A Bit Of Luck

{05}

By the time Scarlett arrived at the little shop, the only other customer was gone. Though she felt a slight pang of disappointment, Cobe pushed all thoughts of the stranger she'd probably never meet again from her mind as she set about fixing herself and Scarlett some drinks and goodies.

Cobe had found herself to be much like her mother as far as remedies go. A nice, hot cup of tea and a warm, gooey slice of chocolate cake could work wonders on the soul. So as the little door tinkled once again that quiet afternoon, she'd already set out two, large slices of chocolate cake, with warm fudge sauce, and two steaming mugs of hot drinks.

"Are you okay, love?" she asked softly, as she locked the door on the coffee shop. Scarlett's eyes looked a little bloodshot and the tears that were still stuck to her lashes made Cobe's heart tighten painfully. Ever since she'd first moved to New York City, Scarlett had always been there to help and support Cobe. She'd helped with the opening of the business; she'd helped Cobe find an apartment; she'd helped her find staff members. She didn't know what she'd do without Scar.

Rubbing softly at her sore eyes, Scarlett frowned, "I spoke to the doctor today, Cobe."

Cobe wanted her to say it was good news. That the tears were that of joy, but that was just pure optimism, falsely so. Good news wouldn't have done this. "W-what did they say?"

"They've estimated my life expectancy," she frowned, forking a piece of cake into her mouth. "They've given me to thirty at the latest."

"Thirty? At the latest? What!"

"Do that for a couple of hours and you'll know how I feel," Scarlett grumbled as Cobe tried to process the information. Of course, she knew she could never feel like Scarlett felt, but the prospect of losing her friend at such an early age wasn't any more of a comfort. She tugged at her red hair, frowning deeper.

"They're putting me on new medication, too."

"More?" Cobe bit onto her lip. "Will they help?"

Scarlett shrugged, offering no commitment. "Fuck knows. He said they might 'alter' them, but I reckon the chances are slim."

"I-I don't know what to say, love," Cobe murmured, tugging a little harder on her hair. A few strands came away, wrapped around her finger. Scarlett sighed.

"Neither do I, Cobe."

***

The next day didn't run smoothly for Cobe. The fact that she hadn't gotten a wink of sleep the previous night had only made her temper flare, forcing her to spend most of her shift in the back fixing special order cakes and doing the paper work she often neglected. She just couldn't handle the public.

"I've got another special order for you," Danny mumbled as he slowly peeked his head around the corner of the doorway. Cobe didn't look up from the work she was doing, but nodded her head softly. "The guy said he'll pick it up at the end of the day."

"Yeah. Okay." She brushed her hand across her forehead, sweeping a soft hand through her fringe. A little icing clung to her skin, but Danny said nothing not wishing to upset her. He set down the little slip of paper with the cake style and wording on it, before he turned to leave. He stopped at the door way.

"You can go, if you want. We can handle it."

"I have to work," Cobe said weakly, picking up a tube of icing. "I just… have to."

"I understand," Danny ducked out of the doorway and Cobe sighed as she placed her finished cake to the side for the icing to form itself properly. She almost winced at the words 'Get Well Soon' scrawled across the paper that Danny had left behind as she turned to glance at it. Softly the music the CD player was singing caught her ears.

So, I'm moving to New York
'Cause I've got problems with my sleep
And we're not the same
And I will wear that on my sleeve


She almost cried from the irony.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi. It's themightyboosh. What's the hippyhaps?
Comment us. We love it.
: D