Flattery is Dead, Romance is Next

I miss you more than you know

The next two weeks went by smoothly. I was hanging out with Patrick almost everyday. We were having a lot of fun. His sense of humour was really childish and yet very sarcastic and acidic... very much like mine I must say. We'd call eachother to go out for coffee, pizza, ice cream or a movie.

The most fun though, was exploring this city we didn't know so well still. We'd walk around turn, go to streets we had never been. LA was so much fun with him. All I needed to feel home was a guy from home. Odd.

Patrick even introduced me to one his band mates, Pete, because he had moved here too for their job. The other two guys in the band still lived in Chicago. Lucky them.

Patrick had invited me out for dinner in this Italian restaurant we had discovered when we were exploring last week.

"So Kay, you entered college in Physiotherapy but before finishing you moved here without knowing why really..." Patrick asked

"Yeah...Well, I came out of a pretty messed up relationship, nothing abusive but still, and I wanted a new start so I headed to sun, beaches and palm trees."

"I can understand that, but what are your plans? your ambitions?" He had a bit of a worried tone in his voice.

"Ha! If only I knew!"

"You could finish your degree and..."

"No, I can't. That's one thing that has come clear to me. All my life I studied applied science : physics, chemistry and maths. I always did well but last year I realized that this wasn't me. I am not a scientific mind, I like to think of myself more like a creative mind."

"Then why don't you pursue that?"

"What?"

"Art! Painting, dancing, acting, whatever it is that you love."

Singing, I thought to myself, but I couldn't say that, not to him. I've heard him sing, he's amazing. I could never compare to him.

The day after that discussion about my ambitions, Patrick left to go play a couple show on the East Coast. He told me would call me if he would get bored and that he'd be back in a little less more than two weeks.

Those weeks were long! Not that I was thinking about Patrick every living second, don't get me wrong. It was just a bit boring to go back to my life spent between home and work, meaning between Tatianna and Leanna.

I think Tatianna noticed something was different.

"Why are you so depressed, since he gone? You've only known him for a couple of weeks!"

"I know but it's not so much him as my life here and my future and arrrg all this questioning in my head!"

" I say we go out tonight!"

"You know that normally I would say no, but you know what, let's go!" I wasn't gonna meet new people and create new opportunities by sitting in my living room, right?

We went to this club, forgot the name. I think this was the third time only I was going to a club here, whatever, Tatianna said it was the place to be.

It was indeed the place to be. There was so many hot guys, it was barely legal.

Tatianna hooked up with a guy, Ryan, or Brian I don't know it's too damn noisy in there. A lot of guys came to talk to me, but none of them were interesting, it seems to be like I spoke with only a single guy the whole night while I must have been talking to at least five different guys.

I did give my phone number to one of them at then end of the night. Tatianna was taking Ryan/Brian home, but I couldn't get myself to ask any of these guys to come home with me because sincerly that's not what I wanted. I gave this Chris guy my phone number just so this night didn't feel completely useless in the end.

I still had to wait five days before Patrick came back, or at least that's what I calculated. I couldn't remember if he told me was comming back on the 15th or 20th, or somewhere in between that? I have such a horrible memory sometimes! I should have writen this down!

Work was bad this week too because Leanna's son was sick with some sort of pulmonary infection so she took the whole week off. I completely understand that but we didn't have enough part timers to fill in her hours, so during the day it was mostly just me cramming on my own until whoever part timer could come in around 4 or 5.

Luckyly it wasn't too busy this week. I was placing this new collection of plainted rubber duckies on the shelves and since there was like only two people in the store I was singing along with whatever was playing on the radio from Britney to Plain White Ts. Actually, I basically always sing when I'm stocking shelves.

The door opened and two customers came in.

It was Patrick and Pete! yay!

"Patrick!" So it was the 15th, not the 20th...

"Suprise! We're back! We thought we'd come in to say hi!"

"I'm so happy you're back! I missed you!" I said to Patrick, and I meant it. "Oh and missed you too, Peter!"

"Yeah, I hope you did, I know you like me more than you like Patrick." Pete tried to be funny.

"Hahah sure Pete, now I'm sorry but I'll just finish placing this and I'll be with you. You guys can look around it will take 10 mins."

I went back to my rubber duckies and started placing them on the shelves again. I also started singing again.