Sequel: Before You Say I Do

And You're Just What I Need...

Twenty-Five Days

We were having Nicks parents over for dinner tonight since Dakota and Finn would be at some awards dinner. I’m still trying to figure out how I convinced Adam to let this happen, but I did and now we’re waiting for them to show up.

Katelyn was sitting comfortably on the chair across from Adam and I, very hyper. “you’re going to love them.” She says and I don’t know if that is directed to Adam or me. “They are really sweet and whenever I’m at the house we always speak Italian instead of English which is really nice and-“

“hold up, once again tonight will be an English only dinner.” I add to the rules, “I like knowing what you guys are talking about.”

Katelyn and Adam both roll their eyes at me, “learn Italian then.” Adam says. The doorbell rings then and Katelyn jumps up to answer it. Adam and I laugh as we walk up behind her.

“hey you guys!” Katelyn says all cheerful, “come on in.” Nick was the first to step through the door and he quickly pecked Katelyns cheek before stepping aside. Two adults come in and then Katelyn closes the door.

“mom, dad, this is obviously Adam and Julie.” Nick introduces us, “you guys, this is my mom, Hannah, and my dad, Rick.”

After the awkward introductions we make our way into the dining room. Adam had made some chicken dish that I didn’t really know the details of. I just know I had to pick up a chicken when I went grocery shopping.

“so, how long have you two been together?” Hannah asks Adam and I.

“um…” Adam says, I guess drawing a blank. Though I was too. How long had it been?

“they’ve been dating for about five months now. Though it’s been really serious for about four of those months.” Katelyn answers for us. That actually sounds about right.

“serious four of those months?” Hannah questions with a laugh.

“well, they started sleeping in the same room at one month. That’s when the relationship became more serious.”

“okay, moving on now.” I say, setting down my fork. We didn’t need to get into too much detail about Adam and I.

everyone laughs and Hannah changes the subject, “have you ever been to Italy, Julie?”

“I went for the summer about four years ago. I haven’t been back since.”

“do you have family there, or was it just some fun trip?”

“neither really. My parents had just died and I needed to get away. For some reason Italy just seemed like the right place to do that.”

“well, for not being Italian, you sure look it.”

Nick chuckles, “told ya.” He says. I roll my eyes at him while everyone else laughs.

Throughout dinner we talked more about Italy, school, and work.

Hannah and Rick seemed like great and I was glad we finally got to meet them.

When they started to get ready to leave, Nick asked if he could stay.

“we took one car, how do you plan to get home?” Hannah asks.

“actually,” I step in, “could he spend the night? I have to talk to him about something and it would just be easier that way. Otherwise, I can give him a ride home later.”

Rick looks between Kate and Nick, “no funny business.” He says. Kate blushes and Nick laughs.

“trust me dad, Adam would have me in the hospital if I was anywhere near Katelyn passed like midnight.”

Rick and Hannah smile as if Adam beating up their son was a green light for them to let him stay.

“fine, you may stay.” Hannah says. They all hug and say goodbye and Rick and Hannah are finally out.

“I wouldn’t send you to the hospital.” Adam comments.

“really?” Nick asks, not believing him one bit.

“oh, no. you’d be six feet under.” Adam jokes though Nick only slightly catches on as he nervously laughs.

“come on.” I tug on Nicks sleeve, “I’ve got to talk to you.”

Nick follows behind, “if it’s about the birds and the bees, trust me, I’ve had this conversation before.”

“not even-well, no, that’s not it.” We sit on the floor of my room. “you’re uncle owns the arcade in town, correct?”

“yup. Arc to the Cades.”

“do you think I could like rent some of the machines for a night?”

“um, yes. That’s what you plan on doing for the baccalaureate party?”

I laugh, “of course not. I’m in charge of the Bachelor party, Adam has the Bachlorette party.”

“cause that makes sense.”

“it does. I have done my brothers party and his best friends party. Adam has done his cousins party and her best friends party. We’ve never planned a party for our gender. So we decided to keep it that way.”

“right. Okay, so yes, we can get the games. Which ones do you want?”

“the guy ones? Um, I’m not sure what he has, but like the shooting ones and racing ones.”

“got it.”

“ooh, and does he have a photobooth?”

“of course.”

“do you think we could rent that too?”

“I’m sure you can.”

“sweet!”

Nick writes this down on his Iphone, “there’s a catch though.”

“and what’s that Nick?”

“I get to go.”

“of course you do! Gosh, that would be mean.”

“but not unheard of.”

“you’ll be going. And no, there won’t be any strippers or alcohol, so your parents don’t have anything to worry about.” I add on to the list.

“so what will there be?”

“that’s for me to know and you to find out in a couple weeks.”

Nick and I stand up, “so, now what?”

“movie time!” I yell. Nick laughs as we leave my room and head back downstairs to the others.

The instant I reach the bottom of the stairs, Adam has his arms wrapped around my waist, pulling me to him. I giggle and turn around in his arms. “did you have fun tonight?” I ask.

“of course.”

“and you’re not even lying.” I smile and kiss him on the cheek. “come on, we’re watching a movie tonight.” I inform him. We make our way upstairs to change into pajamas before going back to the living room. Katelyn and Nick were already sitting on the sofa in their own pajamas.

“so, what movie should we put in?” Adam asks, going over to the selection of movies.

Kate was the one to come up with a movie first, “Taken?”

“you want to watch Taken, Kate?”

“it looked good if I remember correctly.”

“that’s one word for it.” Adam takes out the movie and slips it into the DVD player before walking back to the big chair that he and I were to be sharing. He sits down first and I make myself comfortable on his lap.

By the end of the movie, I was fighting to keep my eyes open. It wasn’t that the movie was bad, I was just tired. I turn my head to talk to Adam only to find him fast asleep. The same went for Nick and Kate who were laying on the couch in each others arms. I slip out of Adams arms and grab one of the blankets, setting it over Kate and Nick. I pick up the second blanket and walk back to Adam, putting it over us as I snuggle back in. Sleep quickly catches up with me when I rest my head on Adams chest and all my worries disappear.
♠ ♠ ♠
message.befriend.comment.