Status: Complete

With Teeth So Sharp

Saving Emmett

An hour or so passed after Beverly left and everyone had gotten back except for Emmett. When Rosalie and Alice walked in Rosalie asked, "Where's Emmett? I thought he would be the first one back."

I shrugged, "I haven't seen him."

"Alice, do you think you can find him?"

"I can try." Everyone watched expectantly as her facial expression turned to horror. "We have to get to the clearing...fast!"

We got up and started to leave when Carlisle stopped me, "Jasper, I think you should stay."

"No! I'm going with you."

He sighed, but didn't object and we ran as fast as we could, Alice and Rosalie in the front. When we got to the clearing Beverly was standing there, a wicked smile spread across her face. Emmett was suspended in the air above her. He looked like he was in immense pain. "Before I get rid of you," she said, "Tell me one thing, why are your eyes brown?"

"Because...I don't feed...on humans," he said through clenched teeth. He was obviously in pain. "I feed on...animals."

Beverly looked disgusted, "Why? It tastes so awful." She shook her head, "Oh well, it doesn't matter." Then she looked at us and her smile grew even wider. How had my sweet, innocent wife become so vicious? "Come to say your goodbyes?" she asked, laughter filling her voice.

"Let him go!" Rosalie begged.

"Give me him, and I will," she said, nodding towards me.

"Over my dead body!" Alice snapped, stepping in front of me.

"Perhaps you want to join...what was your name again? Oh, right, Emmett." With a nod of her head Beverly had Alice suspended in the air as well. I was awestruck. If she could do this, why hadn't she done it to me when we fought in the woods earlier? Maybe she had just been toying with me.

"Please Beverly, let them go," I said, stepping towards her.

"Why should I?"

"Because you're not yourself."

"You haven't seen me in a couple hundred years. You don't know what's me and what isn't."

"I know the woman I married was a sweet woman, who wouldn't hurt a fly. And I know you don't want to kill them. Just let them go."

"This one is no good to me anyways, it's her that's the problem." With that one sentence Emmett fell to the ground and Rosalie ran to him. Alice moved through the air, closer to her, "This one is your new wife. The woman that stands in between us." She quit talking to me as she looked at Alice, "Give me one good reason," she whispered, "why I should spare your life."

Alice tried to choke out an answer, but the words weren't coming. Beverly stood there laughing. "Beverly," I said her name softly as I walked to her, slowly. "Please, this isn't you. I know you're upset, and you have every right to be, but you can't do this." I reached out and put one hand on her shoulder. As I did Alice flew through the air and knocked Esme and Carlisle down as if they were bowling pins. Beverly turned to me, sadness in her eyes.

"I loved you Jasper, why couldn't you keep your promise?" If vampires could cry, she was about to.

"I wanted to, I really did, but I was afraid you wouldn't want me like this. I thought you would consider me a monster."

"I guess I'm the monster now." Before I could do anything, she was gone.

Carlisle walked over to me and put one hand on my shoulder. "Just let her go."

I nodded. I didn't really want to. I knew the girl I had fallen in love with was somewhere inside of her, it was just locked up tight, hidden away from the world. Something dreadful had happened to turn her into this. I knew I could find out if I was given the chance. I knew I could make everything right.