Status: Work In Progress

Riley Wyler

Reality Stinks

She’s gone...

It seemed like just yesterday we were causing mayhem and laughing with each other over nothing in particular. I knew I would feel lonely but I wasn’t ready for the depression that was swelling around my heart.

I hadn’t been to school since Ash moved, last weekend and my cell phone had at least ten missed calls and twenty-three missed messages all from Jayson. I knew he was worried about me, but I just couldn’t bring myself to care. I literally considered rotting in my bedroom opposed to showing up at school ever again.

Then came the knock at my bedroom door...

“Riley, sweetie?” it was Moms voice... or more like traitor. I mumbled my presence, but hoping that she would just go away. We haven’t talked since the episode in the kitchen that morning John was here.
“Can I come in?”

NO GET THE HELL AWAY FROM ME YOU SAD EXCUSE FOR A PARENT! ... “Yes.”

The door opened slowly and she walked over to the end of my bed. “Your teachers have been calling. They are concerned about your absence from school. What’s going on with you, Riley? You aren’t eating, sleeping, and I’m certain you haven’t seen the sunlight in at least five days. All you do is stay in this dark bedroom and sulk.”

“What do you care?” I asked, but my voice was so choppy and alien I almost didn’t even understand myself. I didn’t even have the strength to lift my head off my pillow to look her in the eyes. Every muscle in my body refused my command. Even my dry eyes wouldn’t cry anymore. “When is Dad going to be home?”

“Tomorrow night.”

“Are you leaving us?”

“Yes.” she replied easily without hesitation.

At that moment my body came back to life and the poison in my veins burned. I sat up in my bed and saw my Moms face for the first time in days. Her hair and makeup were done and she wore the Chanelle perfume my Dad had given her last Christmas. Her black strapless dress hung just above her kneecap and she was holding a silver wallet. “Going somewhere?” I asked, feeling dread. I knew she wasn’t meeting Dad at the workers convention/vacation for a surprise visit.

“I’m going out tonight, with John.” her simple reply stung my heart and gave me goose bumps. Just the thought of her letting another man touch her made me cringe.

I didn’t speak.

“Oh come on Riley, don’t tell me you’re mad.”

“Fuck you, Bitch!” I spat. “Get out of my Fucking room! I never want to see you again!” I’d surprised myself with the volume of my own voice, and she stood there for a moment, in shock.

Just before she left my bedroom she said, “I love you, Riley.”

I ripped my bedside lamp, plug and all, out of the wall and threw it at the closing door. That should teach her not to lie to me!