The Silver Chain

The Silver Chain: Chapter 1

Aerin shifted another load of filthy straw and manure into the cart in the aisle with her pitchfork. Under her breath, she whistled an old tune, from a nursery rhyme that every child in these parts knew.
She lifted the last of the dirty straw into the cart and put the pitchfork away. With a sigh, she stretched, her back popping and muscles loosening after being pulled taut for the long periods of time. She always made sure that the eight stalls were properly clean. Aerin lifted the handles of the cart, and wheeled it outside, toward the rather large and particularly malodorous compost heap. She dropped the cart off at the shed nearby after dumping it, and hurried back toward the inn.
With eyes downcast and head bent, she couldn’t have seen the man. He, on the other hand, should have been paying attention, but, alas, it was dark by now, and he certainly wasn’t expecting someone to collide with him. But the collision happened, and Aerin fell backwards, sitting down hard, while the stranger stumbled a few steps, before righting himself again.
Aerin shook her head to clear it, for she had been expecting the crash no more than he. A hand presented itself in her line of sight, and she looked up at its owner. He grinned apologetically down.
“Sorry miss, I didn’t see you.” he said as he pulled her to her feet. “No harm done, I hope?” Aerin shook her head, indicating that nothing serious had been inflicted upon her.
“Good, I’m glad. Might you direct me toward the inn here?” She nodded, still mildly shocked, and with shyness rapidly stepping forward to take its place. She turned, and motioned for him to follow, which he did.
He was from up north, judging from the accent he had. His hand was calloused, just as her hands were, from hard work. He was of medium build, thin, but with apparent strength in his lean arms and body. Her first impression was that of the lean tomcat that hunted in the barn, keeping it free of vermin. As for the rest of his face, she could not be sure, for it was quite dark, and, unlike the tomcat, she could not see well in the dark.
Aerin left him at the inn door, and hurried around to the kitchens, to get supper. She ate quickly, and cleaned her plate as though demon-possessed; unaware that a blush was bright upon her face, as though she had just run many miles.
♠ ♠ ♠
yay.