Status: Ongoing

The Last of October

I can't remember when the earth turned slowly

Leaving the bathroom, Jonathan groaned when he read the text Patrick Kane sent, informing him that he was going home with Jessica and that he didn't need a ride home since they took Jessica's car. He groaned again when he realized that he would be stuck with Missy and would be spending the rest of a perfectly good night fighting off her advances.

Maybe he could sneak out?

Glancing at the table, he let out a sigh of relief when he saw that the table he was previously at empty. He hoped that Missy decided to leave when Jessica informed her that she and Patrick were going back to spend the night at Patrick's.

Sparing no second thought, Jonathan headed out of the club as quickly as he could to salvage the rest of his failed night.

October walked out of the club, her face flushed in annoyance as she let out a slew of curses as she searched her bag for her wallet. She raised her hand, trying to jail a cab, but they just kept passing her by.

"Are you fucking kidding me?" she asked in a frustrated manner after the fourth taxi ignored her.

"Do you need a ride?" she heard Jonathan Toews's deep voice ask from behind her.

She quickly spun around, her long brunette hair landing on her shoulders. "Jessica was my ride and she just let me for your friend," she informed him, her tone sarcastic and somewhat hurt. "I can't believe she left me," she mumbled in a panic.

"I can give you a ride if you want," Jonathan offered before he could stop himself. As much as he was weary of Missy, he couldn't leave her stranded some club in Chicago. No, he was raised better than to treat women like trash.

Closing her eyes, October weighed her options. If she declined his offer, she would be stuck alone in the middle of downtown Chicago. But if she accepted, she would be stuck alone with Jonathan. October couldn't help but laugh at the irony of her situation.

The one person she swore to forever hate was the one person saving her ass from being stranded in some sketchy part of town. Lynette was going to die of laughter when she hears about it.

"Yeah, I'd love a ride, if that's okay with you."

"It's not a problem," he reassured her quickly and led her to the back of the club where his Chevy Tahoe was parked.

"Thanks for the ride," October said once they were both in the car.

Jonathan gave her a sideways smile and shook his head trying to appear friendlier. "Again, it's not a problem. Where do you live?"

October quickly gave her address and rested her head on the cool glass of the window. "I never should have come tonight," she mumbled silently to herself.

"Why do you say that?"

October sat up straight and swore to herself for saying what she had said out loud. "It's nothing to do with you. Its, uh, just that I don’t like clubs," she admitted sheepishly, knowing that most girls her age loved to party. "I just find the whole environment weird and uncomfortable. To be honest, I'd rather spend my night playing Call of Duty," she found herself confessing to Jonathan.

Jonathan let out a hearty laugh and looked at her for a brief second. Her admitting that she was a gamer was the last thing he expected.

"Is something funny?" she asked with a mischievous smile.

"It's nothing bad; I just didn't expect someone like you to be spending her nights playing on an Xbox."

"For your information, I'm more of a PS3 kind of girl, and yes I'd rather be playing video games than grinding with some sketchy guy as dorky as it sounds."

Jonathan shook his head and smiled an genuine smile at Missy. "Its not. I think it's cute actually."

October thanked the gods for the cover the darkness was providing because she was blushing like mad at his compliment. Even after all these years, Jonathan still managed to make her blush and make her heart beat fast, much to her chagrin.

To be honest, her time with Jonathan in the car, she completely forgot who he was and what he had done to her. To October, he was just a sweet guy who managed to catch her attention. To her, he was a gentleman that knew how to treat women.

"About earlier," October started uneasily. "I'm sorry about the way I acted and I made you uncomfortable. I'm honestly not used to this whole club scene and I have no idea who to act," she admitted, creating an awkward tension between them.

"Its okay," he blurted out quickly, trying to spare her the awkwardness of apologizing. "I think we came off to a bad start."

The rest of the ride to October's apartment and the two talked in a comfortable manner, just enjoying each other's company. October was more her dorky self, but she kept reserve and cautious around Jonathan. In the last few minutes from the club to her apartment, it was obvious to October that he had changed and was more mature.

"This is me," she announced when she saw her apartment. She looked from her apartment to Jonathan and for some reason; she had this disappointing feeling like the ride was too short. "Do you, uh, want to come in? Make up for the night you last. Maybe kick your ass in COD," she suggested.

Jonathan let out a sigh of relief. He was hoping that the ride would be longer, driving slower than usually, so he could spend more time really getting to know the beautiful girl beside him. He nodded quickly and was out of the car before she was.

October's apartment was simple, but modern. The kitchen was right by the hallway and the living room/dining room was in front of the kitchen and beside the living room/dining room was a stair case that most likely led to her bedroom.

Her living room was impressive. At the back wall in beside the ceiling to floor window was a large widescreen, probably more than 52 inches and beside the TV on the right was a shelf full of DVDs, and games. Under the TV was every grown man's dreams, every single gaming system known. PS3, Xbox, Game Cube, Wii.

He noticed though, that there weren't many picture of her when she was younger. They were mostly of her during college and recent ones of her on vacations with her family and friends. The house lacked a certain personal touch.

"Yeah, I am a dork," October admitted when she saw Jonathan stare at her gaming systems in awe and surprise.

"I think it's amazing," he admitted and started to examine her gaming collection. "You have every single game I can think of."

October had a grin on her face as she walked over to the shelf and pulled out her Call of Duty CD case. "Time to kick your ass," she teased and put the CD onto the PS3. She fell onto her couch and grabbed the controller on by the side table. "Get comfortable because you're about to lose," she said, patting the empty space beside her.

Jonathan laughed and gladly sat closely beside her. He took the controller from her gratefully and gave her a small nudge on the arm. "Just so you know, I'm not going easy on you because you're a girl."

"Trust me; I wasn't expecting anything less Captain Serious."
♠ ♠ ♠
What did you think?
I'm so sorry that this took so long. I've been really busy with school and not to mention I've been really unmotivated to get any writing done. I guess I've just been in a slump. But I'm back now and yeah.
Comment, let me know what you think.