Status: Ongoing

The Last of October

Play me, play that game

October Brehton walked around Michigan Avenue in a fast pace, as if she was a woman on a mission. In fact she was a woman on a mission. Her friends did not like to be kept waiting, and she was already ten minutes late. She had been so caught up in her job that she forgot that she was supposed to be meeting up with them at Starbucks, which was almost impossible to forget since they worked together.

Once she stepped into Starbucks, she was greeted with a chorus of 'finally' as they started to complain that she took too long getting to Starbucks. She sheepishly explained that she got caught up with a client talking about plans.

"Thanks," she said when Lisa handed her, her coffee. She greedily took a sip of her warm coffee and sighed in contentment. "I love Starbucks," she declared happily. Opening her eyes, October looked at everyone curiously. "Why is everyone in such a bad mood?"

While Jessica and Amber remained quiet, Lisa chuckled. "Amber got dumped by her boyfriend for another girl and Jess, tried to hook up with his best friend," she informed the brunette.

Furrowing her eyebrows, October tilted her head to the side. "I didn't know you had a boyfriend. Who's the lucky guy?" she asked taking another sip of her coffee.

"Jonathan Toews," Amber mumbles.

Shocked, October spits the contents of her coffee out of her mouth. Luckily there wasn't much or else Amber and Jessica would have been sprayed with coffee.

"Ew, that's disgusting October," whined Jessica as she wiped some of the liquid that landed on her face.

"Sorry," she mumbled and wiped her mouth. "Jonathan Toews? Really?" she asked with a tone of surprise.

Amber just rolled her eyes. Of course October would be sceptical. "Yes Jonathan fucking Toews. Is that so hard to believe? I'm sorry not all of us look like you," she said moodily and stabbed her cake.

October looked taken aback by Amber's sudden rudeness. She knew that Amber was angry about her recent break up, but she really didn't need to take it out on October. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

Snorting, Jessica gave October an 'are you kidding me?' look. "Do you see that guy?" she asked pointing over to the male model looking man behind October. As stealthily as she could, October looked over her shoulder and saw the man staring at her. "Yeah we've been trying to get that fine piece of ass's attention since we arrived. You walk in and he looks like some love sick puppy."

"He's not staring at me," October tried to deny.

"Yes, that's why he's walking over here right now looking like he wants to bang you right here on the table," Lisa piped up sarcastically and took a bite of her croissant.

"Hi," the man that had previously been across the room greeted October. "I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Jason," he said and stuck out his hand.

Nodding, October faked a smile and shook his hand politely. "October," she deadpanned.

"I just couldn't help but introduce myself and I was hoping for a date," he said, ignoring the flirting looks her friends were giving Jason.

"I'm sorry, but I have a boyfriend," she lied and gave him a fake smile, her patience was waning.

The man had a defeated look on his face as she those words left her mouth. He made a feeble excuse about having to leave. Once he left the table, Amber, Lisa and Jessica sighed with beaten looks present on their faces.

Jessica narrowed her eyes. "I hate going out with you," she stated, but October knew that she didn't really mean it. "Every time we're out with you, it's like you suck out all the attention from us."

Amber snapped her fingers, making all three girls look at the blonde. "That's it!" she said happily and looked at October like she had a plan. "We're going to make Jonathan fall in love with you and we're going to break his heart."

Eyes widened, October shook her head furiously. "No freaking way. There is no way am I dating some guy just so you can get your revenge."

Faking a tear, Amber's lips started to tremble. Amber was a great actress. She could make anyone do anything she wanted with a pout or faking sadness. "Don't you want to get revenge for all the guys that had done you wrong? All those guys that lied to you, played you?"

October's walls started to crack as she remembered what had happened to her way back in high school when the guy she loved played her and made her a fool. What Amber said to her really hit her. "I-I can't," she said hesitantly.
"Come on October. We all now that the reason you don't date is because of that guy in high school. Don't you want revenge? This is your chance to show that guy you aren't about to lay down and take his bullshit," Amber encouraged. That was another thing about Amber; she was an amazing motivational speaker.

The brunette looked at her friend's hopeful looks. Maybe this was her chance to make a fool of someone. To settle the scores. "Fine," she hesitated to say.

Instantly, Amber's sad look was replaced with a happy one. "Perfect!" she explained cheerily. "Now all we need to do is make a plan. But first," she started and looked October up and down. For a person whose job involved fashion, October didn't like dressing the part.

Like most women who worked at Marshal & Finch, a fashion merchandising company, Amber, Lisa and Jessica dressed in designer clothes. The best part about their job is the connections to designers, most willing give their clothes to the girls as they worked to promote the designer. October was different. Even though she was good at her job and new fashion like the back of her hand, she liked to dress in loose clothes. Her shirts looked like they were a size too big to her already skinny frame and her jeans weren't even designer.

"We need to work on your fashion. There's no way you'd ever be able catch Jonathan's attention like that. We're going to a club this Saturday, Jessica has a date with Patrick and we're coming over to fix your clothes," Amber said with finality in her voice. "You need a major wardrobe make-over and it wouldn't hurt to wear a bit of make up."

Shaking her head and closing her eyes, October inwardly groaned as she wondered what the hell she had gotten herself into. There was no way she was going to be able to fool Jonathan, eventually she was going to mess up it was only a matter of time.
♠ ♠ ♠
What did you think?
I really wanted to start this because I'm so excited for it. I know that Jonny isn't in here yet, but I'm trying to set the pace for the story. So please be patient, he will be in soon.
Comment, let me know what you think!