Queen of Hearts

Pushy, Overbearing, Work-a-holic . . . That's Aedre

Looking in the mirror, which was partly fogged up, I gave a half smile, almost content with the way I looked and always had so far minus my hair. It was blonde, longer then I’d ever had it in my life and slicked down with water from the shower. On the other hand I still looked the same to myself – glossy, beautiful but always second best – in appearance that was. Spitting out the tooth paste in the sink, I smirked. My face even after the shower still looked like I had been hit by a freight train – just another sign I was doing my job right, pulling in every last available hour.

Married to the best job in the world, a devoted wife bringing only the best to literary table. I slave over hot manuscripts all the time. Blowing a kiss to myself, I walked out of the bathroom in my robe, Livingston handing me the morning paper.

“Good morning Madame” He smiled his fingers flying across the Ipad I bought him just yesterday. It was the little things that kept Livingston, my P.A., happy – like gadgets and . . . weird fuzzy – animals – like a dog. . .

“I trust you slept well?” I asked, noticing the deep dark circles around his eyes. Livingston hadn’t slept at all – keeping up with me was a full time job – for the money I paid him it sure seemed that.

“In fact I did the three hours I had, forget my life – okay make that an hour I slept – alright do you want your updates or schedule first?” He asked handing me one of the finest drinks known to all mankind – tea- two sugars and a cream, piping hot and the label inward. Crossing my legs I sipped the tea as he handed me the mail.

“Livingston did I ever tell you I loved the way you work?

“Everyday –“

You only had an hour -Wait – what is this I’m hearing of a relationship? Finally my ever loyal assistant has found that perfect mate to listen to that rock music, eat that chocolaty thing and share feelings and intimate secrets over coffee and mini cinnamon rolls. ” I rolled my eyes, disgusted with love. That sickened me – the whole idea of intimacy and love. With me I used it as a tool – if you don’t like fire why not play with it instead.

“Actually no – my mother who says I should quit every day of my life had me baby sit my little cousin Jeffrey while my Aunt and she went out at four in the morning to deliver my newest cousin Reginald. Nothing big – just the birth of a child” He smiled, laughing a little. Livingston knew almost everything about me – minus my life before Harper Books. Truth be told he knew nothing of what went on in my life even though he was there 24/7. But he was truly loyal and loving – what I would call family. But not ever with kids

“I hate children - anyways continue” I twirled my finger in the air. Kids were not my style . . .

“In recent tweets Reese Myers is thanking you for her recent success. Saying and I quote ‘I’m extremely blessed 4 my Editor Aedre Evans at the Harper Books if not 4 her I’d be in a newspaper’”

“She should credit me – her book sucked but with what people are into now – is Hogbart’s still on the New York best seller list?” I asked going back into my room putting clothes on “Yes it is – only because it’s about the teenage witch named Haring and her friend Ginny Rodgers and the half blind half crazed sea turtle person Hermentrude”

“True I did read it and not very impressive – also Henry called asking when he could move his stuff out. Schedule is as follows- 8am there is a conference call with the U.S. and Canadian offices – a staff meeting. I called Anderson – the guy with the twitchy eye and I told him if he bloody well didn’t get the manuscript on time we were going to sack his book and cancel his movie deal for the first” Livingston rattled off, as grabbed the latest manuscript. It was his – just by chance I suppose it appeared there for me to read. Finishing my drink I opened the first page and Livingston put my coat on for me. Quickly dodging into the apartment he grabbed my purse and my blackberry.

“Alright – ooh - tell Henry that he may be a prince but that he can have his stuff after I have lunch with him. No relationship is over until I say so. Reschedule the call and cancel the staff meeting. After work today run over to – bloody hell I forgot that store and to buy Melody her present – her birthday is next month and-” As he stopped me, bowing low pointing to the billboard across the street. Covering my mouth I smiled, blushing. The new billboard advertising Harper Books and my picture right in the middle, saying She is Harper Books - Cute but to the point. Walking down the street, he opened the door to the office for me

“I haven’t gotten a chance to look at your mail yet but it looks like you may have something from Mel-“

“Shush!” I told him, ripping open her letter. It smelled like home – pine trees and that tea Melody was always drinking – even when we were in grade school. Gently opening up the tab – it seemed like the average letter – the ‘hey how are you’ letter. But it wasn’t

Hey Cheese!

It’s Melody here – from my quiet little bookstore off Main Street. Ashford is what Ashford always was to us – slightly boring but full of surprises. I bought my first house finally – well it’s your old house. Your parents left it to me. Decorating though – I’m a little worse for wear. But down to business, my favorite band is waiting for me to send their lyrics. I’ve lost them – I’m sure of it. Lately I’ve been misplacing things anyways. I was wondering if you were planning on going to High School Reunion – you get mail faster than we do most likely. . . . .

Anyways – I was thinking instead of staying at the hotel they planned for you – you could stay with me? That would be so awesome – getting the old gang back together – minus one. Living in London you probably have changed and we haven’t seen each other in forever – but here is a picture of me and look forward to seeing you.

