Status: Hiatus until further notice.

Just Let It Go

Fourteen

“Oh no,” I moaned when Paul stopped in front of my house. A police cruiser was standing in our driveway. Paul glanced at me.

“Do you want me to go with you?” he asked and I shook my head.

“It's okay, thanks, I should go,” I stated and got out of the car.

The police cruiser didn't mean that something happened to the family. No one was hurt. I was 100% sure that my mother overreacted.

All the lights were on in the house even though it was almost 12 o'clock at night. I entered the house and closed the door behind me. There was low talking in the living room. I took off my coat and took a deep breath before entering the living room.

I saw Chief Swan and his daughter Bella. My mother was sitting on the couch with my father by her side. Bethany was in an armchair, her face tear-stained.

“Hi,” I squeaked out and my mother's head snapped up. The emotions that passed on her face were much too quick but one was clear: rage. She got up and took a step toward me;I took one back. She wanted to say something but chocked on her words.

“I can explain,” I offered, looking at my father pleadingly. He ran a hand down his face.

“Where were you?” my mother managed to spit out.

“I was with a friend, I sent Beth a text message,” I explained. My mother let out a hysterical laugh. Chief swan rubbed the back of his neck.

“I uh.. think we should go,” he mumbled to his daughter who nodded.

“Friend?! Who is this FRIEND?!” my mother almost shrieked.

“Calm down mom, it's Paul, he's a good kid,” I tried to explain. My back was almost against the wall as my mother came to me.

“Who is he?” she demanded.

“He's from La Push, one of the Quileute guys,” I mumbled out.

Bella, who was leaving with her father, stopped and turned around.
“Quileute? He hangs out with Jacob?” she asked and I nodded. My mother looked back and forth from me. Suddenly her hand flashed and I knew she was going to strike me. I quickly ducked and managed to grab her hand.

“No mother, don't you dare,” I hissed at her. “I'm not a child anymore.” Her eyes burned.

“Oookaaaay, we have to go,” Chief Swan said loudly and exited the house with Bella close by his side.

“Do you know what you caused? Can you imagine what was going through my head?!” my mother yelled.

“Mother, I let Beth know where I was,” I explained, trying to keep my voice under control.

“That was not enough! You think you can trust this boy?” she demanded.

“Newsflash! Mother, I've been seeing him for the past 3 months!” I exclaimed. My mother's eyes narrowed. I knew that our argument would take us nowhere. I sighed.

“Mom, I apologize for the trouble I've caused but you need to realize that I'm not a little girl anymore,” I tried to explain calmly. “And before you start setting rules for me, let me tell you: I will keep on seeing him.” Without waiting for an answer, I turned around and marched upstairs to my room.

I felt exhilarated. I had finally stood up to my mother.