Holly, Would You Turn Me

The Wrong Person

I grabbed him by the throat and pushed him against the wall before punching him in the mouth and then when I realized what I’d done I let go and put my hands to my mouth in shock.

Never before had I hit him in the face, not his beautiful face, I’d never hurt him like that and yet I’d just done it.

All 3 of us stared at each other in shock and I was drawn to Holly who had her hand on her cheek with tears in her eyes and I grabbed her cupping her face in my hands, she chewed at her lip and sure sign she was about to cry and I wrapped my arms round her.

Jack looked at me shocked that I’d hit him and shocked he’d hit her, he wiped his hand across his bleeding lip and looked down at the floor, I loved Jack but nobody and I meant nobody ever hurt Holly and got away with it.

I never thought in a million years Jack would hurt her or mean any harm to her but I wasn’t sorry for my actions.

He’d hit her and no man should ever hit a woman no matter what they’d done and even if they were two perfect strangers I’d have probably acted the same way but never Holly, I’d never meant to hit Jack with such force as to split his lip but it was a natural reaction to protect her.

Jack just best hope she never tells Zack because he wouldn’t just hit him once, Zack adored Holly and I didn’t doubt the fact Zack would punish anyone who’d laid hands on her.

I didn’t know what to say and what to do, I wanted to help Jack but he’d brought this on himself.

“Are you happy now?” I snapped at him and looked up at me with this childlike vulnerability in his eyes.

“What do you think?” he said quietly and I shook my head .

“I…I never” he started but just stopped.

“Never think? Never back down? You came up here for a fight Jack and you got what you wanted it’s just a shame its someone else you hurt isn’t it? You brought this one on yourself and you know it,” I argued and he shook his head.

“I never meant to…” he trailed off again and I could tell he couldn’t find his words.

I pulled Holly from me and examined her red cheek and a lump that was appearing near her eye I ran a gentle thumb over it and she pulled away in pain, I’d received slaps from Jack before and he wasn’t gentle.

He was skinny but he gave out the most painful slaps I’d ever known. It made your eyes water and your cheek sting; she was lucky he’d not got a ring on today.

I’d received a slap from him a few months ago when he was wearing a ring and it’d cut into my cheek.

He’d hit her just as hard as he’d hit me and she wasn’t used to this sort of thing, I don’t think anybody had ever hit her in her life.

“You maybe never meant to but you still did it and look what you’ve gone and done!” I shouted turning Holly to face him and he looked away ashamed.

She cried and I knew full well it wasn’t advisable, crying would make her eye hurt more and she should really see a doctor because her eye was bloodshot.

“Holz,” I said and she didn’t respond.

“Holly babe don’t cry, look at me,” I begged her and she looked up at me.

“Don’t cry okay it will only hurt more, you need to see a doctor,” I said quietly and she shook her head.

“You do your eye needs looking at,” and she shook her head.

“Holly,” I said sternly hoping she’d do as I wanted.

“No because everyone will think you did it,” she said quietly and I looked away from her.

Even now after this she was trying to protect me, why couldn’t I just love her properly and everything would be so much simpler.

“I’ll take it I’m a big boy,” I lied and she shook her head.

“I won’t have people thinking you hit me,” she said sounding far away from me.

She’d never say Jack did it either, that would hurt him and she knew I loved him.

“Please Holly you need to see someone,” I begged and she shook her head.

“Say I did it,” Jack said and I closed my eyes.

“You did do it! Jack she’s refusing to see a doctor who we both know she really needs to see just to protect me,” I snapped looking at him and he looked away again ashamed.

“I’m not going,” she repeated and I nodded resigning to the fact she was stubborn.

“What about Merrick?” Jack asked thinking of himself.

“Right now I couldn’t give a fuck what he did to you because you’d deserve everything you got,” I snapped at him furious that he could think of himself when he’d done this.

“There you go again, you want to know the real reason I was pissed with you? Because you always choose her over me!” he snapped and I looked away knowing he was in fact right.

“Well you make the decision so fucking easy when you hit her don’t you! She never complains with everything we do to her and put her through and when I try to make things up to her you go off on one at me. If it wasn’t for her you wouldn’t have me Jack so think about that before you start blaming her for everything!” I shouted and Zack walked in.