Never Let Go

Too Much at Stake

They stared at each other in silence, each unsure of what to say, how to act. Neither of them had thought they were going to end up kissing. Sure, the thought had crossed through Ron’s mind when he dreamt and sometimes, when he caught himself staring at her plump lips, but he’d never thought that it’d actually happen. Ron never thought that she would initiate a kiss. In his mind, she would never look at someone like him, at least not in that sense. They were best friends, had been since they were young, but for awhile now, all he could do was think about her. And now that he was sitting on a couch, with his right hand tangled in her dark curls and with her staring intently into his eyes, he was at a loss for words, his mind had shut off on him. He couldn’t believe it was actually happening. That the dreams he had lost himself in for so many nights had come true.

For her part, Emilia stared at him in silence, her lips slightly parted as she struggled to make sense of what had just happened. One moment they’d been on the couch, discussing whether or not he was a ninny. The next he’d told her she was beautiful, and then – then she leant in for a kiss. She wanted to be cross with herself for having done so, but she couldn’t. Lately, she’d found herself wondering what it’d be like to be with Ron. It was a small thought that she entertained whenever she managed to tear her mind away from the more pressing matters in her life, so to know what his lips were like was extraordinary. His lips were soft, soft and inviting, and their kiss had been soothing, yet electrifying. It was strange how he made her feel those things. It was strange how in that moment, there was no war raging, there was nothing to worry about, because all that mattered was that she was kissing him.

Hesitantly, she raised her hands to his face, allowing her fingers to run along his cheekbones, causing his eyes to close and an involuntary shudder to pass through him. How was it that it had taken her so long to notice just how brilliant he was? She’d spent all summer with him, laughing and catching up, but not once had she saw him as a boy. He was just her best mate, nothing more. But then that time in the cupboard happened, their bodies had been pressed tightly against one another and in that dimly lit room, she noticed just how much he’d grown. That room was where she’d realized that Ron was no longer a boy, but that he was becoming a man, a handsome man at that.

“Ronald,” she whispered his name softly, with so much fondness that he fond himself incapable of frowning at the sound.

For the first time in his life, he quite liked the way his full name sounded. He’d go as far as to say he loved it. He’d love anything she called him. That was just the power she had over him. And when she said his name, his eyes slowly opened, allowing his brilliant blue orbs to stare upon her grey ones. His gaze shook her to the very core. There was so much love in them, so much desire that she found herself lost in them.

Not wanting to discuss what happened, only wanting to feel her lips pressed against his, he moved in, kissing her deeper than before. Only this time, he nibbled down on her bottom lip, like he’d heard a few of the Gryffindor boys said they did whenever they snogged birds, and like they’d said, her lips parted. He nervously slipped his tongue inside her mouth, unsure of how to move it, of whether she’d even want to touch it, but when her tongue grazed against his, reassuring him that it was alright. Ron grew bolder, dropping his hand from her hair and placing it on her hip, allowing it to make its home there.

Their tongues moved slowly at first, testing the waters, seeing what was alright, what wasn’t. They eventually fell into a steady rhythm, one that had them both smiling and holding onto one another tightly. Their hands weren’t exploring each other’s bodies. They were far too nervous for that, afraid of crossing a line and upsetting the other. So they just kissed, her hand on his cheek, while his happily rested on her hip.

In time, they pulled apart, each gasping for breath to fill their lungs which were in dire need of air. Their cheeks were flustered, minds even more confused than before, but their hearts were fluttering. Whatever this was, it was brilliant and it made them feel happier than they could remember having ever felt. The world seemed filled with endless possibilities as they stared into each other’s eyes, there was nothing that they couldn’t do, not as long as they were together. That was all that mattered, the important element in their happiness. If Ron could be with her, he’d be alright. No. Better than alright, he’d never be able to complain about anything ever again. Not even when the house elves burnt the bacon sandwiches he was so fond of.

“Bloody hell,” he whispered, breaking the silence.

She let out a soft laugh, tilting her head to the side as she did so. “Was that a good bloody hell?” she let her hand fall from his cheek and onto her lap.

Ron nodded. “It was brilliant, real brilliant. Didn’t expect it though, wanted to do it for awhile, but never had the nerve and then you – well you went right in.” he rambled nervously, his ears turning an alarming shade of red.

“You’ve wanted to kiss me?” she asked, her eyes wide with wonder.

“I, well, yeah.”

“Why didn’t you?”

“Was nervous, and all. You know? Wasn’t sure how to do it,” he mumbled the last bit more to himself than to her.

She felt her heart smile widen even further. “Ron, was this your first kiss?”

“Don’t tell the twins. Never let me live it down, told them I snogged a bird during my fourth year, but no, was just a lie.”

“I won’t tell them. I just think that’s adorable.” Emilia took his hand in hers and gave it a gentle squeeze.

“Don’t think blokes are supposed to be called adorable often. Not as often as you’ve been doing it.”

“Well, I snog adorable blokes. So –”

“I'm adorable, then.” Ron declared, smiling at her, despite his nerves.

“So very,” she leant forwards, placing a soft kiss on his lips.

“Emi?” he mumbled into her lips.

She pulled away. “Hmm?” she asked.

“What’s this mean?” he’d never been with a girl before, never snogged one, never held a hand, this was uncharted territory for him.

“I don’t know.” Emilia admitted. “But whatever this is, I like it.”

Ron stared at their hands. “Wont be able to be in public. Are we?”

“You want to snog in public?” she nearly laughed.

“Want to do a lot of things in public,” he grinned mischievously at her. “Reckon won’t be able to on account of how things are. I mean, I don’t have a problem with holding your hand in public or anything, but I just thought that –”

“Why would you want to hold my hand in public?”

“Because you’re my bird now, aren’t you? Know I didn’t ask if ya wanted to be, but I thought, since you –”

That time she didn’t interrupt him with words, she interrupted him by latching her lips onto his and sending him stumbling onto the couch. Her hands made their way into his hair, as his hands nervously rested on his hips, his thumbs making circular motions. When she finally pulled away, her curls had fallen into her face, and she was smiling at him with such fondness that he felt himself come undone.

“I don’t like the way bird sounds, but I’ll be your girlfriend.” She paused before adding. “But you’re right about not being able to be in public, like this. There’s too much at stake.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for the Comments!

limegreenworld
Tati.the.Strange
noratheneurotic
Peace_Love_Jonas
i2see2a2wall