Status: Complete

With Teeth So Sharp

A Birthday Present

A few days went by, and we didn't see Beverly. Carlisle was convinced that she was planning something big, and constantly had Alice try and see something. She never could get a vision though. "Maybe she hasn't decided on what she's going to do yet," Bella said.

I shook my head, "Beverly's very smart. She would've made some kind of plan by now."

"Maybe she's found a way to block it," Emmett said.

"That might be possible," Carlisle said, sitting down on the couch. "I've never met a vampire that has the power of telekinesis before. Who knows what else she might be able to do."

"We can worry about it later," Esme said, "Right now we have a birthday party to set up for, and Jacob and them will be here any minute to help."

We walked outside and started setting up for Nessie's party. It was going to be small. Just Charlie, the wolves, and us, but Alice insisted on going all out anyways. When we were almost finished, Beverly showed up. She walked out of the woods with a bag slung over her shoulder. Everyone except for me got ready to attack her if necessary. "I'm not here to hurt anyone," she said, glancing at Emmett, and then Alice. "I just wanted to say I'm sorry. I was upset, and lost my head. I'll be leaving tomorrow, and none of you will ever see me again." She walked up to me, and gave me a weak smile. Alice tensed next to me. She held out her hand, something was enclosed inside it. I reached out and she placed a strip of gray cloth with her wedding ring tied around it in my hand.

She turned to Alice and said, "I'm sorry. I really am. Jasper's happy with you, and I wish you both nothing but the best."

Alice didn't respond. Beverly glanced at Jacob and said, "I thought vampires and werewolves were supposed to be enemies."

"We used to be," Jacob said, a smile on his face.

She smiled back and then turned to Nessie. "You must be Jasper's niece."

She nodded and Beverly pulled a doll out of her bag. It had long, wavy, black hair and piercing green eyes. It had been made when Beverly was a child. She walked over to Nessie and handed it to her, kneeling down as she said, "It was mine when I was a child. I used to dream of giving it to a daughter of my own, but...that's never going to happen. So I want you to have it. Happy birthday."

"Thank you." Nessie took the doll from her, smiling as she did, "She's really pretty. She looks just like you."

Beverly smiled and stood back up. She took one look at each of us, and then left.