Sequel: Before You Say I Do

And You're Just What I Need...

Fourteen Days

Two weeks until the big day and everything seemed to be going smoothly. Dakota’s brother Jonathan had gotten into town earlier this afternoon. Dakota, Finn and him had gone out to dinner leaving Adam, Katelyn, and I home. We decided to order pizza and play a game of Scrabble.

“‘za’ is so not a word Adam.” I say, challenging him.

“obviously someone hasn’t looked words up in the scrabble dictionary.” He grabs the dictionary next to him and flips to the Z section. “see?” he points to the word ‘za’. “slang for pizza.”

I narrow my eyes at him, “fine.” The doorbell rings then, notifying us that the pizza was here.

Adam reaches into his back pocket and tosses me his wallet. “here, there should be enough cash in there.”

“sure, I’ll go get the za.” Kate giggles and I get up to answer the door.

“$25.64” the guy says. I open up Adams’ wallet and hand the guy the cash before grabbing the pizza from him. He leaves and I look down at the wallet. There was a picture of Adam and Katelyn when they were younger. Much younger. Katelyn must have been somewhere around five which would have made Adam about fourteen. To my dismay, Katie looked almost exactly like Katelyn did in the picture, but with paler skin.

I walk back into the living room where we were playing the game. “cute picture of you two.” I comment, tossing the wallet back to Adam.

“yeah, well, it’s the only one I could find where we were both smiling.”

“hey! I smiled! You were the one that would always punch me or something.”

“and?” adam questions, “I don’t see the problem with that.”

Katelyn sticks her tongue out at her brother and then sets down her letters. “loser for 15 points.” She says, looking at Adam.

I laugh and write down her score. “you guys are silly.” I say and take my turn.

The night went on like that until Katelyn started yawning and decided to go to bed. Adam and I put the food and game away before making our own way upstairs.

“so, why do you have a picture of you and your sister in your wallet?” I ask, changing into my pajamas.

“I don’t really know. Seemed like the right thing to do when I left Italy I guess.” He was already under the covers.

I crawl in next to him, “that makes sense.”

“I’m sure you have pictures of your family in your wallet.”

“of course I do.” I reach over to my nightstand and grab my wallet from the top drawer. When I open it, a whole flap of pictures comes falling down. Adam laughs. I start at the top, “that’s my mom and dad at their wedding.” I say, “and then that’s them after my brother was born. The next one is of them after I was born.” I pass over all my cousins and down to my grandparents, “that’s my grandma and grandpa before they moved up to Washington. Let’s see…” I scan all of them, “oh, that’s my brother and his wife Jenny on their wedding day. And the last one is of Katie when she was a week old.”

“and everybody you skipped over?”

“cousins, friends, friend’s family and pets.”

“you have a lot of pictures.”

I shrug and put the wallet back, “I guess.” We were silent for a moment, “I’m not really tired, are you?” I ask.

“not at all.”

I roll over so that my body is pressed closely to his, “well then, what do you think we should do?”

“not with my sister two rooms over.”

I run my fingers up and down his bare chest, “so we won’t go that far.” I whisper, our lips inches apart.

“fine.” He grabs my hips and flips me over, “but I’m on top.” I stick my tongue out at him and he takes that as an opportunity to kiss me.

fifteen minutes later or so, my shirt and pants were off, leaving me in my underwear and bra. Adam was kissing his way down my stomach when the door to my room quickly opened.

“Ack!” I scream. Adam rolls off of me and I pull the covers over myself fast.

“sorry.” Jonathan says, standing there in the doorway, “but I really need to talk to you.”

“and this couldn’t wait until morning?” he shakes his head no. “fine. Get out, I’ll meet you downstairs.” He closes the door as he leaves my room.

“lock Adam. Tomorrow morning you’re going straight to the hardware store and buying me a goddamn lock.”

He smiles and kisses my cheek, “of course dear. Now go get dressed, don’t want to keep Jon waiting.” I glare at him and pull on my tank top and pajama pants. I grab a light jacket as I head out of the room and downstairs.

