The Reverend and Gloria.

I've never had a friend before.

I begged her to stay, I don't know why I said those two fatal words. Then, I finished my short sentence with a few other words.

"I've... Never had a friend before." I stated, standing to my full height. "Please, sit down.." I pointed to the bed and watched as she did. She gave a slight yelp when it sank under her. I smirked slightly and sat in my old worn computer chair, the shadows of the room hiding my face.

"It does that. So... Why did you move here then?"
"Personal reasons, plus I wanted a change." She stated softly in her defense. I rolled my eyes slightly, but she couldn't see that because of the shadow.

"New York doesn't change anything, it makes it worse. I moved here from Texas after my dad decided I wasn't good enough for him because I was smarter than him. I traveled here and made my way in the city, but no one understood my plans for anything.."

"What type of plans Rev?" She questioned me. That was never good.
"Um, just... Trying to invent things and such, but they were always taken away." I saw she gave a nod and pushed myself out into the light.

"Would you like a drink?" I asked, politely as I could, but there was still venom laced with my voice.

"Um... Okay, thanks." She said, but a bit hesitant. I opened the fridge and pulled out a can of beer. I tossed her one and she caught it, opening it quietly. I grabbed a bottle of Vodka and poured it into a glass, before drinking it slowly.

I watched her quietly before setting my glass down and a huge clock chimed on the wall. She looked at it, wondering why it's chimes sounded it was dieing or something. She frowned, looking at the time.

"Clock is wrong." I frowned at her short statement and shook my head.
"What? Oh no, that clock hasn't worked for years. I just like to hear the chimes. I'm sorry but I have to carry on with working on a new project..."

I saw her gaze to a wrapped bundle behind me. "What's in there?"
"A stray puppy that was sadly struck down by a car. His face was hit first and all torn. I'm fixing him up."

I saw her nod and she paled, she placed the half empty can on the side table, before getting up and hurrying out the door, saying her goodbyes.

I sighed and turned back round to my work. "Alright puppy, let's see if I can fix you."

Little did I know, she was standing outside, listening.