A Nightmare Come True

Texas

After a couple months things got better. Kat came out of her coma, and Christmas break is just a few weeks away. This year Cody and his family are going to Texas to be with his grandparents. He surprised me by convincing his parents to let me come with them. My parents also surprised me by letting me go. I think they let me because they knew how much the winter cold depressed me in Kansas, and it is warmer in Texas. I was so excited to be going with Cody’s family and to be spending the holiday away from mine because of how much fighting that goes on every year because of the most pointless things. The fighting has been happening a lot more since my mom had another kid. Now there are nine kids, plus we also have five pets – cat, dog, bearded dragon, and two rabbits.

-Time gap-

School has been stressful because it is the last week until break and we have finals. I haven’t seen much of Cody because he has been busy studying (I have never needed to study and have no clue how). I am ready for Friday to hit so that I can leave this wretched town, but the week just drags along. Once Saturday hits I head over to Cody’s house and say good-bye to my parents. I put my stuff in the Graham’s car. Cody came up behind me and gave me a hug as I turned around. All five of us then got into the car and started on our way.

The ride down was pretty boring. Cody and I ended up trying to ignore Amanda and listening to music. He would also play Pokémon on his Gameboy Color while I played on my DS. After nine long hours of driving we finally arrived at his grandparents’ home. It’s a beautiful old house two-story gothic styled house painted dark blue with white shutters. The front hall and living room were painted light brown with random knick-knacks placed throughout the room giving it a welcoming feel. Cody and I were sharing a room. Its walls are neon green with two twin beds on opposite walls with a tv set in the middle of them at the foot. There were some toys in the far corner with a massive bookshelf next to them which included books in English, German, French, and Spanish. I ended up reading some of each language (yes I know four languages, five including sign language).

We put up our stuff then went into the living room where everyone was sitting, catching up. WE sat down and I was introduced to his grandma and granddad.
“Where are you from?” asked his grandma.
“Yungaburra, Queensland. It’s in Australia.” I said.
“When did you move to the US? It doesn’t sound like you have been here very long.” His granddad said.
“I moved here in kindergarten, but I go back every summer break to see friends and enjoy their stormy winters. Some years I go back during Christmas break too.”
“How many siblings do you have?”
“Eight, oldest to youngest is 27, 25, 24, 22, 21, 15, 12, and 5.”

The questions kept going with simple things like that. With every response they would seem like they were truly interested in learning more about me. They were truly surprised when I told them how many siblings I have thought. I can see why Cody’s parents are so kind. Eventually everyone headed off into separate rooms to be alone. For once Amanda wasn’t full of annoying, pointless questions. Cody and I went back to our room and lay down on his bed watching Code Lyoko. At some point we ended up talking about sex. We both decided that we didn’t care about when to have sex as long as we were okay with whom and the timing.

He kissed me after a short silence and we made out. Our shirts ended up on the floor and his hands were at my boobs with my tongue in his mouth. We didn’t let it go any further than that though for fear of someone walking in and catching us. We decided to go to sleep soon after, but we stayed in the same bed. When I woke up I was on the floor with the blankets from my bed, and Cody is still in his bed. I decided to go back to sleep. I woke up to Cody shaking me awake telling me it’s time for breakfast and that we have to join everyone or else it is considered an insult to his grandparents.

Breakfast was pretty strange to me because nobody was fighting or complaining. When someone would talk everyone would listen respectfully without interruption. It was so unusual for me so I just sat there in silence like always trying not to be in the way of everything. After breakfast Cody and I got dressed and went for a walk around the neighborhood. He said he does this all the time with Amanda, but they got boring a few years ago so they stopped. He tricked me and we waked to a park full of swings! I have had so many great things happen to me while on/around them. I ran to them with Cody following behind laughing.
“Why are you laughing at me?”
“I’m just remembering why you love swings so much.” he commented.
“It’s not my fault that the last memory I have of my sister is on a swing set.”
“That’s not the memory I am thinking of. I was thinking of when we were in grade one and a sixth grader wanted your swing so you gave him a black eye without hesitation. You have always been so defensive even if there was no need to be.” He said laughing and pulling me off my swing and onto his lap. I turned to look at him, but he was closer than I expected causing me to blush. He quickly kissed me and I kissed back wrapping my arms around his neck while he wrapped his around my waist.

-Lunch time-

When we got back the table has been set and everyone is about to sit. We all sat and started to eat. I was beginning to get jealous of his family because I have never heard them fight or raise their voices for anything other than trying to communicate across the house, which was rare. They actually asked each other questions that they wanted to know. They wouldn’t ask something they already knew and just wanted to trick you into lying about it.

Back in out room Cody asked why I am so quiet around his family. That is when I admitted how afraid I was of giving them the wrong impression and having them hate me or they would start to act like my family.

-Next Day (Christmas)-

We were woken up by Amanda banging on the door, running in and yelling at us that it’s time to open presents. I put sweat pants on over my shorts and followed her to the living room with Cody next to me. I glanced at a couple of the presents and noticed that I had some under the tree from my parent. I figured they wouldn’t care enough to send some to me, and I would just get to them when I got back into Kansas. Being reminded of them made me wonder how much they have been fighting since I left.

Amanda was the first to open a present. She received a t-shirt with her favorite animals on the front. I was the next to open one. Inside was an Arabic CD that my brother sent over from Iraq. Cody was next; he got a shirt and CD from one of his favorite bands. We took our turns opening presents until every present had been opened. The last thing I opened was a letter from my parents telling me that all is well and things were quiet around the house. They all said that they enjoyed it and decided that if I want to go back to Yungaburra every winter break I could. That was the only part of the letter I enjoyed. I instantly fell quiet once I finished reading the letter.

Cody pulled me into our room once we finished with dinner and wanted to know why I had been so insanely silent, even to him. I sat on my bed crying with Cody on his bed not sure what to say. He walked over to me and held me silently while I cried. He didn’t try to pry what the letter said. He knew that if I wanted to tell him I would in good time. I sat there crying thinking to myself that this is the last time I go with someone out of state for the holidays (Australia doesn’t count). Thankfully we didn’t have much left of the trip. I did my best at being nice, talking, and trying to act like a member of the Graham family until the trip ended. Cody wasn't fooled by my act. He knew I was hurting a lot but he didn’t want to press me about it until we were back in Kansas away from his family.

-Back in Kansas-

When I got home I went straight to my room, unpacked and only came out to do my chores, eat, and go to school. I was too afraid that I would start a fight or make everyone in the house unhappy by making it known that I am home. I avoided Cody until he saw me in class once winter break ended. He looked kind of sad when he looked at me. I wasn’t sure what to expect in the first conversation since I’ve been back home.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the long break in posting I will try to post more often. I hope you like it. I'm not sure what I think of it over all.