Jonathan was sitting at the table with Finn and Dakota. Uh-oh. This doesn’t look good.

Dakota was glaring at me, Finn looked nervous, and Jon looked apologetic. What the hell went on at dinner?

“um, hi?”

“Dakota, uh, found out some interesting news at dinner.” Finn explains.

The only thing that came to mind was Katie. Finn and Jonathan both knew about her but Dakota didn’t. I open my mouth to speak but Dakota interrupts, “you have a kid?”

“yes.”

“and you didn’t tell me? how could you not tell me?!”

“um… you were off at college and I didn’t want you to come home like I knew you would.”

“of course I would! My best friend was having a kid!” she screams. “and my brother knows? Why the hell does he know?!”

“he was in town and saw her.” There was silence, “look, I didn’t mean for this to hurt you. I just didn’t want to ruin something that you worked so hard towards. Plus, I mean, if you had moved back you never would have met Finn and we’d never be here having this conversation…” I try to make it sound good.

The room fell silent once again. Finn broke it this time, “you know, she’s right. We wouldn’t have met if you moved back home that first year.”

“I know she’s right!” she yells, “but that doesn’t make this any better!”

I bite my lip. She knew I had a kid and I guess it’s the time to tell her my other secret too. “Jon, Finn, can you go make sure Adam stays in the room. I don’t want him coming down here. Got it?” they nod and walk out of the room and upstairs.

I look across the table at Dakota and she was still glaring at me, mad. “I’m sorry for not telling you about Katie. My life was falling apart at the time and I wasn’t thinking straight, but I should have told you and I’m sorry about that. What I’m about to tell you though, you cannot, under any circumstances, tell Adam. Got it?” she slowly nods, still looking pissed.

“okay, so. The guy I met in Italy, he’s the father. and the guy I met in Italy, well, he’s Adam.”

“yo-yo-you’re Sk-Skye?” she whispers, luckily.

“yes. And I’m terribly sorry for not telling you but no one was supposed to know. Hell! It wouldn’t be a problem if Adam wasn’t, well, living here. And he knows about Katie but he doesn’t know that she’s his daughter…” I trail off not knowing what else to say. “is there any possible way you can forgive me?”

“I-I don’t know.” She answers honestly. Then she starts laughing. I stare at her like ‘what the hell?’ about a minute later she stops giggling. “Girl you are so screwed.”

“um…”

“I mean, if this is how I react, just think about Adam. He’s going to be pi-issed. Like off the wall, never seen before ang-“

“I get it.” I interrupt her.

“just saying.”

“yeah. I know. I know he won’t want to talk to me. do you think that I haven’t thought about this practically everyday since I came here? It’s the only thing I can think of. That’s why I need you to forgive me so that I won’t be going through this alone when he does find out.”

She smiles and shakes her head. “I’m only forgiving you because I feel bad for you. You do understand that, right?” I nod my head, “fine then, you’re forgiven.”

“thank you.”

we hug and she drags me upstairs with her. Once we reach my door she leaves for her own bedroom. I open the door to find the three boys playing an intense game of Bullshit.

“how dare you underestimate my lying pow-“ Finn interrupts Adam.

“dude, I’ve known you since we were three. I can tell when you lie. Now pick up the stack of cards.”

Like a child Adam sticks his tongue out at Finn. This made me laugh and all three heads snapped my way.

“I’m sorry to interrupt your game. But I’m quite exhausted, so could you please leave my room?”

Jon was the first one out, mouthing ‘sorry’ as he passed by me. I smiled forgivingly at him. Finn picked up all the cards and paused when he came to me.

“does she know who you are.” He whispers, making sure Adam couldn’t hear.

I nod my head and he leaves the room.

Adam was already in bed by the time I closed the door. I crawl in next to him for the second time that night and cuddle close to his warm body. “night Adam.” I say, switching off the bedside lamp.

“Goodnight Juliana.” He whispers, his warm breath tingling my neck.
♠ ♠ ♠
message.befriend.comment.