A Bit Of Luck

[10]

Once Scarlett had put her t-shirt on, she walked out of the bathroom and saw Frank sitting on her bed, looking at the floor in a dejected manner. She sat down beside him and leant her head on his shoulder.

“She isn’t worth the heartache,” she said softly.

Frank sighed, making Scarlett sit up and look at him. She cocked her head questioningly. He looked into her eyes and shrugged.

“I thought it might last, you know?” he said. Scarlett smiled sadly and raised her arms, asking him wordlessly if he wanted a hug. He smiled and accepted, sliding his arms around Scarlett in a way that sent shivers racing up her back. She buried her face into the crook of his neck automatically, something she always did with her mum. She wasn’t sure what reminded her of those hugs, maybe it was just the fact that no-one else hugged her so tenderly.

After enjoying the hug for a few minutes, without actually deciding between them, they both pulled away at once. Frank paused as he dropped his arms and, without thinking, leant forward and placed a kiss on Scarlett’s lips.

Throwing away her sanity for then, Scarlett kissed back. She cut herself off from intimacy like this, fearing leaving people behind because of her disease, so she savoured the moment. Frank ran his tongue along her bottom lip and suddenly, Scarlett realised what she was doing. She pulled away and started giggling. Frank looked at her like she was crazy, then, finding her odd giggle infectious, began to laugh too.

Once composed, they looked at each other and Scarlett said quietly, “You just broke up with your girlfriend. You’re bound to feel a bit weird.”

Frank nodded, “You’re not someone who deserves to be a rebound.”

Scarlett looked at him with a lopsided grin and he mistook it for a look of hurt. “That was a compliment, I swear,” he said, making Scarlett giggle again.

“I know. Now, let’s go dance, you idiot,” she said happily and taking Frank’s hand, she skipped childishly into the main room, dragging Frank behind her.

x-x-x

“I so made that happen,” Scarlett said to Frank as, whilst they danced alongside one another, they spotted Cobe and Adam dancing together to the side of the mass of bodies. Frank shook his head and laughed, watching as Scarlett kept dancing.

“Want another drink?” She asked suddenly and he nodded, following her to the kitchen as she got him one. She handed it to him and he took a long gulp, before choking and doubling over. When he had finally brought his breathing under control, he sat up straight. Scarlett giggled childishly at his flushed cheeks and he hit her playfully.

“Straight tequila?” he questioned.

“You said you wanted a drink…” she replied, putting on an innocent look and pouting slightly. He chuckled and shook his head, “You’re an idiot.”

Scarlett rolled her eyes and put in a serious face, “At least I’m pwetty…” she said in a baby-voice. Frank scoffed and winced as Scarlett poked him viciously in return.

Someone nearby laughed, catching their attention. It was a loose friend of Scarlett’s who was dating a better friend. “You two should just get it on already…” they said, and walked out of the kitchen. Scarlett looked to Frank, unsure of what he would make of this random person’s view and was surprised to find him looking to her.

“OH YEAH!” she shouted playfully and dragged Frank from the kitchen and started dancing with him again. This time, she didn’t dance alongside him. She took his hands and put them on her hips and swayed to the beat. Slinging her arms around his neck, she started to sing along to the familiar song that was playing and focused on enjoying her 21st birthday party.

“Frank! It’s Bad Touch,” she said happily and he smiled softly at her, moving his body was hers. They danced like that for the next few songs, when a slower one started playing and Scarlett remained where she was, not knowing whether to stay but not wanting to leave the warmth Frank’s body was providing against hers.

Slowly, Frank leant forward and for the second time that evening, his lips met Scarlett’s. This time, she was perfectly aware of what was happening and yet, she didn’t want to end the moment. She kissed back, enjoying the intimate touch of his hands as they wrapped round her lower back and pulled her closer. A tongue ghosting along her bottom lip, then gently caressing her own made her feel ready to melt. They pulled apart and she studied her high heels, not knowing what to make of the kiss.

“Sorry, shouldn’t have done that…” Frank said slowly, and in a way that made Scarlett feel he was trying to convince himself of that too. She looked up and smiled softly at him.

She wouldn’t take this any further. After all, she didn’t know how long she had left and she didn’t want to leave people grieving her when she died. It wasn’t a matter of ‘if she died’. It was a matter of ‘when’. Scarlett refused to leave behind broken hearts.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the long wait, my loverlies.
I was away and was only back for a week then was in hospital.
But I'm back now.

Did ya miss me?
x x x