The Forbidden Fruit Always Tastes Sweeter

027

I bit my lip as I dialed his number, hoping he wouldn’t be busy this weekend. I smiled hearing his voice. “Hey,” Brian leaned back on the couch in the studio glad to have a reason for a break. “Everything okay?”

“Yeah,” I leaned on my deck watching the waves crash. “I just had a question.”

“Ask away, gorgeous.” Brian propped his feet up on the coffee table.

“Well, I have the humanity event coming up and I was wondering if you had some time to spare.” I sipped my drink, giving him a moment to think his schedule over.

Brian laughed, “Of course I have some time to spare for you. I feel like since you left for Australia I haven’t gotten you alone for more than a couple of hours.”

I smiled softly, secretly excited that he seemed to have had missed me as much as I did him. “Well, we won’t be exactly alone during the event, but we’ll have a hotel room after to make up for it.”

“Mm, that sounds good,” Brian lulled his head back against the couch just thinking about it. “So, tell me what you’re dragging me to. I vaguely remember you mentioning it.”

“It’s this awesome humanity party that Billibong throws.” I grinned thinking about the last three that had been hosted. “This year money is going to the Invisible Children’s fund. It’s going to be held at Paramount Pictures Studios at New York Street, which I’m really stoked about.”

“That sounds awesome,” Brian agreed, drinking some water to hydrate him.

“I can’t wait. There’s a fashion show, a few concerts, an art show, and just an all-around awesome party.” I tried to explain without giving too much away. An artist photographed me when I was in Australia and he was putting a set in his gallery. I wanted to surprise Brian. “Rick will be there and Danny may too so you won’t be alone when I do the ‘red carpet’ part.”

“Oh, I see how it is. You don’t want to be seen with me,” He teased.

“Was Quasimodo hidden in the bell towers?” I laughed when he gasped.

“That was a low blow, Luce,” Brian chuckled.

I giggled, playing with the rim of my glass. “You know I think you’re a hunk, don’t go waxing your eyebrows on me now.”

“Oh, so I’m too bushy for you now too?” He laughed with me, going along with my insane insults.

“No, they’re fine as long as those freak antenna hairs stay in line,” I threatened lamely.

Brian laughed, “I’ll try my best not to embarrass you.”

“Nah, I don’t have to worry about that too much,” I said softly. “We’ll have fun, for sure. How’s everything going today? How much money did you put in the swear jar?”

Brian groaned softly, thinking about the rifts he had to lay down. “Let’s just say that I filled up one of those Poland Spring five-gallon bottles today alone.” He smiled hearing me laugh. “But, I’m glad you called. I needed this break; I’m probably going to head out soon if Master lets me.”

I laughed at his nickname for Matt. “Sounds like you need a cold beer with your feet put up.”

“And, a good hand job,” he added, agreeing.

“Poor baby had a stressful day,” I cooed.

He pouted to himself, whimpering for extra effect. “You could always come over and take care of me.”

“You’d like that, wouldn’t you?” I rolled my eyes. “I guess it wouldn’t help to tell you that I’m standing outside naked on my deck as I’m talking to you.”

“Please tell me that you’re not lying,” Brian swallowed, feeling his blood warm.

I laughed, “You’re such a pig.”

“I’m a man, what else would you expect from me?” He chuckled. “Hey, you want to come up tomorrow? I hear there’s a surfing contest this week and a bunch of other stuff to do at the Pier too.”

I smiled at how he was always thinking of me and of things for us to do together. It was a nice change than what I was used to with other relationships. Though, I had to laugh knowing that he was more than likely talking about the US Opening. “I may be in the heat?”

“Oh,” Brian laughed. “I should probably ask for your schedule in advance, huh?”

I knew he was joking, but there was definitely some validation in what he said. “I should probably meet you half way and keep you better posted.”

“Eh, I like the spontaneity of our relationship. We just go with the flow and neither one of us let’s the other’s schedule get in the way. You have no idea how refreshing that is, Lucy,” He said honestly. “Yeah, it definitely sucks that we have such busy schedules to deal with, but in some ways it makes it easier to understand when one of us is not around.”

After that serious comment, the conversation went in a more laid back direction after that. I thoroughly enjoyed how lax our relationship was.

