Flattery is Dead, Romance is Next

Career Reorientation, anyone?

"Right here!" Patrick said as he opened a door to a room I had never noticed before. I always thought this was a closet. Turns out it was an improvised studio. There was a laptop on a table hooked up to a microphone. There was also a drumset, a guitar, a bass, a trumpet, an tambourine and even a cowbell in a corner of the room.

"Very funny Patrick, you know I don't play any instuments."

"I know silly, but you can sing!!!" He said, overly excited.

"No, I don't! I've never sang other than while listening to music, working or taking a shower. There is no way I could ever make a career out of singing." I didn't want to be rude, but I thought he was crazy.

"See that's where I dissagree. I've heard you sing, and I heard a lot of potential."

"Are you serious? Because if you are joking this really isn't funny."

"I am totally serious." He said as he closed the gap between us and kissed me.

"Fine then, I trust you, and I bet you already have a plan?"

"Welllll... I know a couple people who want to start a band, they are all amazingly talented, they just need... well a singer."

"Ok ok, but before we get too excited here, maybe I should just try to sing first?"

Patrick agreed, and set me up with headphones and pages and pages of lyrics. He made me sing the first 3 songs off his last record, Infinity on High, as he made me listen to the song minus the vocals. He helped me with some arrangements because afterall they were his songs.

Almost the whole day had gone by when we were done. I reluctantly left Patrick because well... I couldn't sleep there two nights in a row, I think, and I was working the next day. I needed clothes, a toothbrush, and most importantly to talk to Tatianna.

"Honey I'm homeeee!"

"Finally! You've just gone missing for a day and a half... I was gonna call you but hmmm my 8th sense told me you were safe so I didn't bother. You only call me when you're in trouble." That was Tatianna's way of telling me she was happy to see me, I love this girl.

"8th sense?"

"Yeah, you don't want to know what the 6th and 7th are." She winked.

"EWWWW!" I squealled like a four year-old.

"Oh no Kayleigh, you slept with a chubby boy!"

"I... whaaat? How the hell can you know that? And he's not chubby... he's..." Dammit she was right he is some sort of chubbyhealthy.

"I just can tell by the pink on your cheeks... and well you didn't sleep here last night..."

"Ok then I'll tell you something you don't know."

"Hit me with your best shot, I know you too well."

"He wants me to sing in a band."

Her jaw dropped. "You?"

"Yeah me! Wouldn't I be an amazing rockstar?" I starting playing air guitar in the kitchen. I'm such a looser.

We made dinner and watched tv like the biggest retards. Tatianna made is watch the Price is Right. That show was forbiden in Russia because it's oh so American and a horrible example of capitalism, and now poor her cannot get enough of it.

As we were talking, it came obvious to me that Tatianna was a bit jealous of my new career opportunities. I came here to study, or so did I tell my parents when I left Chicago, then dropped out and now I just working in a gift store full time. Tatianna on the other hand came from Russia straight to LA because she wanted to be one of those big stars from the Western world. The thing is she had been here for 4 years already and nothing had come up for her still except for a few minor roles on tv, and some modeling contracts. While I was offered something without even trying. It kinda made me feel bad.

I was lucky, really. Over the last month Patrick was able to stay in LA most of the time, appart for the few times he had to fly to New York or Chicago for a couple of days, for business, for promotion, even for award shows. But yeah most of the time I was able to keep him for myself and it was awesome.

He made me record a lot of songs. We worked really well together and honnestly my voice was so much better than ever though it was, it was such a revelation to me. Plus Patrick really helped by coaching. It didn't take me long to realize that I loved singing. I was able to go on and on without stopping, song after song. I think Patrick was right, this could be that passion I was looking for.

The day after .

We had just finished recording The City Is At War, because Patrick insisted on my doing it, and we were sitting in the living room. I was laying down with my head on his lap while his hand when through my hair.

"You know I'm gonna be going on tour for a pretty long time soon," Patrick said softly like he didn't want me to hear

"I know," I sighed.

"I was thinking... since JT, Tom and Alex are comming with us and they've more or less already agreed to take you as a singer... maybe... you would want come... with us?"

I sat right up with a huge smile on my face.
"Serious?!"

"Totally, we have room for you."

"Awesome!!" I hugged him, then pulled away "wait no... I can't!"

"What do you mean you can't?"

"I have to pay rent and if I miss a whole 2 months of work well first I'll have to quit and well... I won't have money to pay and Tatianna can't pay on her own, I can't leave her like that." I was almost crying, such an amazing opportunity...

"Baby... I have enough money to cover all that...and Tatianna can come too, I think she would like it on tour."

"I know you do! I know she would! but, but I just can't let you pay for everything for me and my roommate that's not right!"

"I'm offering it, I wouldn't offer it I wasn't sure. I'm never gonna ask you to pay back or give anything in exchange, I want you to be with me AND I want you to sing, and this is the only way it can work. Trust me, it will be worth it."

I was crying "But it's just wrong for me to stop working and have you pay for all my expenses after just a month we've been together."

He put a finger on my lips and wipped my tears with his thumb. "It is right, because I love you."

He loves me?! We had never told eachother I love you yet, it was just too early and all... but he just did. I really wasn't gonna win this argument against him, and...

"I love you too," I said as I leaned over to kiss him. I don't remember feeling this happy and content with a boy. Ever.