The Forbidden Fruit Always Tastes Sweeter

015

I whined as someone was standing in front of my sun that was keeping me warm in Rick's living room. I held my hand up and squinted. "Hey Sunshine," I smiled seeing Brian leaning over me.

"Hi," he said softly, returning the smile. I scooted deeper into the couch so he could sit on the edge. His large hand gently touched the white padded neck brace. "How are you feeling?"

"Groggy." I smiled lopsided. "I'm not aloud to drive while on the drugs so I'm stuck here until at least tomorrow."

"What happened?" He brushed my bangs out of my eyes. I closed my eyes welcoming the warmth of his body heat.

"Yeah, Lucy, tell him what happened." Cassie smirked handing Brian a glass of iced tea. "I'm still waiting to hear it."

"You were right." I grumbled, wincing at the words. "That was more painful than the ambulance ride, even though it really wasn't necessary."

"Felt pretty good to me. And, you totally did need the ambulance." She grinned, leaving us alone to have some privacy.

Brian chuckled. "Sucks to be wrong, huh?"

"The worse." I closed my eyes again. "I heard a loud pop when I was coming back on the beach, turns out that was my neck. The lifeguard had to help bring me in since I literally couldn't move my upper body. That was so embarrassing."

"I can only imagine." Brian smirked. "Generally, professional surfers don't need help in the ocean."

"Who blabbed?" I frowned.

He chuckled. "JB, he's an avid fan of yours, apparently."

I looked up in his dark brown eyes and bit my bottom lip, not being able to read if he was upset or not that I wasn't the one that told him. "Oh. I met him in Vegas, I think. He's a tech, does the drums, right?"

Brian nodded, not letting my distracting skills defer him from this one. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"Because, not many people believe me when I say I'm a professional surfer, let alone a big wave rider." I let out a puff of air and looked out the window, frustrated just thinking about those ignorant people. "Besides, I don't have any sponsors at the moment. I have to go to Irvine to get that settled with. So, technically, I am in between jobs at the moment."

He smiled, "I would have believed you, you know. You didn't have to be embarrassed."

I snapped my neck towards him, groaning in pain at the sharp movement. "I am not embarrassed about my profession." I said hotly.

"Alright, no need to bitch." Brian ignored my temper flaring and rubbed my leg, smirking how I relaxed instantly at his touch. "How, about I take you on a date, out to dinner tonight, to start showing that I'm not just some Hollywood relationship man."

I felt my cheeks go red hot at his words. Butterflies fluttered in my stomach as I realized he might be willing to try something more substantial than that night in Vegas. "I would love to, honestly, but there's no way you're going to get me out of the house and into public wearing this thing." I tugged at the white brace.

He sighed, realizing he wouldn't win this one and began to play innocently with the hem of my t-shirt. "Well, when do you get to take the brace off?"

"Cassie, I know your listening." I rolled my eyes.

She peaked around the corner of the hallway and grinned, not bothering to pretend to feel guilty. "She can take it off tomorrow. But, she can't surf or have sex for at least a week. You're out of luck there, buddy." She coughed and excused herself.

Brian chuckled and tugged on my shirt. "So?"

"But, I'll have nothing to wear." I whined and giggled at the annoyed look on his face. "I'm kidding, Brian. I'll meet you over at your place tomorrow."

He grinned, placing his glass on the coffee table. "That sounds good. So, what would you like to do in the mean time, or, are you going to kick me out?"

I laughed and sat up a bit. "Unless you want to take a nap with me?"

"Move over, you're hogging the couch." He picked me up and shifted me on his lap until he got comfortable.

I raised an eyebrow and tapped my fingers on his leg, while I waited. "Are you done?"

"Shut up and lay down." He pulled me gently, minding my injured neck.

I snuggled up to him, draping my leg over his waist. "I'm glad you came over." I yawned, smiling at the scent of his musty cologne. "It was a nice surprise." He kissed my head, gently kneading the muscles of my back.

I groaned waking up alone with my face in the couch cushion and a blue and green plaid blanket tucked around me. "What time is it?" I asked seeing Rick in the kitchen.

"Dinner time, sleepy head." He grinned obnoxiously. "Also, you need to take your drugs."

I sat up carefully feeling the pain act up again. I grabbed my neck gently and began to rub it underneath the collar. "Brian left?"

