Status: Complete

With Teeth So Sharp

Return

I sat outside by Beverly's grave, my back against the tombstone. A few times Alice had come outside and tried to talk me into coming inside, but I refused. At another point Emmett had come outside and sat down next to me, and attempted to keep me company, but it proved to be pointless. And was dark now, and it was raining. I watched as Nessie shut the door and started walking towards me. She knelt down in front of me, "Uncle Jasper, please come inside," she said.

"In a few minutes."

She sighed, "Okay." She stood up and walked closer to me, then put her arms around me, hugging me. She pulled away and looked down at my face. There was an unusual sadness to her eyes. She smiled comfortingly then turned to go back inside. I sighed and leaned back against the headstone.

"I'm so sorry Beverly," I whispered. "You should have never even had to meet him in the first place. It's all my fault. I should have been there for you."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

The last thing I remembered was fire, and screaming. Loud shrieks of pain, my skin melting. Now I was cool...and wet. I was lying somewhere damp. I could smell wet dirt all around me. I had been buried. I had to get out. I pushed my hands up, clawing at the earth around me. I didn't know if I was going the right direction or not, but I had to try. Finally my fingers broke through to the surface, and I felt raindrops hitting them. I kept pushing the dirt out of my way. I had to reach the surface.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Finally I decided that I should go inside. I stood up and started walking towards the house. I took two steps and then heard a moaning behind me. I turned and watched as pale white fingers came up out of the ground. The hands pushed away dirt, and finally Beverly climbed out of the grave. Her skin was no longer burned, and her hair was thick and flowing. Her leather boots and jacket were still covered in ash, but her jeans and tank top had holes in them from the fire. "How are you...." was all I could get out.

"How am I alive?" she asked, finishing my sentence. She shook her head, "I don't know." She looked down at herself, "I don't understand why my skin isn't melted away either."

I ran to her, wrapping my arms around her, "Oh, Beverly, I'm so happy you're not dead. I felt as if it was my fault."

"Jasper, calm down, there's no way you could have known this would happen."

"But if I had of come back, like I promised, you would of never went searching for me. This would have never happened to you."

The corners of her lips turned upwards in the slightest amount and she looked at me with nothing but love in her eyes. "It's okay Jasper. I've forgiven you." She blinked then continued, "I'm still leaving though." She stood up on the tips of her toes and pressed her lips to mine, I love you Jasper, I heard her voice in my head, I always will. Stay here with Alice though, I want nothing but for you to be happy.

She pulled away and if it wasn't for the rain I would think I had seen a tear in her eye. She turned and started walking away. "I love you Beverly," I whispered into the night, knowing that she heard me anyways.