Status: Work In Progress

Riley Wyler

Happy Days

Every time I squeeze my eyes shut I can see it. It’s like a movie rolling with a series of crisp and clear images. The laughter of my childhood bubbles out of the vivid scene behind my eyelids and suddenly the memory bursts, covering every thought I may have had. Life was great, but I was only five and a half years old then. The world seemed so right in my younger years, and I used to believe that nothing could come between me and my fantasy of a happily ever after. The thing about movies though, is that they are always too good to be true and happily ever after soon becomes a mystery and love becomes a game. Things are never as simple as they appear. Not even those old memories. Not even...
“Race you to the swings, Daddy!” I hollered as loudly as my little lungs would let me. I was wearing my “farmer outfit” as I liked to call it back then. My farmer outfit was nothing more than a plaid pink and purple shirt under full length jean suspenders, but it was one of my favorites.
“I’m gonna’ get ya!”Daddy threatened with his deep bear voice that always made me laugh. He crouched down and spread his arms wide. I always thought he made the perfect bear for our rendition of Goldilocks. When he took a step forward I squealed and ran for the swings. I was destined to beat him.
“Oh no, my baby, someone help my baby!” mom cried, throwing her hands to her mouth as she played the helpless woman awaiting her superman.
“Grow up would ya’ I don’t want people to think you’re all on drugs,” my older sister hissed. Sadie was my step sister; we had different Daddy’s and she never let me forget it. I was only five and Sadie was fifteen, but she wasn’t ever nice to me, and always blamed me for stealing mom from her.
“Oh, lighten up Sadie Waydie.” Mom teased, and Sadie let it go.
I tugged on dad’s Levis, and said “Can I go play in the sand pit, please?” dad smiled back at me and said, “Sure honey. Hey, why don’t you and Sadie both go over to the sand pit and play?” I was really excited that dad thought Sadie would want to play with me, but when I looked over she had stopped swinging and her face looked really mean.
“No thank you, dad,” she said with her, ‘if I have to go someone’s gonna’ get hurt’ tone, and I suddenly didn’t feel like playing in the sand anymore.
“Why don’t we all go over and play in the sand!” Mom exclaimed.
“YA!” I cried happily, and grateful that I wouldn’t have to endure one of Sadie’s ‘ant’s in my pants’ sessions.
“You go on, squirt, and we’ll catch up to you,” dad promised, and tapped my butt to go. I ran over to the pit and flopped down on the sand with a grin on my face. I looked back to my family. Mom and Daddy were kissing, and Sadie was actually smiling for once.
This was my happily ever after. Those were the days. If only things would never have changed...