Status: Complete

With Teeth So Sharp

Buried

The next day no one believed what Beverly had said about leaving, except for me. I knew the look in her eye when she said she was leaving, and I knew she meant every word of it. "Try again Alice," Carlisle said.

"I think it's pointless. She's blocking her mind."

"If she's leaving perhaps her guards are down."

Alice sighed and went into her trance-like state when she's watching someone's decisions. "She's in the woods with another vampire. They're fighting. She's going to die."

I ran out of the house. I had to find her. I couldn't let her die. I should have been there for her the first time, and I wasn't going to let something happen to her by not being for her this time. When I got to the woods a tall man with slicked back black hair was standing there laughing. He was holding Beverly by the neck, and she was struggling to break free. "Let her go!" I shouted.

The man turned his head towards me, "Well, look at that Beverly, you found your husband after all." He chuckled and turned back to her, "I'm honestly surprised you lasted so long. I had expected you to be dead within a week."

"Please Daniel, don't hurt him," she pleaded.

He laughed. It was a deep, booming laugh filled with evil. The man was truly a monster.

"Jasper, leave," she moaned, glancing at me.

I shook my head, "No! Let go of her!"

The man glared at me, and then with a glance at Beverly she burst into flames. It was horrifying. The flames licked her body and she screamed out in pain. It hurt my ears to listen. He laughed the whole time. Finally, he dropped her charred body to the ground, and the flames disappeared as quickly as they came. I charged at him. He grabbed me and threw me into a large tree. My back hit it and I fell to the ground. He walked up to me, a smile on his face. He knelt down in front of me, "Now, the question is whether I should get rid of you as easily as I got rid of her, or if I should break you into pieces before burning you."

Out of the corner of my right eye I seen three of the wolves edging the forest. I glanced to the left and seen three more. I smiled.

"What do you find so amusing?" he asked.

"The fact that you're outnumbered for one," Jacob said from behind him. He turned around and watched as Jacob ran towards him. He jumped into the air and transformed into a wolf in mid-leap. The others attacked as well. As they tore him into shreds I ran over to Beverly's ashen body. I scooped her stiff body up into my arms.

"Beverly, please say something," I pleaded. "Don't be dead." My chest hurt and I felt like I was going to die. The hair that hadn't burned away fell out in my hands. Pieces of burnt skin fell away at my touch. "Beverly."

I felt a hand on my shoulder and looked up to see Alice next to me. They all should of been here sooner. Beverly wouldn't of died if they would have been here sooner. "She's gone Jasper," Alice whispered.

"No, no, no, no..." I shook my head, refusing to believe it.

"Come on Jasper, we'll bury her at the house."

"I'm going to do it myself."

She nodded her head and I stood up, holding Beverly's body close to me. I walked back to the house whispering to Beverly's body how sorry I was. I should have been there for her from the very beginning. I should have done whatever it took to get home to her, regardless of what I had become. She should have never had to come looking for me. Now she was gone.

I arrived back at the house and laid Beverly gently on the ground before starting to dig her grave. When it was deep enough, long enough, and wide enough I climbed out of the grave and scooped her body back up. I jumped back in and laid her down. Then I softly pressed my lips to her charred forehead and whispered, "I'll always love you Bev." I climbed out of the grave and covered her body with the dirt.

When I was finished I seen Emmett and Rosalie walking towards me. Emmett was carrying a large, gray stone. "I didn't know when she was born, and Rose thought it would be strange if someone seen it and it said that Beverly had lived for a couple of centuries, so it just has her name on it," Emmett explained as he handed me the tombstone. He and Rosalie had went into town and had it made while I buried Beverly. Her name was written across it with "BELOVED WIFE" written in smaller letters underneath.

I planted the tombstone at the head of the grave. "Thank you," I said to them. They both hugged me tightly.