Abyss

you'll never make it out alive.

“It’s going to be okay,” she whispered softly to herself. Rocking back and forth, her arms tightened around her knees as she pulled them to her chest.

“It’s going to be okay.”

The only noise that could be heard in the lonely, white room was her quiet, repetitive murmurs and the small clap of her bare back gently smacking against the corner of the wall.

She wanted everything to go back to normal. She wanted to smile again. She wanted to laugh and truly be happy, but once you've experienced that type of suffering, there is no way that you'll ever be the same.

Her damaged heart gave a painful, tight squeeze as she thought about her past life, her joyous, innocent life. Oh, how she missed it, missed loving and being loved, missed having friends and family to help through her dark times.

And the worst part was not that she lost everything and everyone. That was nothing compared to the betrayal that accompanied her existence every second of every day. The worst part was that they gave up. They gave up on trying to rid her of everything they deemed wrong, her demons being too much to handle. They gave up on her. And now she was confined, doomed to live out the rest of her wasted life within horrid white walls.

Suddenly, an ice cold chill crept into her small prison, floating up every wall, hiding in every corner, filling every single crevice. She knew what was coming.

Her heart beat fast and wild, thrashing and kicking against her chest. She pulled her knees closer, a small groan escaping her lips as the pain of her thrumming heart spread throughout her entire body. A feeling of dread weighed down on the entire room, making her feel as if she were being suffocated. Her throat closed in, preventing any oxygen from going in or out of her lungs. A strangled sob barely passed through her mouth when she began trembling uncontrollably. Her fingernails dug into the delicate skin of her bare thighs as she rocked even faster.

“No, no, no, no, no! Go away! Leave me alone!” She managed to cry, fingernails digging deeper. She could feel it—the ominous, menacing presence ghosting through her room.

It emerged from the left ceiling corner first—a small, weak, gray shadow. And then it expanded, turning pitch black as it engulfed every inch of the room, leaving nothing but a sinister, gaping hole.

She tried to move back farther, tried to get away from it, but the shadow only moved faster, swallowing everything in its wake. A loud, blood-curdling scream filled the air when the blackness enveloped her. She writhed about, struggling against its iron grip as it pulled her in, roughly grabbing at all of her limbs and abrading every inch of her exposed flesh. She screamed, one final agonized scream, and then she gave in.

It took hold of her entire being, concealing her within its hungry grasp, and she sank further into the dark, bottomless pit; into her sorrow-filled abyss.