A Bit Of Luck

{01}

Cobe glanced down at the small, perfectly iced chocolate cake she'd spent the afternoon baking and shaping to the best of her ability. Carefully coloured in layer of thick chocolate fudge icing, it was covered in small pink hearts with the name Scarlett printed in curving letters across the centre. Proud of herself, Cobe carefully packed it into one of the bakery's boxes and smiled.

This was ritual for Cobe now. Every time her friend went into hospital, she would carefully pack up a personally baked cake that she spent hours cooking in the back of her little New York bakery/coffee shop, The Sugar Mill, before she headed out to the hospital to deliver it to her best friend. Cobe hated the feeling of not being able to help her friend with her sickness, so she baked; because that was all she knew how do to.

Grabbing her coat from the hook on the back of her office door, she carefully picked up the ribbon-tied box and walked out of her bakery. Immediately the cool, autumn air assaulted her senses and she tugged her coat a little closer to her body as she made to hail a taxi.

Half an hour later she walked into the familiar lobby of the hospital. Doctors and nurses walked in between patients and family members and Cobe walked slowly through them. The path was a familiar one, unfortunately so, and as she got closer to the ward her friend spent most of her time in, the members of staff began to smile and nod their heads in greeting.

She flicked her crimson locks from her eyes as she stopped by the nurses station to offer a quick smile. One of the interns, a person she'd really never noticed before, gave her a bright smile. She returned it, blushing slightly, before appealing to the most familiar to her of the nurse staff, "Hi, Abigail."

"Afternoon, Cobe," she grinned, brushing off Cobe's thick, Scottish accent with her bright smile. She was used to Cobe's heavy accent and had mastered the art of understanding what the red-head said. "She's in her usual room."

Cobe smiled as she picked up the cake from the desk where she had placed it to rest, before heading back down the hallway. Her flat converse made a soft sound against the linoleum floor and beside it tapped the sounds of another pair of feet.

"Are you visiting someone?" a male voice asked. She turned to see the intern from before, watching her with hazel eyes. She nodded her head.

"Yes. My friend, Scarlett. She's a, uhh, regular," she mumbled, turning a corner.

"Oh! Scarlett! She's my favourite patient," the intern grinned coyly, a blush on his cheeks. Cobe hid her giddy, amused smile as she approached Scarlett's door.

"Are you going to be checking up on her now?"

"Nope," he shook his head, "I have another patient down this way. Anyway, it was nice meeting you…?"

"Cobe," she smiled, "And you," she checked his name tag, "Doctor Iero."

He smiled, "Frank."

"Frank," she repeated, before disappearing into her friend's room. Immediately, Scarlett brightened at the sight of Cobe, who was instantly broke into a smirk, "So, Scar, who is that dashing young Frank who seems to take such a shine to you?"
♠ ♠ ♠
The way this story is being planned out is a little complicated. Basically, it's two stories intertwined as one. Every odd numbered part will be written by myself (themightyboosh) and will show the life of Cobe. Every even numbered part will be written by my lovely friend BloodFuelledRevenge and will tell the story of Scarlett.
Hope you enjoy!
-TMB.
xxx