Maybe Memories

Tying Up Loose Ends

On my way to Bert’s house I had no idea of what I was going to say to him. I just hoped the words would come out right. As we drew nearer to his house my heart started to pound in my chest and I felt butterflies in my stomach. When we pulled in his driveway Gerard gave me a reassuring smile and we stepped out of the vehicle.

Gerard took my arm and walked me towards the door; it took us a few seconds for one of us to knock at the door. I waited impatiently as Bert slowly opened the door, he looked at how our arms were linked and his smile faded. Gerard quickly took his arm from mine and I took my opportunity to hug Bert. He hugged me back and buried his face in my neck.

“I’ve missed you Bert, I’ve missed you more than you know, and the past few years of my life were miserable. I needed you then and I need you know.”

“I know,” he responded, “I made a stupid mistake and I promise not to make another one again.”

“Now Bert,” Gerard started, “are we going to stay out here or are you going to invite us in.”

I let go of Bert and smiled with tears of joy running down my face. Bert stepped away from the door and let Gerard and I in. We went in to the living room and sat down.

“So are you two still a couple?” He asked.

“Of course not, we’re better off as friends,” Gerard said.

“Yeah and I couldn't think straight because of a certain person who wouldn’t get off of my mind,” I told him a smile playing on my lips.

Bert gave me one of his goofy grins, and I noticed something about him that had changed in the past few years. His hair wasn't black anymore and it wasn't ratty like it used to be. I let out a sigh.

“See I’m like that, I’m just like that song. You know the song Sherri considering I’d always get it stuck in your head.”

I laughed, “yeah than Gerard would start singing it and you both would drive me insane."

That’s when the two looked at each other and smirked, “I just can’t get you out of my head, your loving is all I think about,” they sang at the same time.

I playfully slapped both of them and covered my ears, “so I see you two will be forgiving each other then.”

“Yup, now that we’re tying up loose ends here,” said Bert.

“Yeah, well Sherri we have to go I need to get to sound check.”

“She can stay here until the show starts, I’m going anyways,” Bert told him.

“That’s fine with me,” I said to the both of them.

“Ok then I’ll see you two later.”

“Later you sexy beast,” I called out.

“Hey that’s my sexy beast,” Bert said.

Gerard let out a small laugh and headed out the door. Once he was gone I looked at Bert with him looking back at me in return, it was at this moment he got down on the floor and took a box out of his pocket.

“Sherri I know I’ve made mistakes and I know how much I hurt you will you marry me?”

I didn’t know what to say I knew it was too soon though, “listen Bert I love you I really do, but I think we should start dating again and catch up on things. You know be a couple again.”

He looked a little disappointed, “I understand, so will you be my girlfriend...Again?”

“Of course Robert,” I replied, He stood up shoved me down on the couch and started tickling me, “ah Bert stop I cant breathe.”

He stopped and looked down into my eyes, how I missed staring into the eyes of this man. He then leaned down and kissed me. Oh how I missed those lips. And in that kiss I could feel the love and how much he missed me, and I know he understood how I felt at that moment.