Sequel: Before You Say I Do

And You're Just What I Need...

Day Seventy-Five

I finish wiping down the counters at Dorias and am about to close up when I hear the bell ring above the door. I look up and see Finn walk toward the front.

“hey.” I say, setting the rag in the sink next to me.

he nods in acknowledgement, “have a moment?” he asks.

“um, sure, I was just closing up…”

“we have to talk here, not at the house.”

“oh, is everything okay?” I ask, nervous now. I take off my apron and hang it up, waiting for his answer.

“I’m not sure yet.” Nodding, I pull out a slice of German Chocolate Cake and put it onto a plate, knowing that it was Finns favorite, and then walk around the counter where he was sitting. I take a seat across from him.

“so, what’s up?”

“Adam has a kid.” He states.

“well, maybe.” I add in, “they aren’t a hundred percent sure about that.”

“right. But it’s pretty settled.”

“I guess. What’s wrong with him having a kid?”

“nothing, really.” He took a couple bites of the cake. “Adam told me something he wasn’t supposed.”

Oh shit, he didn’t tell him, did he? “I’ve found he’s had a big mouth.”

“and it was about you.”

“yeah, I assumed so.”

“So, Adam has two kids then.” he didn’t ask how old she was. or what her name was. or even who the father was. no, instead he just automatically just tells me that he has two kids. No asking, just telling.

“um, well…” I start to defend but decide against it, “yes he does.”

“and he only knows about Tristan.”

“yes.”

“and your daughter, Katie was it?”

“mhmm,”

“is for sure Adams daughter?”

“yep.”

“positive?”

“one hundred percent.”

“no way it could be someone else?”

“okay, I’ll give you it all. Adam is the only guy I’ve ever slept with. If that’s not enough, I came home from Italy pregnant. So there’s no one else it could be but Adam.”

“if your sure…”

“I think I know who I have slept with Finn.”

He finishes up the cake without saying another word.

"You know what’s funny about this?”

“what?”

"You both easily tell the other one you have a kid. But you can’t tell him it’s his kid.”

“yeah, that’s just hilarious.” I pick up his empty plate and set it in the sink.

“They’re going to be here in four months.” He tells me.

“I know.”

“does Katie look anything like-“ I cut him off.

“Katie looks almost exactly like Katelyn.” I tell Finn.

He stuff his hands into his jean pockets and heads for the door. Before leaving he turns back to me. “well then, he’s going to find out one way or another.” And then he shuts the door leaving me standing there with the echoing sound of the bell.