Sequel: Before You Say I Do

And You're Just What I Need...

Night-Day One Hundred and Thirty-Five

Adam and I were sitting at the dining room table trying to figure out seating arrangements for the wedding. “her mom and dad cannot sit at the same table.” I say for the fifth time.

“Julie, that’s what you do at a wedding. The bride and groom, their best man and maid of honor and then the parents.” He explains to me for the fifth time.

“Adam. I’m telling you that they can’t be seated together. It’s going to be a disaster if they are. Plus her step parents have been just as big a part of her life as her real parents. They should be there too.” Dakotas family is a little…untraditional. Her parents got a divorce early on and got remarried soon after. They both had kids together, so Dakota has five half-siblings. It’s kind of a handful.

“okay, how about this.” He rearranges some tables. “Dakota, Finn, you, and I will share the center table. On our right will be the other bridesmaid and groomsmen. On the left will be Finns parents. On both ends will be Dakota two families.”

I grab his chin and kiss him shortly on the lips, “you’re amazing at this.” I comment, pulling back.

“at kissing or event planning.”

“both.”

We hear the front door open and close, I just assume it’s Dakota and go back to the table arrangements. Over the next couple hours the door continues to open and close, confusing both Adam and I. Finally, Finn comes into the kitchen, looking like he was going to faint. I already knew what was coming.

“Hey Julie, have you heard from Dakota at all today?” he asks desperately.

It was about 50/50 on if I should lie or not. It was really tempting to, but he was going to find out one way or another.

“Um, I think she was going out with some friends from school.” It wasn’t quite a lie. That’s what she told me…at nine this morning.

“oh. I keep calling and she hasn’t answered or called back and I didn’t know if I did something…” he trails off, sounding as if he was on the verge of tears.

Adam looks over at me, anger and fear showing in his eyes. I kind of did promise him this wasn’t going to happen. While still looking up at Finn, I dial Dakotas number and get nothing. I keep pressing redial through the conversation.

I close the book that was open in front of us. What was I supposed to tell him? “Finn, you look exhausted. Why don’t you go off to bed and I’ll get a hold of Dakota? I’m sure she has just lost track of time. You know how she is.” He nods, only half believing me. Finn leaves the room and I look back at Adam. It’s silent until we hear the bedroom door close.

“you said she wouldn’t run!”

“I’m sorry! I didn’t think she’d do anything without telling me! And then I would stop her.” I reply. It’s not like I was happy about this.

“well get her back, like now!”

“I tried.” I mumble.

“what do you mean?”

“I mean I called her at least twenty times in the last five minutes. She’s not answering me Adam.”

“Fuck.”

Okay, deep breaths, everything will be fine in the end, it was to be. “we should go to bed, I’m sure she’ll call me tomorrow.” Adam glares at me and makes his way upstairs. Tonight I knew we were sleeping in separate bedrooms.

Just a day, just an ordinary day

Just trying to get by