Mary Without Sound

With Her Back Against Us All: 1

2: I Feel Just Fine

I’m nervous.

Maybe that’s not the right word. I’m…anxious?

No.

Apprehensive.

Unsure what to expect.

I arrived at the airport at exactly the time Justin said.

But Justin being Justin, I should’ve known I’d be waiting around.

The flight from Chicago they’re on was supposed to be here over thirty minutes ago.

I don’t know what he was thinking, he probably messed up the time. I’m inside, but it’s still freezing and I just want to be back in my warm car. Better yet, in my warm apartment.

Alone.

I’m about to call him when he appears almost out of nowhere with a simple “Hey, Matt.”

She’s right behind him.

She- she being Mary, is almost a head shorter than me, an unhealthy thin and a pale that brings out the purple shadow under blue-but-almost-gray eyes. Her black hair is carelessly tied back in a ponytail, a lone streak of turquoise hovering somewhere above her right ear. Not at all how I pictured her, at any rate.

“Matt, this is Mary,” Justin says.

“Hi.” I reach out my freezing hand for her to shake, but she just stares at it. Her hands stay at her sides.

I glance at Justin quizzically.

He gives me a look that I hope means I’ll explain later, so I take my hand back and lead them to the car.

The drive to my apartment is nearly silent, save for Justin making a few attempts at small talk with me.

I try, but I’ve got other things on my mind.

“You can put your things in the room at the end of the hall. It has a bathroom, too,” I say, trying to get any type of response from her.

She eyes me with perfected indifference before she looks at Justin.

He gives the slightest nod of his head, then she’s walking down the hall with her suitcase dragging behind.

“Look, Matt…” Justin begins, in a noticeably lowered voice. “I know I said she needed a place to stay for a few weeks, but…” He pauses hesitantly. “The truth is, I don’t know how long it will be…I’m sorry. I should have told you before.”

He looks nervous, like he expects me to be mad or change my mind.

“I’ll help as long as I can,” I assure him.

After all, who else does he have to turn to?

Justin’s right in the middle of moving in with Lindsay.

Josh has Jill and Dot.

Beth’s all over the place on tour right now.

Jesse and Jessica are preparing for a baby and Tony’s girlfriend probably wouldn’t be too happy about him sharing an apartment with some random girl from Justin’s past.

And me?

I’ve got nothing.

Not since Casey left.

I’m a nice guy that can’t say no.

The silence is broken by the close of a door and quiet footsteps.

“Mary?” Justin asks, as she silently picks up her coat and continues past us.

She wordlessly holds up a pack of cigarettes and a lighter in her right hand and slams the front door behind herself.

He sighs.

“There’s another thing…” he begins hesitantly.

“What is it?”

“She…”

“Just tell me.”

“She doesn’t…”

“What?”

How bad can it be?

He hesitates.

“Talk.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you very much to lg. fuad. : )