Status: Hiatus until further notice.

Just Let It Go

Nineteen

“Stop staring, you’re making me nervous!” I said to Paul. He grinned in reply.

“You look amazing,” he answered and I felt myself blush.

We were on our way to the party down by the beach but beforehand Paul had taken me to the beauty parlor. I had to admit I was a bit nervous when we got there; After all, I was chopping a whole 9 inches off of my hair.
But really it wasn’t just my hair that I was cutting off, I felt like my past was going with it.

“Your mom isn’t that bad,” Paul commented, bring me out of my thoughts. I nodded.

We stopped by my house before leaving for the party. My mother was in a small shock when she saw my hair but for some reason she did not make a big deal out of it. What brought me into a shock was the civil way she spoke to Paul and how she didn’t object to me going to the party.

We followed the directions that Stephanie had given us and came to a halt in a parking lot. About 30 feet in fornt of us was a small patio where people were already dancing and having fun.

“Wow,” I murmured. I didn’t think the girls would go to such trouble to arrange such a friendly and warm atmosphere.
Carrie appeared front of us. She hugged me.

“Everyone’s been waiting for you, how do you like it?” she asked me.

“It’s fantastic, looks really nice,” I replied. She pulled me away form Paul and we went on to greet everyone. Paul’s friends had also come. Jacob was dancing awkwardly with Bella while Leah and Quil were having a playful argument about something.

I was casually leaning against a wooden post, just watching everyone enjoy themselves.

The party had been going on for about 2 hours now. Suddenly I felt an arm slide around my waist. I looked up and smiled at Paul.

“Enjoying yourself?” he asked me and I nodded. The fast-paced music changed to a slow track. I looked toward the CD player and saw Angelina fumbling with the buttons. She gave me a friendly wink.

“Dance with me,” Paul said and pulled me into the center of the crowd. We swayed gently as ‘Wish You Were Here’ by Bliss played. I rested my head on his shoulder.

“Have I mentioned that you look amazing tonight?” he asked me.

“Only tonight?” I teased him and he shook his head vigorously.

“Always, just tonight you’re…sort of..I don’t know,” he struggled to find the right words.
“I got ya,” I said with a smile. I looked up at him and Paul placed his lips on mine. He kissed me sweetly, tenderly. I kissed him back, smiling into the kiss.

Suddenly, a loud, piercing wolf howl cut through the air. Paul pulled away immediately. He had grown tense and I felt his grip tighten on me. I looked around. Not many had registered the sound or they just ignored it. All of Paul’s friends, however, had stopped what they were doing. Leah, Jacob and Quil pushed their way through the crowd of people toward us.

“Who’s going?” Quil asked everyone.

“Leah will stay,” Jacob said to the guys. Leah started to protest immediately.

“Hey, aren’t you supposed to listen to the beta?” Paul snapped at her and she remained silent. Jacob gave me a smile and squeezed me arm.

“Great party Sophie, happy birthday,” he said and left; Quil quickly followed suit. Paul gave me a small kiss and turned to follow after the guys.

“Why are you going?” I asked him, alarmed.

“There’s a problem in the forest,” he said.

“You don’t have to go,” I pleaded with him. I didn’t want Paul to go in there, especially now that I knew that packs of wolves roamed the forest.

“I have to go, I’m a protector,” Paul explained. “Don’t worry.” He kissed my temple and left.

The party was still in full bloom but I couldn’t relax. Knowing that Paul was inside there drove me nuts. I gripped the railing surrounding the patio and looked into the forest, trying to catch a glimpse of anything. I sighed in frustration.

“He’ll be alright,” a voice said beside me. I turned my head and saw Leah.

“Hope so,” I muttered. We stood side by side, silently looking out into the forest. I almost jumped when another howl sounded. It seemed more urgent. I heard Leah hold her breath. Immediately another wolf howled.

“We need to get everyone home,” she said to me.

“Why? What do those howls mean?” I asked her. She looked around at all the people and bit her lip.

“There’s a huge forest fire and it’s spreading quickly,” she explained. I watched as she rushed over to a table and climbed on top of it. She quickly got everyone’s attention and instructed for everyone to leave. I admired the skill and readiness she showed for this situation.

I waved good-bye to people as they left. Leah tugged on my hand.

“C’mon, I’ll take you home,” she offered and I obliged. As we drove I looked into the forest. It was only 8 o’clock but it seemed gloomier and darker than ever. I losed my eyes and leaned my head against the window.

“Paul is a fighter, he’ll be fine,” Leah said to me. I smiled to myself.

She dropped me off at my house and I waved good-bye as Leah drove off.
I was getting ready for the longest night of my life.
♠ ♠ ♠
So here you go! Thanks for the comments guys, I really appreciate them <3
My computer isn't fully fixed but I think I'll be able to get another one out soon.

Sophie's new hair (Emma Watson = <3)

Outfit!!