Status: Active!

Welcome to Hell

Everything Changes

The next few months Benedikte and Necrobutcher were becoming best friends and Alva and Gry were happy despite Alva’s breakup. Maniac then left citing depression and could no longer commit to the project. We recruited an old friend of Necrobutcher’s named Eirik and called himself Messiah.

On August 16, 1987 Mayhem released Deathcrush. The first 1,000 copies Euronymous printed sold out quickly.

In the summer of 1988 something happened that almost derailed the band.

“Euronymous there is something Eirik and I need to tell you.” Kjetil said.

“We both feel a little overwhelmed by this band and we’re not sure we can commit to the music at this time.” Eirik explained.

The silence after Eirik finished was immense. Euronymous looked up from his chair and just gave them a ‘get out of here before I kill you’ look. The two left quickly and quietly.

When Jørn and the girls got to the house they had a lot to talk about.

“So I have to tell you all something. Eirik and Kjetil just informed they are getting out of the band.” Euronymous said.

“Really that sucks,” Kirsten said getting up to sit herself on Euronymous’ lap.

“What are we going to do. I know everyone wants to start rehearsing again and writing new music. Mayhem has got to stay together.” Benedikte said.

“Hold on I think I can help.” Jørn announced entering the kitchen to use the phone.

“It seems like Necrobutcher knows every musician involved in metal. It’s amazing.” Alva exclaimed.

“I know we’ll just see what he can do.” Gry said looking his way with admiration in her eyes.

Well it did seem like Necrobutcher knew everybody in the metal community. He recruited Kittil Kittilsen on vocals and Torben Grue on drums from the band Vomit.

Kittil Kittilsen and Torben Grue only lasted a few months. Mayhem seemed like it was falling apart. People never stayed with Euronymous and Necrobutcher being the only original band members. If they didn’t find something fast it might be the end of the band.

In December 1988 the answer came in the form of a letter with a dead bird attached.

“Benedikte, I have to show you something I got today.” Necrobutcher said entering Euronymous’ apartment.

“What is it?” She asked with interest.

It was a cold and windy day and the rest of the band were scouting out places to play with Euronymous. So when Necrobutcher dragged her outside the wind almost knocked her out.

“Necrobutcher what is so important that I have to come outside in the snow.”

He pulled a tape and a dead bird from inside his truck.

“What the hell Necrobutcher what kind of sick freak would send you this? It’s disgusting.”

“I know it’s weird and smelly but you have to hear this demo tape of his previous band Morbid.” He explained.

“He also sent me a letter but it flew out the window. Luckily I wrote his address on the tape. He is awesome and I think I can convince Euronymous to consider him.”

The two went back inside and listened to the tape. Benedikte could hear the despair in his voice. The inhuman wails sent chills down her spine. It was like the devil himself was speaking. The band wasn’t up to par with their singer.

“Hey Necro and Benedikte the girls and I have some great news. We have a new person to audition for drums. You have to hear his demo.” Euronymous said as they all walked into the apartment.

“We do to ours is a singer by the name of Per Ohlin and I think you should listen to his demo also.” Benedikte chimed in as Kirsten came to sit beside her on the couch.

Everyone listened to each demo tape and they were all in awe of Per and Hellhammer. So they arranged to meet Hellhammer and find Per last. The whole group hoped this was not just another dead end.

Kirsten, Alva, Gry, and Euronymous were the first ones to talk to Hellhammer. His real name was Jan and he was on the shorter side. He had a stocky build similar to Euronymous’ and long, black curly hair. He had kind eyes and a genuine smile. He had played in a myriad of other bands.

After short talk Euronymous sent Hellhammer to Necrobutcher’s house where Benedikte would also meet him.

“Hello Jan, nice to meet you. I’m Necrobutcher and this is Benedikte Queens ov Hell’s singer and bass player.”

“Hi Jan, I’ve heard so many good things about you from Kirsten.”

“Well I’ve been looking for another band to poke my head in. I was really impressed I’ve seen both of your bands one of the times you played together.”

“Well Mayhem has been looking for a better drummer and I think you’re it.” Necrobutcher said.

The three of them spent the night talking and taking all kinds of drugs. It was actually the first time Benedikte had done anything involving drugs just the occasional, regular cigarette. They all fell asleep in random areas of the house.

The next morning at eight a.m. Benedikte and Necro peered out the windows of their respective rooms and saw Hellhammer outside playing football with the kids in his stockings. At that moment they both knew they had found something special.

