The Prince's Brother

Jeremiah

She was surprised by how excited her father was for catching the eye of Prince Jacob, even if he was hoping that she would be with Prince Ashton. It was assumed that he would be the next King. Her mother was thrilled, constantly talking about how Amelia was finally bringing honor to their family by finding a Prince for a husband. Her brothers had been visiting, so they were able to meet Jacob as well. It had been quite an eventful day.

Her father pulled Jacob away before dinner to talk with him privately. Knowing him, he was probably discussing finances, the greedy man. Amelia took this time, however, to run and tell the news to a very old friend of hers. One who may be upset with the news.

“Jeremiah!” She called, grabbing two fence posts and raising herself on her toes.

“Jeremiah! I must speak with you.”

“What, Ms. Amelia, must be so urgent that you must speak to me now?” He spoke to her right, setting down a pile of chopped wood he was bringing back to the cabin his family lived in. The grass and twigs snapped under his footsteps and he leaned against the fence posts on the opposite side, eye level to Amelia on her tip toes. “You must promise that you will not hate me after I tell you,” she said with a slight pout.

“I would never be able to hate you,” he said smiling, showing off his white teeth. “Even if you were telling me you were leaving forever.”

Amelia winced, especially since he guessed half of what she wanted to tell him. Jeremiah caught it, leaning back with a look of shock. “Are you leaving?”

“Yes,” she whispered, biting her lip.

He reached over the fence posts and took her small hands in his. “Then let me ask for your father for your hand, just like we have planned for years.”

She shook her head, tears forming in eyes, remembering their long talks at nights and all of the plans they had made together since they were little. “You can’t –“ she finally choked out.

“Why not?” he demanded.

“Because I am leaving to be married.” It came in a rush, and the tears began to spill out.
Jeremiah dropped her hands, pain streaking across his face. “How long have you been planning this?”

“Dear Jeremiah, I haven’t been! My father sent me away to the King’s ball and one of the
Prince’s took notice of me and is asking my father’s permission to take me away. I cannot say no!”

He ran a tan hand through his blonde hair, obviously frustrated, and backed away from the fence toward the pile of wood stacked on the ground.

“Jere- please say something.”

He picked up the wood and faced her once again. “I give you and him the best wishes. Good-bye Amelia.”

“Jeremiah, please don’t act like this! I’m doing this by force!”

Jeremiah walked quickly away, not turning around or responding anymore.

“Jeremiah!” She shouted once more, tears freely falling at this point. She choked out a few sobs for a minute before heading back to the cabin. When arriving at the back door, she wiped her eyes, making sure to get rid of all her tears, and let herself back in.

“Amelia!” She heard, turning to her left to see Jacob smiling broadly toward her. “Your father has given his permission for our marriage. We will leave for Concovia tomorrow morning.” He took both her hands and kissed her cheek, before pulling up to look into her green eyes.

“That’s wonderful,” she said, faking a smile and giving his hands a squeeze.

His brows furrowed, noticing her eyes were slightly red. “Are you alrigh-“

“Amelia, come help me finish dinner!” her mother called from the next room.

“Excuse me,” Amelia said, giving a slight bow and disappearing into the next room.
Jacob stared after her, slightly confused.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope y'all enjoy this!