Rick came over and brought me a plate of spaghetti and a glass of milk with my meds. "Yeah, you just missed him, it couldn't have been more than ten minutes ago. You two looked mighty comfortable all cuddled together." He mused, handing me the plate. "I think Cassie may have gone a little camera crazy though."

I took the white round pill and swallowed it dry before chasing it down with the milk. I placed the glass on the coaster on the coffee table. "And, you didn't feel the need to stop her?" I slurped down the noodle, getting sauce on my chin.

"She thought you looked too cute and threatened Ethan and I if we dare touched you two." He laughed, grabbing the remote off the table and began channel surfing. We stayed quiet as I ate my dinner, until he broke the silence. "I meant it when I told you that you're not just another person to him."

"Thanks," I said softly, pulling the blanket over so we could share.

"So, you're going on a date, Cassie said?" He teased poking my side, smiling at the blush in my cheeks.

I wiped the sauce off of my chin and nodded. "Yeah. It's not stupid is it to like him, is it?"

"Why do you say that?" He settled on a channel that was playing The Borne Identity.

"Because." I sighed dramatically that I had to explain myself and that he didn't see any problem if I were to have a relationship with Brian. "If his band is starting a new album and I'm going to get my sponsors back it'll be weird being so busy."

"How busy can you get? I mean look at me." He chuckled. "I'm a professional surfer and I have all the free time in the world."

"Well, you are an exception because you're lazy." I laughed, leaning my head on his shoulder as we watched the movie. I really hoped Rick was right and I wouldn't get hurt in the end.

I argued with Rick the better half of the day. He wouldn't let drive home just to go change. I suppose I could have just ignored him sine I am an adult, but I think deep down I knew he was right. That and Rick's just too funny when he gets all riled up.

Cassie had fun playing dress up with me in her clothes. I would say too much fun. "You know, I always wanted a life size Barbie when I was younger."

I rolled my eyes as she giggled. I sat on her bed wrapped in a towel as she rummaged through her closet looking for the perfect dress. "You're not going to over do it are you? I don't want to look like a slut."

"Are you insinuating that I have slutty clothes?" She chuckled pulling out a blue dress with a peacock feather like print and dug through the bottom of the closet for a pair of brown wedged sandals. She pushed me gently to start changing.

"Okay so, it's not too bad." I approved, smoothing out the dress.

"Of course it's not." Cassie grinned satisfied with the way I looked.

"Thanks, Cass." I smiled, really appreciating her help. I looked in the mirror and felt my neck. "It feels weak without the brace."

"Well, that's why they wanted it off as soon as possible, so you don't depend on the brace to hold your head up." She rubbed my back and tugged my hair. "Go get going so you won't be late."

I picked up my bag of clothes from yesterday and found Rick in the kitchen on the phone. He hung up when he saw me and whistled making me blush. "Well, don't you clean up nicely. I'm pleased to see that my sister didn't dress you like a slut."

"I heard that!" Cassie shouted from her room.

I chuckled, "Yeah she did good."

"Call me if you need anything." He pulled me carefully into a hug.

"You're too good to me." I wrapped my arms around his waist. "Thanks for letting me bum off you."

"Throw a rad party and we'll call it even." He grinned sheepishly.

"Ah, always an ulterior motive." I chuckled. "I'll see what I can do."

I sighed relieved when I got on the road that I was already halfway closer to Brian's since I was leaving from Newport instead of San Clemente. I pulled up to the familiar house, like yesterday, still intimidated by its size as well as the person that resided in it.

I stopped the car next to his and quietly shut the door behind me. I slowly walked up to the door, suddenly nervous as I raised my finger to the doorbell. I cringed and closed my eyes as I pushed the small button. I heard the faint sound of footsteps coming closer. Hearing the latch of the lock being turned I opened my eyes and smiled softly when his warm brown eyes met my blue.

"Hi," I breathed out.

Brian smiled warmly as his eyes quickly glanced over my attire. "You look gorgeous, Lucy." He bent down and kissed me on the corner of my lips.

"Thank you." I said shyly and looked to the side awkwardly feeling the heat rush over my cheeks.

Brian beamed triumphantly seeing the soft red color that he had caused. My muscles relaxed as his warm, large hands wrapped around my neck, practically forcing me to look him straight into his eyes once again. "How are you feeling?"