Love – Your Nacho
P.S. – Open the box I sent you – I hear these are fabulous. Well – we always thought so


Searching the mail for the box as we entered the elevator, Livingston handed the small container holding a single cupcake. Vanilla with that sinfully delicious caramel crème filling – my favorite . . . Licking off the frosting, Livingston moved to press the button.

“Hold that please” A long hand reached into the elevator. Sliding in was the vain, womanizing Liam Harper - my bosses son. I tolerated him.

“Good to see you at work finally – new record my darling – almost 11 months since you stepped foot into this elevator or this building – wait – England!” I snidely remark as Livingston covered his mouth to keep from laughing.

Fixing his tie, Liam, took my hand with the cupcake, bowing low, licking off the frosting like a two cent man whore.

“True but I have learned all the wonders of the world –and it would be my profound pleasure to teach you all of them” He smirked as Livingston got out on the next floor, not wanting to see the massacre known as the third elevator as it went on. Shutting the doors, I smirked pushing him against the wall – no control what so ever. Whispering into his ear I ran my fingers across his neck line.

“You may be the president’s son but your one hell of a rich bum –“Smacking him against the wall I kneed him in the nuts, smacking him around with my purse. I’m more then sure the people on the floors passing heard our scuffle but when the doors opened on the second to top floor – the fifty-first – I straightened my hair and pulled down my suit coat walking out. Liam however, had two black eyes, a broken hand or at least a sprained wrist, and a very sore crotch, stumbling out of the elevator cussing at me in French.

“Vous trou du cul!!” (you asshole!) He cussed several times as I just smiled and waved. Livingston was already in my office setting up and what not.

“You didn’t kill him?” He smirked as I smacked Livingston on the shoulder, a very serious look on my face.

“If I was to kill anyone – I’d have someone I knew along time ago killed – he’s too much of a slug world traveler for my taste” I rolled my eyes, sitting down. Tossing me the manuscript I had just been reading, he flopped down in the chair opposite of me, huffing air.

“Are you alright Livingston –“

“I ran – Fifty flights of stairs and made it with time to spare” He breathed as I rolled my eyes, burying myself in the latest book, checking for errors.

“Maybe you should work out more” I said as he laughed

“You know that’s why I love you Aedre – you underneath all of that, you are a person. That and I think of how much I don’t hate you – which is a very substantial number” He smirked as I got up and handed him my tea.

“And you always know how to treat a woman – even if she is me” Walking back I pushed the manuscript aside seeing if there was any other letter from Mel or anyone I knew – no luck.

Maybe it was under something else. Why did she says high school reunion – it hadn’t been five years. I wasn’t that much older and nobody back home invited me to anything important. Last year Mel said my parents died in a car accident – I was in a meeting and the day after had to be in Frankfurt to 1.) Nab another author from our competitors 2.) Launch a new campaign for Harper Books and 3.) Work always came before family – even dead family. If I wanted to be anything in this world I had to put my priorities first. Everybody at home at least got somewhat of that drift. But high school reunion – Mel would want me their – It would have to find some way to go but not go at the same time.

“Are you looking for this?” A knock on my door asked as Mr. Harper – head of the entire Harper publishing company asked, a not so happy look on his face. Standing up, I organized my desk as Livingston hopped up getting him a seat.

“Aedre this is quite an office”

“Yes sir it is” I smiled sitting back down “what is it that you have that I was supposed to get.”

“An invitation to a party, a high school reunion, I think that’s what they call it in America. Quite smashing idea I think” He acknowledged handing it over the desk. Smashing – what was –oh no. Three weeks of non-stop fun – rediscover your old friends and family get to know each other again in a delightful graduating class of 2006 getaway retreat at the Lodge by Ashford Lake. All expenses and amenities included. See who’s made it big and who hasn’t . . . It sounded like the cheerleaders I always despised wrote this up – no imagination or color to it. . .

“Thank you sir – I’ll make sure to n-ouch- now schedule that in” I smiled in pain knowing only that Livingston kicked my leg.

“I heard Eustace Anderson has decided not to write anymore –“

“WHAT?!” I shouted standing up, pounding the desk. “That weasel”

I only knew who called him – manwhore - I shouted in my mind. Passing my door, he ducked his head in smiling. It took Livingston’s hand on my shoulder not to leap over his father and kill him.

“Eustace was a very high profile client – give me a reason not to sack you right now?” He asked coolly.

“I’ve been with the company for years – I’ve brought in more authors and more revenue than any two of your other editors combined. I am Harper books” I told him

“You have fire and company loyalty – but you lost him. He ” He said. I was on the end of my rope. I was looking into the shark tank – I was fish food. This was bloody great . . . Picking up my high school reunion paper I looked and then I saw Mel’s letter. Melody would know what to do in this situation – Mel could – MEL WROTE!!

“What if I could get you the next greatest writer in the history of Harper? What if I could get her to publish something of her own?” I asked a wily look in my eye. “She’s a songwriter at the moment for several famous artists- but I mean she writes like no one before her –“

“If you could do that I might consider letting you keep your job” Mr. Harper said bowing then walking out grabbing Liam by the ear. My life was on the line and the last thing I expected to save me was Ashford. Well – High school reunion here we come . . .
♠ ♠ ♠
The first chapter of many - it's great. Comment!!!