Status: Complete

With Teeth So Sharp

Prologue

"I don't want you to leave," she said, tears welling up in her bright green eyes.

"I don't want to leave either," he told her as the wind started blowing her long black hair around her. "But I have to." He took her face in his hands and kissed her lips.

"Promise me you'll come back."

"Of course I will. I swear."

The tears slipped from eyes and rolled down her cheeks. "It isn't fair."

"I know, but I have to go."

She squeezed her eyes shut, hoping that when she reopened them she'd wake up in her bed. That it would all be just a dream, that there wouldn't be a war going on, and that her husband wouldn't be leaving her side to go fight in it. "Be careful," she told him. "Don't get yourself killed."

"I'll do my best." She gave the blonde man a small smile. He unbuttoned his jacket and tore away the hem of his gray shirt. He kneeled down and slid her skirt up her leg, revealing her thigh. He tied the strip of cloth around it and kissed her leg right above her knee before standing back up. "Keep me close to your thighs," he told her. "The thought will warm us both."

She nodded her head and he wrapped his arms tightly around her waist. She laid her head against his shoulder as more tears began to fall. When he pulled away from the embrace he wiped the tears from her face. "I love you Jasper Whitlock."

"I love you too, Beverly Whitlock."

He walked over to his horse and climbed up on it. She gave him another weak smile as he rode away. She stood there watching as her husband left. "I'll come back to you, even if it's the last thing I ever do!" he called out to her. She sighed as she watched her husband ride away into the horizon. Little did she know, it was the last time she'd see him, for a very long time.
♠ ♠ ♠
I got the idea for the part about the cloth from the first episode of Spartacus. Anyways, this is just to get everything started. I hope everyone enjoys it, and I'll write more soon.