"Tired." I smiled softly. "Yesterday was full of a lot of excitement, both good and bad. And, I'm sure the medication doesn't help."

He smirked and looked at me slyly. "Are you even supposed to be driving while medicated?"

I smiled shyly feeling that innocent blush creep into my cheeks. "Someone promised to show me something that seemed worth while enough to break a few rules."

Brian chuckled and pulled me inside, letting the door shut quietly behind me. I looked up at the tall ceiling in the entranceway still amazed by its height. "Do you still feel up for dinner or do you want to lounge around and I'll make us something?"

I brought my attention back to Brian and bit my lip at the sincere offer. "I wouldn't want to waste Cassie's effort on dressing me up."

He nodded at my answer and grabbed his leather jacket out of the closet next to us. "Trust me, it definitely did not go wasted," he grinned, padding his pockets making sure he had everything he needed. He slipped his sunglasses on and enveloped his hand with mine, leading us outside. I went to get my purse from my Jeep, but he gently pulled me back and tsked me. "Oh no you don't." He chuckled lowly, opening the passenger door for me and helped me up.

I feigned a glare on his direction. "Are you going to buckle me in while you're at it?"

Brian smirked and shrugged, taking the seatbelt and buckling me in. My breath hitched as he lingered hovering over me. I could taste his mint-flavored breath as he resisted laughing. "Just to make sure you're not going to sneak off on me."

I felt the air fill my lungs involuntarily as my body remembered to breathe for me, tasting the winter fresh mint even stronger. "I don't plan on going anywhere." I admitted honestly.

His confident smirk broke into a happier grin as he shut the door for me. He didn't say anything as he got in the driver's seat and started the car.

I stayed quiet, looking out the window as everything passed us by, not wanting to be the first to break the silence. I tapped my fingers softly on my lap and ignored the satisfied smirked that he still held. "Okay, I can't take it anymore. Where are you taking me to?"

"We're here already." He shrugged passing the restaurant to park the car in the lot behind. I didn't even have time to read the name of the place.

He came around the side as I slide out and took my hand securely in his, shutting the door for me. Walking through the lobby of the restaurant I heard a low bass playing. "What's down that hall?" I asked as he led me in the other direction.

"Oh, that's the jazz bar." Brian tugged on my hand, pulling me closer. "I remembered you had Miles Davis CD in your Jeep so I figured I go on a whim and assume you may have some interest in jazz, like me. It's after dinner of course, if you still want to."

I didn't comment on the soft embarrassed glow that rose in his cheeks, glad that it wasn't me that was blushing this time. "I'd love to." I smiled at the elation reflecting in his eyes.

Brian gave his name and reservation to the seating hostess. She smiled at the two of us, grabbing a couple of menus and seated us at a booth in the front by the window. Handing us the menus, she took our orders for our drinks.

I looked out the window and watched a few people entering the restaurant. I giggled at the angle of the nose of the one guy.

Brian couldn't, but smile at my laugh and looked up from the menu. "What?"

"Noses." I giggled, turning to him. "They are truly unique."

Brian laughed out loud at my comment. "Out on a date in a fancy restaurant, that's the last thing I thought you would say."

"No, really. They are interesting. Okay, well maybe more fun to make fun of than just interesting." I bit my lip and turned in my seat, kneeling slightly as I looked over our booth. "You just have to see this one to appreciate it." He laughed following my gaze. "There." I whispered, trying not to point. "The one with a brown hair, balding. Do you see him?"

Brian smiled looking at me before leaning towards the edge of the booth. "Yeah, with the grizzly hair."

I giggled and nodded. "You can't look at his nose and not think of a ski slope."

He snorted, falling back into his seat laughing harder than before. He laid his head on the back of the booth and tried to even out his breathing after laughing so hard. "That's so sad."

"Ah, but very true." I grinned, sliding into the seat. "It's a ski slope angle, right?"

Brian chuckled went to answer, but was interrupted by our waiter, setting down our drinks.

"Good evening, I'm Kevin, and I'll be your waiter." I rolled my eyes as his slipped down the front of my dress. "Are you ready to order?"

Brian cleared his throat, taking the attention off of me. I smiled my thanks and laughed softly. "I forgot to look at the menu. The noses were so much more interesting."

"I can give you a few more minutes, if you want." Kevin offered.

