The Forbidden Fruit Always Tastes Sweeter

020

I laid in Brian’s arms on the cool tiled patio in front of the fire, listening to the buzz of conversation around me. I sat up and slid my arms inside the shirt Brian had offered me when we had gotten back from the beach. I undid the ties in the back and around my neck before sliding the top out of one of the sleeves.

Brian looked at the flimsy material that was placed next to his leg and swallowed. “Do you do that on purpose?”

I looked behind me confused. “Do what?”

He just closed his eyes and took a deep breath. “Never mind.”

I looked at my top and laughed. “Oh,” I patted him on the leg.

I heard the low ring tone of my Blackberry coming from Brian’s pocket. I reached in the one on his left thigh and pulled it out to see who was calling. I muted the volume and scanned over the number. It was familiar phone number not in my contact list, though I couldn’t make a connection at the moment and let it go to voice mail.

I looked at my phone and saw it go back to the regular screen showing that the call had disconnected. I dialed up my voicemail and entered in the password. Brian rubbed my side comfortingly as I brought the phone to my ear and listened to the new message.

My breath hitched as I listened to the message. ”Hey, Lucy. It’s Marie. I just wanted to fill you in on some office gossip I overheard leaving the office. Stayed late as usual,” she chuckled. “Apparently, Paul caught wind of some video post of you and is upset you didn’t let him know that you’ve been back in the area. So, be expecting a call. You didn’t look half bad. I’m guessing it’s on of your first runs since being home. I’m running late, but I’m assuming that I will be seeing you soon.”

I jumped, startled when my phone went off again. “Well, aren’t you Miss Popular,” Brian chuckled.

I looked at the number and sighed, biting my lower lip as I recognized it. “It would be wise to take this one, unfortunately.”

“By all means,” he shrugged and helped me to my feet, laughing as I rubbed my butt, numb from sitting in one position for so long.

“Thanks,” I mumbled, wishing he gave me a reason not to answer the phone. “Hello?” I brought the phone back up to my ear. I snuck into the kitchen for a little bit of silence while I took this call.

“Lucy,” I heard the un-amused voice through the receiver.

“Hi, Paul.” I said softly. Paul Naude was the general manager of Billabong for the North American branch. His specialty, however, has always been surfing.

“How are you doing?” He asked in the same soft tone.

“Better,” I smiled to myself. “Things feel like they are finally starting to go in the right direction.”

“It looks like it by the video clip I saw. Never thought you were one for snaking someone.” He teased.

I chuckled softly. “He was asking for it.”

“I’m sure he was,” Paul laughed. “Do you want me to make a few appointments? See what kind of response you get.”

“Don’t you think I need to get into shape first?” I bit my lip, tracing my fingers along the granite countertop.

“Not really. You looked a bit loose, but that will come back in time. It is better to get out there into an old routine, hopefully back on the team, than to wait.”

“Back on the team.” I mumbled to myself, thinking of all the promotions and competitions I had participated in.

Paul chuckled. “Of course. What did you think I was calling for?”

“Well,” I stumbled over my words. “I didn’t want to assume. I mean-“

“I’m only teasing, Loon. I’ll keep in touch.” He said goodbye, before disconnecting the call.

I looked at my phone and took a deep breath, before opening the door to go back outside.

I looked at the group, the warm glow of the fire reflecting off their faces. They were full of laughter and enjoyed each other’s company.

“You going to keep staring or are you going to come back?” Danny asked.

“Naude just called me.” I blurted out.

Danny slowly looked back over to me. “And?” He encouraged me to continue, knowing how big of a deal this meant.

I shrugged, tugging on large t-shirt. “He’ll be in touch. He wants to set some stuff up.”

Danny didn’t hesitate to scoop me up into a hug and congratulate me. “That’s great Luce.”

“I don’t know,” I said softly, still in shock. “Everything’s happening all way too fast. I mean he would have never called if I hadn’t done a sloppy run today.”

“From what I heard from the guys, it was anything from sloppy, Lucy.” He rubbed my arm.

“Thanks, but it was crap.” I giggled as he pushed me back over to Brian.

I resumed back in my spot from earlier, between Brian’s legs and leaned against his chest. “All good?”

I tucked my Blackberry into his pocket so I wouldn’t lose and shrugged. “It wasn’t bad.”

He chuckled and pulled me close, rubbing my back. I relished in the comfort he gave me, knowing that the next month was going to be hectic. If Paul was going to carry through with his plans that meant I had a lot of proving of myself to do. More runs and more training, but it would be worth it.

Brian gave me a light squeeze before slipping his hand under my shirt and continuing to rub my back that way. I went limp in his arms. It also wouldn’t hurt to have Brian around either.