Maybe Memories

The Taste Of Ink

If you’d ask me to describe my boyfriend of six years I would say he was amazing, talented and the love of my life. I think everyone would agree with me that he’s talented, come on he is Bert McCracken from the Used after all. In school everyone thought we were going to get married and so did I.

“Bert come one we’re going to be late for your own show,” I yelled from the front door or our house.

“Sweetheart I’m a rock star therefore I get to make an entrance,” he said putting his hands to his heart.

He then preceded to French kiss me; this was something the two of us have always done since I can remember. It was kind of like his good luck charm I guess.

When we arrived he grabbed my hand and pulled me towards the stage where I would be watching him from behind the curtain.

He then looked at me one last time and said, “you better not keep me waiting afterwards,” he then winked.

“Well we do have to wait until we get back to the house,” I responded, smiling and being flirty.

“Don’t remind me,” he groaned.

Making love after every show they did in our hometown had become our routine after the Used had hit big. I loved it and by the sounds of Bert so did he. I hugged him and the rest of the guys before they went on stage. They started off with ‘The taste of Ink’ and ended with ‘All that I've got.’ The show was typically amazing, like every other show of theirs I went to. And since I knew them in high school of course I went to a lot.

Bert was the one driving, and I was in the passenger’s seat, and Bert kept looking at me like he had something on his mind. He knows I hate seeing him like this which seemed to make him look more nervous, causing me to get nervous. The car slowed down leaving the guys to get out of the vehicle to get into the hotel. Quinn was the last one out.

“Night Quinny dear.” I told him

“Night my sex slave,” Bert added.

Quinn laughed at our nicknames for him that we had picked out for him since freshman year, “night guys.”

As Bert and I drove in silence I let out a deep sigh, he glanced over and slowed down as we had come to our house. I walked to the door and before I could open it Bert grabbed me by the waist and kissed my lips. This kiss was filled with sadness, something was wrong with my boyfriend and I didn’t like it. He then pulled me into the house with such force that he hurt me in the process and when he stopped I fell to the ground. This caused him to hug me and check on me.

“Sherri I’m so sorry I didn’t mean to.”

“I understand Bert now help me up.”

So he did just that and proceeded to give me a once over to make sure I was ok.

“Now Bert I know there’s something wrong and you know there is to, will you tell me what it is,” I said putting my hands on my hips in the process.

He looked at me and then the floor and let a couple of tears fall down, “this is going to be harder for you. I know it is but I think we should break up.”

I was too devastated to say anything so I dropped to the floor and broke down. I miss him already and he’s still standing next to me. I looked up into the eyes of the man I grew to love throughout all of the hard times in his life and managed to muster up some strength.

“Bert pack your things and go to the hotel, I hate you so much right now.”

I didn’t mean it Bert, please stay, he shook his head and took his suitcase to his car. I then waited until his car left before I ran up the stairs and into bed where I cried myself to sleep.