I shook my head and looked at Brian, leaning on the table. "You go first."

He chuckled order his steak and shrimp scampi after ordering some soup and salad for an appetizer. "Medium rare," he reminded Kevin. I looked up when I realized that they were both looking at me, waiting. "That was to buy you some time, Luce."

"Oh," I bit my lip, still not opening and grinned. "You pick, you already looked through everything. Get me the second choice you were thinking about."

He rolled his eyes playfully. "The calamari marinara."

"Oh, and I'll have both the soup and salad too." I smiled handing the menu. I sipped the Sicilian Citrus Fresco I had ordered and ate the lime wedge on the side. "I commend you on the choice."

"You're such an ass." He chuckled.

"I thought that's what you were." I smirked. "Besides, it was the sky slope's fault that I was distracted so easily. Though, with that nose you might be knocked over when he turns his head."

Brian broke out into laughter again making me smile. "You're horrible."

I shrugged, grinning. I sat up in the booth and tapped my chin pausing to think for a moment. "So…"

"So?" He mused leaning on the table.

"Well, it's a date." I leaned back in my seat playing with the short hem of the dress.

"It is," he looked at me oddly, not sure where I was going with this.

"Don't you want to get to know me better?" I rolled my eyes. "Ask away, Brian. You look itching to ask me questions."

"You caught me." He admitted, smiling shyly. "Did you always live in San Clemente?" He began with, surprising me that he did not choose jump into a more personal question instead.

I played with the straw in the water glass and decided to answer all his questions truthfully since it's not like he couldn't just use the trusty Internet to discover the same ones. "I was born in Berlin, but I consider to have lived in San Clemente all my life. I do not hold any citizenship in Germany, I gave that up when I was 18."

"Ah, so technically, I have a foreign girl." He chuckled trying to make me smile.

I did, but I doubt the small twitch in my lips was not exactly what he was looking for. "Always in Huntington Beach?"

He allowed me to bring the attention back on him and shook his head. "Nope, born in Long Beach."

Kevin interrupted Brian again, setting down the appetizers in front of us. "Do you need anything else?" He directed the question towards me, blatantly staring at my chest.

"Yes, you gone." Brian glared. The waiter straightened up and quickly excused himself, shocked at being told off so bluntly while on the job.

I laughed softly as he ran away with his tail between his legs. "You should have yelled at the kid after we had gotten our meals so we know they won't get messed around with."

"He shouldn't have been disrespecting you like that." He huffed. I laughed ignoring as he turned his glare onto me. "What?"

"Like you haven't stared a woman's rack before?" I raised my eyebrows. "It's a bit hypocritical, not that I didn't appreciate it. I just thought it was a bit cute how you went all Rambo on him."

His glared intensified for a second before softening. "Rambo?"

"Sunshine, lighten up and ask the next question." I chuckled eating the red onions out of the salad first.

"Siblings?" He followed suit digging in and relaxing his body once more.

Such a simple question, yet a hard one for me to answer. I smiled softly, glancing out the window. "I suppose I have two younger siblings: a brother and a sister. Jan and Emma."

"Oh, like half siblings." Brian nodded, thinking he understood.

"No, they're full." I smiled at the confusion in his face. "Let's just say the understatement of the year is that I have a screwed up background."

Brian looked at me concerned and reached under the table to rub my knee. "I'm sucking at this getting to know you conversation."

I slipped my feet easily out of my sandals and boldly placed them on his lap. "No, you're not. You are exchanging words with me, like a conversation should." I teased and sighed. "My answers just suck. My mother felt too young to have me. Her and my father weren't ready yet. She was over there abroad for college. So, instead of giving me up for adoption to a stranger, my grandparents raised me." I smiled thinking of all the wonderful childhood memories they had given me. "It's the only life I've known and I wouldn't have had it any other way."

"They must be wonderful," Brian rubbed my legs, not at all offended by me laying them on his lap. "I haven't seen your smile that bright before."

"The best." I blushed, taking a bite of my salad. "They had my brother and sister later on when they felt that they were better fit." I shrugged feeling blasé on the subject, or I kept telling myself that I was anyway. "So, what about you? You don't seem like you're an only child."

"What makes you say that?" He asked interested in what observations that may have tipped me off.