A few weeks later Kirsten overheard a conversation Euronymous had with Dead a week before they met him. The conversation made a lot of sense to Kirsten because of how well she knew him, but the way he talked sounded almost feral and savage.

“Well I had an idea for the best and most brutal live show. Pig heads impaled on spikes, animal sacrificing, and a chainsaw or knife to cut the pig heads and throw them in the audience. Maybe some rotting meat and blood, but I’m just throwing out extra ideas here.”

He paused to listen to Per on the other end of the line. It sounds like Euronymous finally made up his mind for the live show. Kirsten listened again as Euronymous began to speak again.

“Yeah I hate all the trendies. They think that the show can be normal and boring. Those kinds of people would start running the first minute we came on stage.”

He paused briefly to listen again. Then spoke.

“I totally agree, we’ll see you tomorrow and we’ll get you situated in the band.” Euronymous said and hung up the phone.

In January of 1989 they made the trip to meet the mysterious singer Per or as he was known: Dead.

His home was in the welfare housing of the Kråkstaad District. He lived a few miles away from Euronymous’ house. It was a place Kirsten knew very well. It was were her grandmother lived and wasted away from the cancer. It always brought back sad memories. Benedikte squeezed her hand knowing the pain behind Kirsten’s eyes.

When they got there they made their way up the three small stairs and knocked on the door. When the door opened they had their first glimpse of Per. He was tall standing at almost six feet. He was very slight of frame and had a bit of blue hue to his skin. His blonde hair landed on his shoulder and he was not what they were expecting. He looked happy but had sadness in his eyes that showed a depressed person underneath. All things considered the Swedish man looked happy to see them all.

“Hello come in.” He beckoned.

They followed him into a small living area to the left of the hallway. To the right was a small room with a second room down the small hallway. They all sat on the couch or random places on the floor.

“I’m so glad you all listened to my demo tape. I’ve been looking to join a new band ever since I moved here. The Swedish scene, if you can even call it that, is not exactly the best and brightest.” He said venom dripping from the word scene.

“Well this is Necrobutcher and our new addition Hellhammer. These girls are in the band I was telling you about, Benedikte, Kirsten, Gry, and Alva.” Euronymous said.

They waved shyly to him. The girls seemed a bit afraid of Per. Benedikte found him fascinating especially since he sent a dead bird with his demo tape. Benedikte instantly felt a connection with Per and was excited to find someone that hopefully would stay around.

Well they spent the rest of the trip talking about the band and what was next. They wouldn’t be recording soon because of the budget was so small the record wouldn’t even get released along with all the other things that had to take place. They decided that the next day we would start rehearsing with Dead and Hellhammer at Per’s place. The Queens ov Hell could use his other room to rehearse and write new material.

They decided to stay at Per’s house that night. As Benedikte fell asleep she spiraled into a dream world of unrest and pain. In her dream she was standing in the middle of a white room. On her left a corpse was lying with a gunshot to the head with blood splatter on the white walls and on her right was another body bleeding out from a large amount of stab wounds. Standing there all alone she fell to her knees and started sobbing.

The next morning Benedikte woke up from her dream while sweat poured down her face and tears in her eyes. She walked out of the room to find Per sitting in the kitchen located at the back of the house. He startled her a bit not expecting anyone to be up.

“Hi Per, I didn’t expect you to be up early. Everyone else would sleep through a hurricane.” She said.

“Well I never really sleep much. So Benedikte how did you and your friends get into this group and into black metal.” He asked.

“I got into black metal through my cousin. I’ve always been fascinated by the music and the lyrics. I got my hands on as much as I could and learned to play bass and sing along with the music.”

“I met Kirsten the only person that shared my musical interest and we got together and formed the band. I met Alva and Gry after Kirsten convince them to play with us. We played a couple of shows and a girl gave us a copy of Mayhem and we thought it was the most amazing band ever.”

“Euronymous came to see us play and decided to help us make a demo tape. We had one concert that he helped set up and the rest is history.” Benedikte explained.

“I see I hope to witness a little of what your group can do. It’s not every day you see a girl group playing black metal. I’m glad to finally be able to be in a band that has the same views as I do.”

“Yeah it’s rare to find that. I’m gonna go and wake up the others. We need to get a move on with these rehearsals. Good thing Euronymous wanted us to load everything up last night before we came here.” Benedikte said as she walked out of the kitchen.

After everyone was up Mayhem retreated to the living room while the girls took Per’s room. His room was only a bed and a dresser so they fit right in.

The whole process took a couple of hours. The girls rehearsed their songs that they already had. Soon they started writing some ideas down for the next record. They would be going on tour with Mayhem once they got everything settled.