It's Never Gonna Be Too Late.

She's On Her Own.

Alex's POV.

She spoke for the first time since the night she got home from the hospital.
Ironically, I felt a small amount of relief.
"I doubt there's nothing on your mind. Speak up, will you?"
"No," she stubbornly said.
"I take it you're only going to give me one word answers.."
I started to get aggrivated.
I watched as she took another drag of the deadly cancer stick.
We walked on the city sidewalks in silence, absorbing the teeming city life.
I continued onto the crosswalk, almost to the other block, when I realized she had turned the corner without warning.
I jogged across the street to her side.
"Thanks for letting me know which way you were going," I told her.
"Welcome," she said.
"Don't be such a smart ass. I've really had it with you."
"Oh yeah? Well I've had it with everybody on that fucking bus." She raised her voice.
"No one can see that I want to be alone. I don't want anyone, I don't need anyone. And right now, you're on thin ice with me."
"Well, that little stunt you pulled back there yesterday so showed you're capable of being left alone." I rolled my eyes and laughed at her.
"That's it," she said, and she took off, throwing her unfinished cigarette to the ground.
She sprinted down the sidewalk into an unknown city.
I had no choice but to run after her.
"Ashe!" I called to her back.
After fifteen minutes of me chasing her, she got tired and fell to the ground in an alley.
I walked quickly to where she was and stood above her.
"You really don't care, do you?" I asked her.
She caught her breath and looked up at me.
"No, I don't," she answered. "Now if you don't mind, get the fuck away from me and leave me alone."
"You know I can't."
"No, you can, you just choose not to because you don't want to let your poor Mikey and Gerard down."
"Don't you dare bring Mikey into this."
"I will if I have to. Now leave."
That's exactly what I did.
I didn't care anymore.
With my hands in my pockets, my head down, I walked the twenty-five minute walk back to the bus.