I shrugged, breaking a piece of bread off the roll and dipped it into the salad dressing. "The way you act with your friends and how you have looked out for them too. Certain mannerisms you have just give off that impression."

"Well, I consider them brothers too."

"It's different." I shrugged once more. "Call it a woman's intuition then."

He chuckled. "Well, you're right, either way."

"Of course I am," I grinned cheekily.

"I have an older brother, Brent. Then with my mom's second marriage, I got Johnny. And, with my dad's, I got McKenna." He explained to me. "You're not the only one with a difficult family."

I laughed and sipped my drink before beginning to work on my soup. "Don't try to fight me on that one, I'll always win. You are still fond of your family; I have not forgiven mine. I tend to hold grudges."

"I'll try to remember that." He frowned, confused by the cynical tone behind the words.

I sighed seeing the reaction I had caused. "Sorry, I'm being a downer."

"Don't apologize." Brian shook his head, giving ankle a reassuring squeeze. "I'm getting to know your inner workings. Even taking the bad with the good."

"Scary goal." I chuckled moving my empty dishes out of the way as a different waitress put down our main meal. She smiled collecting what we had finished and went to get refills on our drinks. "I think you scared Kevin away."

"Good." He smiled with his shoulders squared back proudly.

I laughed. "My hero."

"Always," he said with a cheesy grin. "Alright, I have a better question."

"Shoot," I smiled feeding him a fork fill of calamari covered in sauce.

He wiped his mouth with the cloth napkin as he swallowed. "How did you get the nickname Loon The Moon?"

I laughed at the question along with the memory behind that nickname. "I was drunk with a bunch of friends that were high as we celebrated my fifth win in a row in several different competitions. And, we were talking about the odds of me winning that many times. I think it was Paul that said only someone with insane powers over the moon could accomplish that because then they would have control over the tide and the wave and such. Obviously, to him anyway, my name is close enough to lunatic and it rhymes with moon so everyone saw it fit that I won because I had some insane powers."

Brian smiled at the lightened atmosphere. "I was looking for that smile. Genuine and beautiful."

I blushed and took a sip of my drink. "And, your insane guitar skills?"

"Self taught." He said proudly. "I'm just naturally insane."

I laughed, "I won't disagree with that one."

"Hey," he protested lamely, pouting. "At least I'm not a lunatic."

I took a bit of my dinner and chuckled. "Yeah, but I have powers from my insanity."

"Ah, amazing guitarist." He said dumbly, pointing to himself. "No better powers than that."

"Water beats guitar any day." I challenged.

"You'll have to show me that to prove it to me." He smirked.

"Neck injury." I pointed to my neck with my fork before taking another bite.

"That's only going to get you so far during the week." Brian's smirk stayed proudly. "I'll remind you."

I rolled my eyes. "Maybe."

"Any musical talent in you?" Brian teased. He saw my lips tense in hesitation. "What do you play?"

"Don't laugh." I warned him, biting my lip shyly.

"Promise." He reassured me, his face turning void of a smile.

"I haven't played in forever, but I know how to play the ukulele." I played with my hair passively to distract myself the funny look he was giving me.

"You're kidding." He chuckled, trying to stifle a laugh.

"Are you calling me a liar, Haner?" I put my hair over my shoulder and began to eat again.

"No," he shook his head. "Just trying to picture it."

"You promised," I looked at his reddened face and stole a piece of his steak.

"I just have a hard time visualizing it." He shrugged, not sorry for laughing and cut another piece off, offering to me.

I looked at his fork skeptically, before accepting his peace offering. "My tutu kane taught me how to play when I was little."

"Your what?" He sipped his beer, creasing his forehead in confusion.

"You do that like your dad." I smiled remembering the time I bumped into him.

"That wasn't fair you know. He got to see you the other day and I didn't." He sulked childishly.

"Poor, Brian. I think suffering from neck injury evens it up." I laughed and nudged him with my foot. "Tutu kane means grandpa in Hawaiian. That's where he originally is from. He moved to San Clemente for my Nana."

"Do you go there often, to Hawaii?" He asked, as he picked off my palate, dipping the calamari in the sauce.

"Yeah, my family is there." I smiled. "It's where I started getting into heights."

"How old were you when you started surfing?" He asked wanting that to see that smile longer.

"Wow, I don't know." I laughed lightly. "I used to sit on his board as soon as I could walk. But, on my own, maybe three or four."

