Status: Completed. Comments?

The Passenger's Seat

Nine

It was their favorite hang-out when they were kids. During the hot, lazy summer days they would beg their mom and dad to drive them there. If they said no, they would still find a way no matter what, let it be by Mark’s bike or beg their neighbor, Mrs. Kelvin, to bring them.

They would spend hours there, the two of them and sometimes with other friends, even if it was jam-packed with people. There was just something about the place that made them feel incredibly happy.

Garrett liked to pass by the place once in a while, because it reminded him of a good childhood, but he never really went inside, mainly because he had nobody to go with. He wasn’t exactly big on the whole take-a-girl-out thing. But now, after about ten years, he was back.

The place was closed. It was only… what? Five thirty in the morning? Six? Garrett had lost track of the time. But by looking up the sky, he could tell that it was only a little while until sunrise.

So it wasn’t open… that wouldn’t be a problem. He knew his way around this place, even if he was blindfolded.

He took Roxie’s hand and walked left, around the lot.

“Where are we going Garrett?” she said, walking on her bare feet, because she didn’t want to put on her stilettos again. “Oh, wow.”

Behind a metal fence was a wide, rectangular shaped swimming pool, reflecting the breathtaking pre-dawn sky. Garrett let go of her hand and climbed, despite the sign that said ‘BEWARE! ELECTRIC FENCE.’ He knew better. The sign was only used to scare trespassing kids off. Mark had dexterously checked if it was really charged with electricity the first time he snuck in with his friends at night. He said he used his hand to test it, but Garrett secretly never believed him. Even Mark wouldn’t risk that.

“But it’s an electric fence, Garrett…”

Garrett let go of her hand and began climbing the shaky fence, which became much less sturdy over the years. “Careful!” warned Roxie form behind.

“Don’t worry!” he said, climbing over and landing squarely on the concrete on both feet. “Come on, Roxie.” He held out his arms wide and offered an encouraging smile.

She appraised the fence, and stepped forward hesitantly. “I’m not a good climber. What if I fall?”

“Then I’ll catch you!” he said, and frowned. That has got to be the cheesiest thing he has ever said.

Slowly and carefully, she climbed the fence. Garrett watched patiently, and helped her climb down. Once on the ground, she made the gesture of wiping sweat off her forehead. “That wasn’t so bad,” she giggled.

He looked at her, and he couldn’t help but smile. “Come on!” he said, pulling her hand, and running toward the pool. Hand in hand, together as one, they jumped in the swimming pool, creating one giant splash of purple and gold water that mirrored the sky above.

The water was warm, just as he remembered it.

It was as if everything was happening in slow motion. They were underwater. At first Garrett couldn’t see Roxie because of all the bubbles they created from their splash. But when they cleared eventually, he knew exactly what to do.

He kissed her. It wasn’t the forced kind of kiss; nor was it the hard pressed kind. It was soft and gentle and shy. It was innocent. He held her close to his body and wrapped his arms around her.

They remained that way for as long as they could breathe.