Flattery is Dead, Romance is Next

Define Friends

Patrick and I stayed there talking for a really long time until he said he had to leave because he had something important to do tomorrow. I didn't ask what it was I just said bye.

When I got home, Tatianna was sitting on the couch and seemingly waiting for me.
"Where were you?"

"Oh hey, nice to see you too! Pfff I went to get ice cream."

"Ohh okay, I was just wondering," she said not being able to keep on faking being mad at me

"Who did you go with? Leanna?"

"Hmmm no."

"Who then? It's surely wasn't me and I don't think you have many other friends here!"

"Hmm a guy named Patrick."

"You went on a date without telling me?!"

"Relax. It wasn't a date! He's a really cool guy from Chicago, just like me. He came to the store and we started talking and since we had a lot in common he invited me for coffee and then it ended up being ice cream."

"Suuuure" She said pulling her eye with her finger. "Was he cuteee?"

"Duuuh! You think I would go for ice cream with a guy who's fulgayyy? EVEN when it's not a date? He's so adorable aww his sideburns and all." I said with a stupid smile on my face.

"So did you get his number?"

"OH MY GOD!"

"What?"

"I didn't give him mine and he didn't take mine! We forgot!! Damn that's so stupid! He did say he wanted to see me again and maybe go see movie or something. Dammit!" I felt so retarded. How could he ever reach me? I really want to see him again.

"Relax! He knows where you work." Tatianna calmly said.

"You're right!! Oh I love you sometimes!" I hugged her. We watched tv a bit and then I went to bed, because yeah well I had work the next day.

I tried to sleep but it took me hell of a while before falling asleep; some little things were just bugging me. Like, Patrick is 23 and has found the job he will do for the rest of his life clearly he enjoys it. On the other hand you look at me, I'm 21, I just moved to this new city and I don't have any goals really other than paying the rent. I don't have any passion like the one Patrick has for music. You know, the kind of thing that would make you love your job everyday you wake up... that. I'm missing that.

Right, I love singing but who would ever want to be in a band with a girl singing? It's depressing. I'll need to find that one thing that drives me and soon. I don't want to be working in retail all my life.

The next day I got up on time, but tired as hell from the lack of sleep due to that overthinking of mine last night. Oh well.

When I got to work, I was wondering whether or not I should tell Leanna who Patrick was and why she thought she had seen him somewhere. She is such a freak about celebrities and hmm well I'm guessing Patrick is one... like she is the kind of person that reads all those blogs and reads all the gossip magazines. Kinda freaky in my opinion, to be reading about strangers' lives and all. Not my stuff.

"Good morning to the best manager in the world!" I screamed as I walked in the store.

"Hey you! how was you date last night?"

"Quit it! It wasn't a date!"

"Ok yeah sure. His house or yours?"

"None! We went home, retard. We didn't even exchange phone numbers!"

"Oh really? Wow that sucks... I'm speechless I need something else to tease you about now, this has no substance to it."

"You want substance? I'll give you some. You know how you tought you had seen him before?"

"Yeah?"

"We'll he's in a band from Chicago, he knows my friends, so you've probably seen him at a show or something."

"Oh that would make sense! What's his band called?"

"hmm Boy something... I can't remember." Lie. I can't give it to her straight! Come on!

"That doesn't ring a bell... oh well. I can't work without music!" She said as she went to the back to put a cd on.

Oddly enough it was Infinity on High. "That a new cd? I've never hear you play it here before." I said couting the seconds until her illumination.

"Yeah it's the new Fall Out...BOY!" she screamed so hard I think she damaged my ear drum.

"THAT'S WHO HE IS!!! YOUR LOVER IS THE SINGER FROM FALL OUT BOY!"

"Okay first, he's not my lover. He's barely my friend, I've met him once. Second, you should be ashamed of the time it took you to figure that one out."

"HA! Like you knew!"

I blushed "Haha you're right I had no clue until he told me. I felt like such an idiot, but he's so down to earth and everything!"

"And Q-T?"

"Oh shut up with that!" I said as the phone rang.

"Neon Panther, how can I help you?"

"Hi, can I talk to Kayleigh please? uhm if she's not busy," a shy little voice said. Wow if it's who I think it's is. It's pretty darn too coeincidental.

"Speaking! who is it?"

"Patrick, from yesterday." Oh my god, it IS him

"Oh hey! What's up? How did you find this number?"

"It's printed at the bottom of you receipts." *stupid, stupid, stupid*

"Ohhh that's true, you're smart Patrick! So how can I help you? You broke that clock already?"

he laughed. "No, no. The clock works fine. I was just wondering... I kinda forgot last night... what's your phone number?"

This was too good to be true, right?