The Perks of Being a Bookworm

1/1

“Why do you always read?”

The young woman laughed. She had been asked that question so many times that it was actually quite ridiculous. You think after hearing it for so long that she would get use to the question, but no; that was not the case.

She wrinkled up her nose and the dimple on her left cheek exposed itself. She delicately placed her bookmark on the page she was reading before closing it. She placed the book on the top shelf next to her and looked at the questioner. She gazed at their freckles splattered across their nose before answering.

“Well, there’s no definite answer but I’ll try to explain,” she took a deep breath and flashed a pleasant smile. She tucked a stray hair behind her ear and crossed one arm across her chest. “There’s just something magical about reading a book. It’s all about escaping to an imaginary land with those words smeared across the pages. The sweeping metaphors and similes place such vivid imagery in my eyes and head.” She then looked up thoughtfully, biting her lips as if deciding on what to say next. “It keeps me young.”

The stranger looked at her wondering if she was serious or not. Their eyes soon warmed up and they broke into a smile. “Well, I’m just going to have to run out and join a book club.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so sad. There are no local bookstores near me and the libraries do not have a large variety of books. Boo.