"And, then professionally?" Brian asked soaking in that glow that was currently radiating off me.

"I was 17 or almost that old when I signed with Billabong up until a few years ago." I finished off the calamari.

"So, how did you end up in Las Vegas?" Brian ask as calmly as he could, trying to mask the eager curiosity behind the question. He had asked it once before when we had first met, but that answer was not nearly as sufficient with the new knowledge he had of me. It didn't make sense to him that I would leave something that made me so happy.

I sighed at the question. "Let's just say luck hadn't been on my side that year. At all." I looked around the restaurant uncomfortable, barely noticing the man with the ski slope angled nose leaving the restaurant. "This really isn't a discussion for this type of scenery, Brian."

"Another time then." He frowned, noticing the complete change in my body at the subject. I looked so lost to him and so alone.

I looked up smiling at the waitress that had replaced Kevin. "Is there anything else I can get you, dessert perhaps?"

I looked over at Brian waiting for him to answer. "Nah, next time, we're heading over next door."

"Oh, I heard it's a really good band tonight." She smiled politely. "I'll be back with your check then."

"Much better than that other shit head." Brian huffed.

I rolled my eyes, sliding my feet off his lap. I reached down and slipped the strap around my ankle. "You're too funny."

"Glad you thinks so." He pulled out his wallet and finished up his beer.

"Here you go." She handed him the small black

"I can't believe you made me leave my bag at home." I laughed.

He returned it back to her. "Well, I wanted to make sure you didn't try to pay again."

"Don't you like free coffee and lunches?" I batted my eyes innocently at all the times I paid while we met up.

"Nope." Brian grinned, grabbing his jacket and accepted his card and receipt. "Did you still want to go in?" He asked me in the lobby of the restaurant.

I smiled tugging on his hand, pulling him towards the music. He pulled me back kissing my head and wrapping his arm around my waist.

The atmosphere was a lot darker in here than the restaurant next door. There were only the lights over the bar and the stage; everything else was dimmed down to a minimum. It was also a lot warmer in here as well.

Walking over the bar first he pulled me in front of him trapping me within his arms as he leaned on the bar. "What do you want?" He asked as we waited for the bar tender.

I smirked, knowing he was going to roll his eyes at my answer. "Something sweet."

"Like?" He chuckle.

"AMF." I grinned.

Brian laughed and ordered our drinks when we were finally waited on. I began to tap my feet and sway my hips to the rhythm that began to fill the room.

"Dangerous move." He whispered huskily in my ear, holding my hip as he reached for his wallet.

I grabbed our drinks and smiled, leading us to an empty seat near the band. I crossed my legs, draping one over his. I handed him his glass and took my straw sipping my blue drink.

"Gypsy jazz, right?" I looked over to him.

"Yeah." He looked at me surprise that I knew the sub genre.

I nodded. "I thought so. It's my favorite kind. I love how the violin and the guitar go together."

"Well, the guitar is the best part." He smirked, making me laugh. Of course he would think that.

"Dark Eyes, it's a beautiful song. Especially this version of it." I smiled watching the two guitarists and the drummer making all those different sounds. I kept bouncing my leg to the song, unable to sit still to the lively music. "What's his name that's started this genre? He was from Belgium and burnt his hands, but still continued play."

"Django Reinhardt?" He offered, trying to conceal his smile that someone else had heard of the musician.

"That's the one." I grinned. "I remember watching a bio clips on him on the History Channel. Besides the war and such, I would love to have been in the era."

Brian moved his arm around my shoulder. "I have a few CD's I could lend you."

"That would be awesome." I smiled, swirling my straw in the drink. We sat enjoying the music quietly, after Brian failed miserably trying to teach me some of the technicalities behind it all. I set the empty glass next to his on the side table. I looked at the other people swaying to the music stood up stretching my shoulder a bit. "Come dance with me."

Brian rolled his head back on the chair and groaned, trying to conceal his smile as he let me tug him up. "What if I don't dance?" He asked with a teasing smile, pushing forward making me walk backwards towards the other couples.

"You do now." I grinned cheekily as we tried to mimic the old moves the others were doing.

He laughed as our legs and arms kept getting twisted. "We don't dance well."

