Sequel: Before You Say I Do

And You're Just What I Need...

Day Ninety-Eight

“Adam!” I call from the bathroom and he was there in a heartbeat.

“yes?”

“what, did you sprint?” I joke, his shirt was half buttoned and his tie was loose.

“what?”

“which earrings?” I asking, holding up simple black ones, and a pair of pearls.

“um, the black.”

“thank you!” I say in a sing-song voice. He stays there in the doorway, finishing his shirt.

“hey, I need you to tie this…”

“gosh, you boys need to learn how to tie your own ties.” I say, quickly tying it and then grabbing his hand, “let’s go.

We walk down the stairs and wait for Finn and Dakota.

After a LONG week of getting Dakota into shape, I think she’ll finally pass this. Hopefully she doesn’t speak her mind, and instead sticks to the script that we made her memorize.

Katelyn and Nick were cuddled up on the sofa watching some movie. They weren’t going to auction, and to my amazement Adam said that they could stay here. Well, only if they didn’t do anything more than cuddle.

My dress tonight was a simple white dress with a black ribbon around the waist. Dakota, on chose to wear a navy blue dress that had black lace covering the top. It was absolutely stunning.

They came down the stairs and we left, “I swear if I walk in on you two-“ I cut Adam off from giving another lecture.

“have fun you two!” I say and close the door behind us.

Adam narrows his eyes at me and I just shrug it off. He’d get over it.

We took separate cars in case someone wanted to leave early. Adam and I were sitting in the car silent, “can I ask you something?” I say.

“um, sure.”

“is Finn nervous about the wedding?” Adam glances over at me, then focuses on the road again.

“of course he’s nervous.”

“I mean, like, he isn’t questioning it or anything, right?”

another glance came from him, “something wrong with Dakota?” he asks.

“no. yes. I don’t know. I’m just afraid she’s going to make a run for it.”

“why are you worried about that?”

“Dakota has never really settled down before. Like ever. She’d switch her pets at least every month.” I explain.

“but she loves Finn, right?”

“of course she does. There’s just that thought lingering in the back of her head that any girl would want a guy like Finn…”

“really?! She’s afraid that he’s going to cheat on her? I don’t think Finn has it in him to do that.”

“I know. She knows. But that doesn’t overpower her worries.”

“well, Finn may be nervous, but not like that. Has she talked to him about this?”

“of course not! And you can’t say anything.”

“I won’t. but she really should talk to him. Just make sure she doesn’t run.”

“I’ll try my best. But I can’t make any promises on that.”

I was fairly shocked at how well Dakota was doing. She kept her mouth shout except for the phrases, “nice to see you again mrs…” and “nice to meet you.” with a few other words tossed in. I was watching her when someone’s arms wrapped around my waist, I jump, letting out a small shriek.

I turned and saw Adam standing behind me, laughing. “you scared me.”

“wouldn’t have guessed.” I narrow my eyes at him. “come on, let’s get out of here.” He says, reaching for my hand.

“the auction isn’t over yet.” I point out.

“are you planning on buying anything.”

“no.”

“neither am I. let’s go do something we’ll somewhat enjoy.”

“fine.”

Dakota and Finn were currently talking to an older couple when we walked up to bid goodbye.

“you’re leaving?” Dakota whispers to me.

“sorry, but Adam wants out. You’ll do great, I promise.”

“Julie, I’m freaking out at the moment, there’s so much I want to say.”

“shh. You can let it all out when you get home. I’ll see you then.” Adam grabs my hand and pulls me out of there.

“in a hurry, huh?”

“I seriously hate those things.”

I laugh and get into the car, “well, where are we going then?”

“hmmm,” he thinks for a second, “the movies.”

“well okay then. We’ll go to the movies overdressed.”

“of course.”

He pulls up to the local movie theater and we get out. It was surprisingly calm for a Saturday night.

We ended up watching Planet 51. or walking into the Planet 51 theater. It was slightly obvious we’d be doing something else when Adam asks the guy behind the counter which movie had the least amount of people in it. This one had two others in the theatre; I wonder what they were up to. Kidding, it was pretty obvious. They were closer to the front while Adam insisted we sit in the back.

The instant the lights dimmed and the movie came on, Adams hand was on my leg.

“Adam!” I hiss, “at least wait until previews are over.” I roll my eyes even though he couldn’t see.

“fine.” He mumbles, “I’m going to go get a Pepsi, want anything?”

“you know what I like.” I say and he heads off to the lobby. The girl sitting down below started giggling at something the guy said and it brought back memories. Well, the lack of memories. Not only did that not happen for me in high school, but right after high school I got pregnant. Good girl gone bad in most senses.

“Nick…” the girl giggles and she says something quieter. Nick? The screen flashes a bright ad and I see his hair and then Katies long dark hair. What are they doing here?

I look down at my watch, figuring I had five minutes to figure that out. I slip out of my chair and skip the steps down to their row.

“what are you two doing here?” I ask. They both jumped at the sound of my voice. Nick instinctly takes his arm back from around her shoulders and sits up straighter.

“what are you doing here?!” Katie freaks.

“Adam wanted out of the auction and came here because you two were at the house.” I explain, “now it’s your turn.”

Nick shrugs, “we didn’t want to stay at the house.”

“obviously.”

“so we decided to come watch a movie.”

“what movie?”

they both pause and Katie sighs, “the one that had the least amount of people in it.” She says and I knew she was telling the truth.

“look, I’ve been sticking up for you two from day one, but if we head home after the movie and you guys aren’t there. Well, I won’t be able to cover. And if he catches you here, I also can’t cover.”

