Sequel: Before You Say I Do

And You're Just What I Need...

The Wedding

When I woke up Adam was gone with a note to replace him

Juliana,
See you at the aisle.
Love you,
Adam

I laugh and set the note on my nightstand before getting up and heading to the showers. It was eleven, so we still had about six hours until the wedding, but there was still a lot to get done.

First I go and wake Dakota up.

I crank up the radio next to her and she jumps out of bed screaming “I’m up! I’m up!” laughing, I turn the music down.

“guess what?!”

“I’M GETTING MARRIED TODAY!!!” she yells. You could hear some of the staff setting up the wedding laughing, I assume at her yelling.

“yes.” I say, smiling.

“did you tell him last night?”

I shake my head no, “he was asleep when I got back to the room.” I whisper.

Dakota puts her hand on my shoulder, “it’ll be okay Jules. He’s not one to leave.”

“I want to believe you, but I just don’t know. I have this feeling that something bad is going to happen.”

“but it’s not. you’re just over thinking.”

I take a deep breath and smile again, “you’re right, it’s all in my head. I think… anyways, I have to get to the bakery. I’ll see you at four.”

She grabs my hand before I can leave, “hey, thanks for being here the whole time. It really means a lot to me.”

“no problem.” I squeeze her hand and let go, leaving for the bakery.

With my music playing, I put the cake together. Finn and Dakota choice and square style with black designs on it and black and white flowers. Some people in the family didn’t like how much black it had, but I thought it looked very classic. Gerad, Finns brother, came at two thirty to help me put the cake into his van and we drove it back to the house to put it together.

That of which took another hour or so. The weather wasn’t hot, or cold. It just was. The sun was shining and there were few clouds in the sky. Over all it was a very crisp autumn day, perfect for a wedding. I place the bride and groom figurine on top of the cake and smile and my accomplishments. Hopefully it tastes as good as it looks.

It was precisely four o’clock when I made it up to Dakota’s bedroom to find all of the bridesmaids already getting ready.

There was me, of course, and then her cousin Cheryl who was a couple years older than us. Samantha was a friend from art school and then Katelyn was, well, Adams sister. Duh. That made four of us. The groomsmen were Adam for me. haha. And then Nick was walking with Katelyn. Finns friend from school, Tim, was walking with Cheryl, while is friend, and Samantha’s boyfriend, Grabiel, was, well, walking with her. It all evened out in the end.

“Julie!” Dakota screams, jumping up from her chair and running toward me against the orders of the people doing her hair. “how does the cake look?”

“beautiful.” I reply, smiling, “but not as beautiful as you do with half your hair up.”

She sticks her tongue out at me and I laugh. “come on girl, lighten up. Finn wouldn’t care if you walked down the aisle in sweats.”

“which isn’t going to happen.”

I smile sweetly at her, “of course it isn’t, I have your dress in my closet.” That was to make sure Finn wouldn’t see it before the wedding. “I’m going to go take a quick shower to clean up from the bakery. Then we’ll finish getting you ready.”

“go, go.” She says, practically pushing me into the bathroom.

I quickly wash my hair and then dry it with the hair dryer. The plan was for my hair to be naturally wavy because, and I quote, ‘it looks best that way.’ Whatever. it’s her wedding, not mine. I straighten my bangs though since if I don’t, they like to go every which way.

When I’m finished I step out of the bathroom and allow the rest of the bridesmaids do my make-up.

At 5:45 we slip on our dresses. Dakota’s wedding dress what white with black lace on the torso. The skirt simply fluffed out a tiny bit and she had decided against having a veil. The bridesmaid dresses were strapless with a ribbon of matching black lace to tie around just below the chest. My dress, cause I guess that just had to be different from the rest, was the opposite. It was strapless too, but floor length and black. It had white lace, in the same pattern as the rest of the lace, just below my chest and it was long enough that when I tied it in the back the left over trailed along with the rest of the dress. I can’t say I don’t my dress, because I do. It’s gorgeous. Just seems a tad bit too much for a bridesmaid. When we went shopping for them I attempted to argue against it but Dakota insisted that it was her wedding and that I would wear what she wanted me to wear and blah, blah, blah. So I shut-up and let her make the dress.

The black fabric contrasted well with my pale skin. My dark hair fell softly upon my shoulders, covering up the nakedness.

Since her parents got a divorce early on, and Dakota never really felt like either of her parents were that much of parents, Jon would be giving her away. So when there was a knock on the door at about 5:50, that’s who I was expecting when I opened it. Instead I found Blake standing there.

“Blake!” I scream, jumping into his arms. I probably shouldn’t have done that in the dress I was wearing but I didn’t care, he was my brother.

Blake laughs and hugs me back, “hey sis.”

“where’s Katie and Jenny?” I ask.

“oh, they’re already sitting. I have something to give to Dakota before the wedding.”

“okay guys, everybody out but the bride!” I shout.

“and you.” Blake adds. Okay…

when the girls leave Dakota hugs Blake tightly. Basically, since we grew up so closely. Our families were like one. And when her parents got divorced, Dakota always said that my parents were more her parents than her real mom and dad. That made my parents tear up when she told them.

“What are you doing in here?” she asks, when they pull apart.

“I brought something for you.” he says. “but you can’t cry and ruin your make-up.”

Dakota laughs and promises not to cry.

“I remember when you two would always play dress up and whenever you were the bride you’d put this on.” I was standing next to Dakota trying to think of what it was, “and Juliana, if it’s okay with you, since I know you hated it, I thought I’d give this to you.” he pulls out the tiara my mother wore at her wedding. He was right, I did hate it. And Dakota loved it.

I smile, “of course. There’s no one else I can imagine it going to.” I say.

“you guys…” she says, holding back her tears as well as she could.

“They would have been very happy for you.” Blake says, “and I know our mom would have loved for you to have it.” He paused for a moment, “so, times running out, you want it?”

“of course!” she says. Blake smiles and sets it neatly on her head. The crystals sparkling in the sun that was peaking through the window.

“okay, I better get out there before the show starts.” He kisses her forehead and then mine. “have fun you guys.” With that he left.

Dakota turns to look at herself in the full-length mirror.

“you look amazing Dakota.” I say.

She smiles and glances at the two of us in the reflection. “I can’t believe it’s finally happening. I’m getting married.”

“and to a great guy.”

Her fingers graze the tiara, “are you sure about this?” she asks, looking down at me.

“I wouldn’t want anyone else to wear it. Plus I seriously hate it, always have.”

We both laugh and there was another knock on the door.

“it’s time girls.” Jon says.

We hug tightly before opening the door to leave.

“you two look beautiful.” Jon says.

We thank him and the three of us make our way down to the rest of the group.

“you’re wearing black to a wedding?” Adam questions when he sees me.

I smile up at him, “so are you.” I say, referring to his tux. Which I must say looks quite good on him.

“True, true.” He leans down and kisses me softly on the lips. “you look gorgeous by the way.” He whispers in my ear when he pulls away.

“thanks.” I grab my bouquet as does the rest of the girls and then Adam and I stand in front of Dakota and Jon.

Before the music plays Adam leans in to whisper in my ear. “I love you Juliana.”

I smile and turn to face him, “love you too Adam.”

Sadly, I had a feeling that was going to be the last time I heard those words leave his mouth.

Finns five and seven year old nieces were the flower girls and as the music started they skipped happily down the aisle, tossing rose petals everywhere. Then we all walk down and Adam kisses my cheek before taking his spot across from me.
♠ ♠ ♠
for writer.
the only person who comments =/
one more chapter left.
it will be posted tomorrow.
message.befriend.comment.