I laughed into his chest as he brought my arms around his neck, while resting his on my waist. "But, we tried." I leaned on his shoulder as we danced slowly to the soothing jazz. I tried to keep my eyes open as I listened to the steady rhythm of his heart adding his own bass to the music.

I felt the vibrations of his chuckle as leaned down. "Let's get going, Lucy. You look bushed."

I laughed at the choice of his wording. "But, I'm having fun."

"Next time." He kissed my head, guiding me over to the chair and grabbing his jacket. He pulled me close and wrapped his arm around my shoulder, letting me lean on him for support as we left the bar.

I covered my mouth trying to hide a yawn that I had been fighting, making Brian laugh. "So, a next time?"

"I'd like for that to happen." Brian admitted honestly.

I wrapped my arms around him, grinning tiredly. "Me too."

His smile brightened as he opened the passenger door for me. "Need me to buckle you in again?"

I laughed, reaching for the strap. "I think, I've got it this time, thanks."

I shivered at the coolness of the night. Brian noticed, turning the heat on first thing after starting the car. My heartbeat sped up as his hand rubbed over my leg as he draped his leather jacket over my legs. "So, I'm taking from that beautiful smile of yours that you had a horrible time."

"The worst." I chuckled, curling in my seat to watch him drive. "And, you?"

Brian glanced at me, smiling, before setting his eyes back on the road. "The best."

I frowned as he twisted everything around on me. "Good-best, or bad-best."

He laughed at my confusion. "Definitely, good-best."

"Good." I sighed in content, watching him concentrate on his driving. His lip would twitch occasionally in a cute manner when he looked like he was thinking hard about something.

He cleared his throat before asking, "Have any plans for the week?"

"Yeah, I promised Chelsea and her friend to visit for a few days." I grunted remembering that I had never set up the guest room from them. "I have to pick them up tomorrow at LAX in the morning."

"What time in the morning?" He looked at me skeptically, feeling a bit guilty for keeping me out so late.

"I'll probably leave my house after a couple of hours." I smiled. "Why?"

"You should have told me." He rolled his eyes as he got off the PCH.

"I was having too much fun to end a good thing." I commented satisfied with the grin set on his lips again. I looked out the window as he drove into the community that I was becoming familiar with in the last week or two.

"You're so stubborn." He commented, huffing, when he pulled next to my jeep.

I laughed as I stepped down, watching him walk around to me. I shut the door handed him his jacket. "Goodnight Brian." I smiled shyly, beginning my farewell.

"Oh, no you don't," he held onto my hand. "Knowing how much you've had, that you're on drugs, and you have to go to LA tomorrow, you are not going anywhere."

I groaned as I quickly grabbed my bag as he unlocked the house. "I thought I was supposed to be stubborn." I kicked off my sandals next to his boots as he walked ahead flicking on a few lights in the kitchen. I shivered as my bare feet touched the cold tiled flooring.

"Stubborn, but not stupid." He chuckled, messing up his hair tiredly before looking up at me. "Sleep or drink?"

"Sleep." I said without any hesitation making him laugh.

"Good choice." Brian smiled softly, leading me through the stairs in the kitchen. He laughed as I walked slowly. "Need to be carried?"

"No, you need to walk in smaller steps." I tried to keep my eyes open to watch were my feet were, too tired to take in anything else of my surroundings.

"We're almost there." He laughed at my state. He stopped short causing me to walk into him, earning a whine of annoyance. "Guest room or mine?"

"Which one's closer?" I yawned, rubbing my face.

"Guest." He frowned at that realization.

I patted his cheek. "I can make the next ten feet." I took a few steps forward, away from the guest room waiting for him to show me his room. "Besides, can't do anything with this injury anyway."

Brian rolled his eyes and picked me up surprising me. "You're going too slow."

I rested my head against his shoulder and let him lay me on his bed. "I need my drugs."

Brian laughed. "And? You expect me to do something about it?"

"Yep." I smiled cheekily, looking at the soft outlines of his face in the dark. "You know you want to. No one can resist these baby blues."

"It is hard to." He chuckled, humoring me. "I'll be back," he whispered.

I watched as he hesitated pulling away, not that I unwrapped my arms from around his neck either. His warm breath hovering over my lips, as he looked for any reaction from that that would hint rejection. Feeling confident enough he leaned the rest of the way. I closed my eyes feeling pure bliss as shots of electricity numbed my lips.