“then we’ll leave.”

“no, you can’t leave, he’s out there getting sodas right now.”

“then we’ll leave when he comes back.”

“Katie, the instant you stand up he’s going to recognize you.” no one had any other idea, “okay, after the movie, we’ll leave first, you guys wait two minutes after we’re gone. Then I’ll have him take me to some ice cream shop or something and you guys go straight home, got it?” they both nod, “and never try pulling this again. When we say stay home, we mean stay home.” They nod again “and right now, just pretend we’re not here. He’ll get suspicious if you two aren’t at least kissing every once and awhile.” With that I get back to my seat. A minute later Adam shows up and sets the drinks in the cup holders.

“miss anything.”

“nope.”

“I can’t believe teens still come to the movies to make out.”

I laugh nervously, “yeah, well, it is a dark area. Plus, we came here to make out.”

“but the house is occupied at the moment.” I try to hide my gulp. The pre-credits start and Adam moves his hand back to my knee

“wow, can’t hold it in for a second, can you? what if I really wanted to-“

“shut-up.” He says and crashes his lips against mine.

Personally, the movie was too long. But I guess part of that would be because I was distracted with Katie and Nick down below us. I didn’t want to do something too…rated R. The instant the credits started rolling I grab Adams hand to leave.

“what’s the rush?” he questions.

“I really want some ice cream.” I say quickly.

He rolls his eyes and laughs. “fine.” He gives in and follows me out of the theater. Thankfully the line was long and it took us quite some time to get it. That was, with me wanting to try almost every flavor. Adam finally pulled me away from the ice cream and insisted on us going home. I was honestly nervous that they wouldn’t be there and I think Adam could tell something was up with me, but he didn’t say anything about it.

Finally, I saw Nicks silver Honda in the driveway and let out a sigh of relief. Adam unlocks the front door and we walk in to the main hallway. Nick was ‘asleep’ on the couch with the main screen playing over and over again of the dvd they were watching. When the front door closes Nick stirs a little and finally sits up. He fakes a yawn and stretches his arms out, “how was it?” he asks in the midst of his yawn.

“pretty damn boring.” Adam answers, “but we survived. Where’s my sister?”

Nick didn’t even blink an eye, as if he had his response written down and practiced it for hours beforehand. “she fell asleep toward the end so I took her upstairs to her bed. I didn’t want to leave her home alone though so I thought I’d just crash here until you guys got here. I hope that’s alright.”

“it’s perfectly fine Nick. Thank you for making sure she was safe.” I answer. Nick smiles and starts to stand up to leave. I know they just got back from a movie, but he still shouldn’t be driving at such an hour by himself.

I nudge Adam hard enough that he looks down at me, “late.” I hiss at him. He shakes his head no and I glare at him until he gives in. “Nick, why don’t you crash on the sofa tonight. It’s late and you seem tired. No need to make you drive back home.” Adam offers.

“you sure it won’t be a bother?” he asks.

I smile at him, “we’re sure.” I tell him. Nick lies back down on the sofa, looking comfortable, “well, goodnight Nick.”

“night.” He replies. Adam and I make our way upstairs.

“I’m going to go check on Kate.” I tell him as he heads toward the bathroom.

“alright.”

I tiptoe across the hall to Kates room and slowly open the door without answering. She was sitting in her bed, reading a book.

“you’re reading a book while your boyfriend is sleeping?”

“he bought it?”

“totally. And Nick is spending the night. So, win win for you.” she smiles excitedly, “but never ever pull that again Katelyn.”

“I know, I’m sorry.”

“I’m sure you are.”

“did you know you’re the best almost-sister-in-law ever?!”

“how so?”

“you basically forced him to kiss me tonight.”

I look at her for a second, “wait. you’re telling me that you went to the movie to what? Talk?”

“yeah. And watch a stupid kids movie. That’s why we couldn’t remember the title. We just told them to get us to the lowest rated movie.”

“but you told me that it was based off of the number of people.”

“that was to make it seem like we were going to do something. Do you know how embarrassing it is that he hadn’t kissed me yet?! I didn’t know what was wrong with me.”

“obviously nothing with the kind of kissing you two were doing.” I comment. “well, I’m glad you got your first kiss, but I better get back to your brother before he gets too suspicious.”

“night then.”

“night. And don’t even think about going downstairs.”

“I won’t.” I close the door behind me and make my way back to my room. Adam was sitting on our, well technically my, bed with my guitar in his hands. I leaned against the doorframe for a little bit, watching him play. Exhaustion took over my body though and I really wanted to get to bed.

I walk toward him which makes him jump and me laugh. “didn’t hear you come in.”

“I know.” I say, smiling as I climb under the covers, “you know, you should ask to play betsy, she doesn’t like everyone touching her.” I joke.

“betsy?”

“the guitar.”

“oh, right. Sorry.” He sets betsy back into her stand. “it’s a really nice guitar, where’d you pick it up?”

I shrug my shoulders, not knowing, “I dunno, it was my dads. Blake never learned how to play, so I got the guitar and he didn’t.”

“you play?”

“well yeah, why else would I have a guitar?” Adam climbs into bed next to me and turns off the lamp.

“come on, lets get some sleep before we’re awoken by Finn and Dakota.” I nod in agreement and get comfortable before falling asleep.

It wasn’t more than an hour later when the door burst open. We spent the next two hours listening to Dakota rants before finally getting to actually sleep. The next few months were going to be crazy.