Flattery is Dead, Romance is Next

Friends 101

"... so who do I have the pleasure to be talking to?" Patrick said.

"Me? Oh uh sorry, it's right there." I said pointing at my name tag.

Yes name tag, that's one thing I never agreed with Leanna on. She insisted that all employees had to wear one so that the customers could be more familiar and aquinted with us. I always thought it was kinda freaky that everyone would know my name. I used to wear a fake name like Maria or Brittany but I would always forget it and wouldn't answer when customers called me by that name. So yeah Kayleigh it is.

"Nice to meet you Kayleigh! so uhhm you work here?" I think he was trying to start a conversation there. But I'm horrible at talking to customers unless it's about merchandise.

"Hmm yeah we'll, if I may... you're a wise one, Patrick!"

"Ha! Yeah sorry, that wasn't smart, wasn't it?"

"I just met you, I'm not gonna call you stupid already" I said with a grin, he laughed. Awesome I can make cute guys laugh. I kinda blushed.

"Sorry to rush you Patrick, but we're closing in 5 minutes... did you decide what you wanted?" I said still red.

"Oh shit! I just needed hmm a clock! yeah a clock!" and he grabbed a cute cow shapped alarm clock.

"Anything else, sir?"

"No, that will be it." He paused. "Although... would you care to go have coffee after you're done closing the store?"

"I..." what? I look like hell! this guy must be desperate!

Patrick turned red and said "Well that's... uhmm ehh if you have nothing else planned of course... and hmm yeah I don't want to force you either...." Oh my god, he was so cutefunny.

"I'd love too."

"Awesome! So I'll wait for you outside?"

"Yes, I'll be out in 10 minutes."

Patrick left the store and Leanna locked the door behind him. "I think I've seen him before," she said as she started couting the cash and I was sweeping the floor.

"Really? Where?"

"That's what I can't remember. Oh well! He probably just came here before and I just remebered now."

"Yeah it's true, I'm horrible at reconizing customers too, but I'll ask him tonight."

"WHAT? how come tonight?!" Leanna seemed to be shocked.

"He asked me to go for coffee after we're done closing the store!" I said with a huge smile across my face.

"Ohhh you're a fast one Kay! You always get the cute ones! it's not fair!"

"Shut up! He heard us talking and knows I'm from Chicago and he's from there too so he probably just wants to talk about the city he seems to miss so much."

"hahah N-A-I-V-E!" Leanna simply said. She was a bit jealous I think.

While Leanna was finishing up turning the lights off and everything, I went to the bathroom. I was looking at myself in the mirror wondering if he wanted to be my friend, or like Leanna thought just to get in my pants. Oh well I thought I have nothing to loose, I don't have that many friends at all here, so I might at well just hang with someone from Chicago. Minus the fact I've been single for all the (almost) year I've been here.

Let's do this!

We walked out of store. I said bye to Leanna as I was locking the doors.
I turned around to see Patrick sitting on a bench on the other side of the street. I crossed the street and I noticed he was listening to music, so I kinda screamed:

"HEY!"

"Oh hey!" He said putting his ipod in his pocket.

"Sorry it took so long, I hope you didn't have to wait too much" I said trying to be polite and well manered.

"Oh no don't be! you said 10 minutes and here you are exactly 10 minutes later." Wow! He's evern more polite than I am, impressive!

"Though... I'm sorry Patrick I changed my mind..." A look of dissapointment shot his face.

"Could we go for ice cream instead of coffee?" I said laughing.

"Oh! yeah! of course yes!" he said confused

"Hahah you so thought I was gonna ditch you, didn't you?"

"Well... hmm yeah." he turned red

"Aww don't worry! I'm a bit more friendly than that! So tell me now, hat's up with inviting random store clerks out for coffee/ice cream?" I wonder why people tell me I'm not shy.odd.

"Well I just moved here for work so I need friends and people to hang out with. Also, sorry for listening to your conversation but you're from Chicago from what I heard. And that's awesome! It's such a small world!"

"You're right! That's crazy! Are you really from Chicago though or from one of the classy suburbs?"

"Glenview to be precise, I had a lot of friends in Wilmette. And you?" he asked.

"I'm from Glen Ellyn! It's not really close to Glenview or Wilmette, but I had a couple friends that lived in downtown Chicago because they had a band." I said as we had already gotten ice cream and were eating it.

"Oh really? what was the name of the band?"

"Over and Out, they're a good little punk band."

"I KNOW THEM!!" he shouted.

"That's crazy!! You know Chris, Nick, Trevor and Paul?!"

"Yeah! We used to play shows together!! Small world I'm telling you!"

"So you're in a band too? Maybe I've seen you play before!" I asked

"Yeah I'm in band too..." He got a little shy.

"Sooo? What's the name of your band?"

"Fall Out Boy."

"Ohhhhhhhhh really! Awww I'm so sorry!!!"

"Why are you sorry?" He seemed to think I was crazy.

"Well... you guys are... are kind of a big deal! I mean I've heard so many people talk about your band and your songs are everywhere, hell I even own one of your cds. I should have known!!"

"It's ok don't worry about it." He seemed unconfortable. " Don't worry about it really, we're not That big of a deal."

"Haha if you say so mister! But that's actually not the worst part of the story..."

"What do you mean?"

"I've seen you play before, back home, and I didn't even reconize you!!"

"Hmm yeah that's bad... Well I'll forgive you only under one condition Kayleigh... will you be my friend?"

I laughed.

"Of course I will!" I said punching him on the shoulder. Chicagoans rock.