Status: Active.

You Just Do

Score!

I missed this. I missed the familiar atmosphere before a big game. I missed getting dressed up in a fine suit. I missed being at the Center before a game. I just missed hockey. Though, tonight the feeling of absence was gone.

Before my injury, getting dressed up in an expense suit was just a hassle before a game, now that it signaled I could play again, it was something almost exciting and new. Something that was also new was Olivier coming to the games and cheering me on. Giving me a secret kiss before I got in the locker room, but I wanted more than a secret smooch. I wanted to hold hands walking into the Center. I wanted him to hangout with the girlfriends and wives and talk about how it is being with a hockey player. I just wanted us to be a normal couple, but when you a famous hockey player in a gay relationship; its not possible.

I arrived at the Center early to meet with the trainer and double check that my knee was in good shape. Fortunately, according to the trainer my knee had healed perfectly and I was in for today’s game. Unfortunately, Olivier wasn’t with me when I arrived so I didn’t even get a secret kiss. He had texted me earlier in the day telling me that he would arrive with his brother around four.

I paced around the empty locker room waiting for my fellow players and friends to arrive. Slowly my team trotted in one by one and greeted me with open arms. I guess they were really glad to see me after all the time I spent off the ice. Max walked into the locker room around 4:30, he was always late, with Olivier shyly trailing behind. His slightly shaggy hair was covering his eyes but our eyes met for a second and we exchanged secret smiles. I could tell by his tense body language that he didn’t know what to do in this situation. There must have been a struggle in his mind about whether or not he should greet me. He didn’t. He said a few words to his brother and then walked out of the locker room. It shouldn’t have hurt because I know he didn’t mean it, but it still did.

The rest of the time before the game was a blur. I was trying to just think about the game and I think that really paid off because on the ice I was on fire. Halfway through the first period we were already leading with a goal I made on Price. It felt like I was on top of the world. I tried to keep of the nagging feeling of being a secret with Olivier out of my mind. For the most part it worked because with five minutes left in the third period, I got a hat trick. It wasn’t my first but it was definitely the best with Olivier watching in the stands. We won against the Canadian team 3-0.

There was a hooping and a hollering on the way back to the team room and tons of ‘congratulations’ and ’good job Geno’ throw at me. It felt good to be the center of attention for my work on the ice. I was unlacing my skate when I heard the quiet squeak of the door, and Olivier shyly snuck in. It was so funny seeing him like this cause when we were together, he was loud and crazy and always laughing. I motioned for him to come over to my stall, but he just stared at me like I was crazy. I gave him puppy dog’s eye and jutted out my lower lip. He rolled his eyes and timidly walked over, not knowing what I wanted in such a public place. When he got close enough I slightly pulled down on the collar of his shirt so my mouth could reach his ear.

“I don’t want us to be a secret anymore,” was the last thing I whispered before I crashed my lips onto his in front of everyone in the locker room.