The Forbidden Fruit Always Tastes Sweeter

023

Brian turned off the television, having heard the car pull into his driveway. He smiled, standing in the doorway, watching as I got out of the jeep. His breath was taken away as the wind blew my hair and the sun kissed my skin. He smirked to himself, proud to call me his own.

“I feel over dressed,” I admitted, blushing at the sundress I chose to wear. Brian was casual in just a pair of jeans and a t-shirt.

Brian shook his head, disagreeing. “You look gorgeous.” He leaned down and gently kissed my lips. “Do you want anything to drink before we go?”

“Yeah, a shot of anything strong.” I nervously shifted my weight from one foot to the other before trying to sneak past him into the house.

“Lucy,” He chuckled, pulling me back. “Why are you so scared? They will love you.” Brian assured me.

“I just don’t know how to do this.” I confessed meekly. “I’ve never had to meet anyone’s parents with this amount of pressure before.”

“There’s no pressure, Luce. It’s just dinner.” Brian tried not to laugh. He didn’t see the big deal. He just wanted to share this amazing person he met with his family. “You’ll have fun. And, if you really need a shot, my dad will be more than happy to pour you one.” Brian’s large hand held my face gently in his. “Trust me.” He leaned down and kissed me long and hard. I melted in his warmth, forgetting all my troubles.

“Alright,” I breathed. I glared at the satisfying smirk on his thin lips. “Don’t think that that will work on me every time.”

He just leaned down and brought me into another mind-numbing kiss. “I beg to differ, sweetheart.” I smacked his arm and rolled my eyes. Brian just smiled contently and helped me into his car.

“So, we’re going to your dad’s, right?” I fidgeted in my seat.

“Yeah,” Brain pulled out of the community. He reached over the consol and grabbed my hand, bringing it to his lips for a quick kiss. “Stop.”

I rolled my eyes and flipped on the stereo, switching the stations on every commercial. Brian would just try to resist laughing at my nervous habit, knowing he would only make it worse. We pulled up to the large house on the corner of the last road in the private neighborhood.

“Still nervous?” Brian asked, resisting the instigating drive in him, and keeping the teasing comments at bay.

“Yes.” I glared at him, knowing that it lacked of sincerity in his question.

“I promise you that they already love you.” Brian grinned, getting out of the car not waiting for a response. He waited for me, holding his hand out. I grabbed it and smiled softly as he held onto me securely. “Hey, Pops.” Brian hugged him, as I held onto his hand nervously. He pulled me closer, into view. “Lucy. Pops. And, vise versa.” He introduced us properly this time.

“Hi,” I said softly with an awkward smile.

“No heels?” He commented as he gave me a welcoming hug, making me laugh. “You have the nicest legs on you, they look good either way.”

“Thanks,” I giggled as he wrapped his arm around me, leading me through the house.

I looked over my shoulder to see Brian smiling proudly, mouthing, “Told you.” I rolled my eyes playfully.

We made a quick stop in the kitchen. “Wine?” Papa Gates offered, before bringing us out back.

“Please,” I eagerly agreed.

“She needs anything with alcohol in it. Loosens the jaw nicely. I was going to suggest tequila, but wine works well on her too.” Brian grinned, laughing, his pun intended.

“You are such an asshole.” I reached over and pinched his side. I smiled satisfied with the howl of pain he let out, making his dad laugh. He handed me the glass of red wine, before handing one to his son.

We walked outside and once again the introductions began again. The nerves I had earlier quickly disappeared all together. The whole atmosphere was warm and welcoming. The casual conversation flowed freely. McKenna even recognized me from one of her old Seventeen magazines. It had to be my embarrassing moment of the evening.

“I’m wondering why as to a gorgeous woman such as yourself is with him. You can do much better than him.” Brian teased his son as he put the meat on the warmed grill.

“The perks that come with the rock star life,” I teased, making myself comfortable in Brian’s arms as we sat on the bench.

“Please, I think that you secretly make more than me.” Brian wrapped his arm around my shoulder.

“I highly doubt that. I’m not even doing a tour at the moment.”

“How long do surfing tours last?” Papa Gates asked, interested on the career of a surfer.

“The Women’s ASP World Tour goes from the end of February to like mid-December.” I took a sip of the dry fermented juice. I didn’t dare look at Brian. I don’t know if he knew exactly what he was getting into with a professional surfer. “I mean that’s for all eight events and you have time in between the events. But, in the past that has been filled with other events or promotions and such.”

“Do you ever have time off?” Papa G asked with raised eyebrows. He had begun touring once again as well, but only during the summer months mostly. He still had the major holidays and celebrations home with his family.

“Not including the breaks in between. Like a month or so in a row I guess.” I smiled, remembering my breaks. They would be spent being lazy with friends and having special Christmas’ with family. “When it’s something you love, time isn’t such a big factor any more.”

“Where are the events?” Brian asked speaking up, showing that he had been paying attention to my conversation with his dad all along instead of with Suzie, like I had thought.

“It depends where the permits are accepted and where the men’s tour is at the time. They have priority in my world.” I added bitterly. The prizes were unfortunately also much more limited than the men’s league as well. “But, usually Australia, Hawaii, Brazil, and France. The last tour I did a few years ago included Fiji, Tahiti, and Spain. It had to one of the best years. There was such a good line up.”

“Sounds more like continuous vacation to me.” He chuckled. “I wouldn’t mind those countries over some of the places the guys and I have suffered through.”

I leaned my head on his shoulder relieved that he didn’t seem to mind the traveling that accompanied my profession.

The conversation soon turned away from my career and back to casual topics and good laughter. My stomach was full from dinner and my glass was never empty, thanks to Brian. I think he was enjoying all too much how my hands wandered freely under the influence.

Brian had gone to fetch me a bottle of water instead of another bottle of wine he had taunted me with earlier. McKenna leaned against me as I braided her hair.

“So, what’s next for you?” Suzie asked as we continued to briefly discuss all the places I have been blessed to visit.

I groaned thinking about my schedule. “Apparently, it’s a big deal to be back on my team. I have a few interviews to do, then a quick thing for Fuel’s show The Daily Habit. And, I have a shoot and video in Australia in a week, I think? It’s too much to think about.”

“So, you’ll be busy,” she laughed.

“In between your busy lifestyle, maybe you can teach me to surf?” McKenna asked shyly.

“Of course, sweet pea.” I grinned, completely honored at the request. “Let me know when and we can do a sleep over and get up early for the good swells.”

McKenna was ecstatic and began making plans, playing with my calendar on my Blackberry. I laughed as she took control, much like her older brother. “Hey, don’t forget to leave some time for me in there too.” Brian teased, handing me the water bottle.

“I’m more important.” McKenna grinned cheekily up at him. Brian threatened to mess up her hair and all my work, earning a smack from both she and I. He stuck his tongue out childishly, sitting back down next to me and continued to pout about how he was more important.

Brian wrapped his arm contently around my shoulder. He knew that everyone would get along, but seeing it all unfold before him was a different story. He felt thoroughly satisfied with his life at the moment. He wouldn’t have brought her over so soon if he hadn’t been considering their relationship seriously.

He laughed softly to himself as she talked so freely and giggled when it was not necessarily necessary due to the abundant amount of wine in her system.
♠ ♠ ♠
Lucy

I know it's a miracle ;)