♥♥♥♥♥

I pulled into Brian’s driveway and glanced at the clock on the dashboard. I frowned knowing he probably wouldn’t be up especially since he went out last night with friends. Taking my chances, I sent a quick text. If he answered I had breakfast for us and, if not, I would just head over to the beach early and find Tim.

I looked up at the sound of the front door opening and laughed at the sight in front of me. Brian stood in his boxers, holding onto the doorway for dear life with his hair was all over the place.

I climbed out of the Jeep and walked over kissing him on the cheek, “Did I wake you?”

“No,” he said sarcastically. “What the hell time did you leave your house?”

“You don’t want to know,” I laughed, grabbing breakfast. “We actually all crashed at Rick’s last night so it was short. But, I come bearing gifts. Can you stomach it?”

“I hope so. It is actually smells good.” He scratched his stomach, following me into the kitchen. “Kenz wants to come. I’m going to pick her up I guess soon?”

“That’s so sweet. No pressure on me I hope,” I chuckled playing with the lid of my coffee cup. “Um, you guys probably don’t have to be there until nine.”

“You’ll be fine, Luce.” Brian tried to reassure. He saw past the happy front and could see the fear beginning to surface.

“I know,” I said quietly. I sat up and sighed. “It’s just a little stressful. I was up at four this morning making sure I had Paul’s truck packed with everything. God help him and Tim if they forget anything. Scott should be ordering everything around anyway.”

“And, that’s your coach?” Brian asked. It was hard to keep on all the right terminology and who was who sometimes.

“Yeah,” I nodded my head. “That’s Tim and Tyler’s dad. He’s always been my coach since the beginning.”

“Lucy,” He smiled. He reached over the breakfast bar and tucked some hair out of the way. “You’ve been doing this forever. It sounds like you have a great support team. You’ve got this.”

I blushed, looking away from his intense gaze. “Thanks.” I sighed looking at his clock, “I better get going.”

Brian linked his hand with my, giving it a quick kiss before leading me to my car. He got me settled in and leaned on my window. “Only for you would I get up before seven. You should feel very honored.”

“I do,” I laughed.

“Just think in a few days, this weekend, we’ll be dancing the night away.” He mimicked a few lame dance moves.

I laughed, never would have expected him to say that. “I can’t wait,” I gently kissed his lips.

Not feeling satisfied, he grabbed the back of my neck and pressed his lips more firmly against mine. “You’ve got this shit in the bag.”

I nodded, afraid to say anything to dispute his confidence in me. I grabbed an extra parking pass for him so he wouldn’t have any trouble. “Text me when you and McKenna get there. You can hang out at our tent and have a better view.”

“Sounds good,” he leaned over for another kiss before letting me go on my way. Flashing my pass, I was allowed through in to the parking lot. Locking the car behind me I made my way over to my small tent, discretely scoping out the competition. I was in the junior woman’s heat, ages running anywhere from 18-29, on the Southside of HB Pier. The beach was already starting to get full of people.

I laughed when Tim handed me an iPod. I sat in the beach chair and stuck a bud in one ear, knowing Scott would soon find me to discuss the breaks. I dug my toes in and studied the water.

I looked over my shoulder and smiled softly at Scott. He began to massage my shoulders, shaking his head at the tension he saw down my back. “It’s blowing out easily,” I frowned.

He shrugged, “You’ve worked with worse. It will hold out until the afternoon. You’ll have medium tide to work to your benefit. Don’t worry about style; concentrate on completing the most maneuvers. Look, they’re not too close to the beach and it seems like the waves are breaking stronger on the left.”

“It sucks that it’s not a classic day,” I sighed.

“Only if you make it that way,” Scott handed me the other ear bud.

I slid in the other ear bud and continued to watch the waves. After the random drawing, I found out that I was in the third heat out of four. I felt the tap on my shoulder, surprised to see Brian’s warm, brown eyes since I never was told he messaged me.

I stumbled over my feet as I stood up and wrapped my arms around him before pulling his younger sister in a hug. “I’m so glad you could come,” I told her.

“When do you have your run?” She asked me excitedly.

“Not for a while, I’m in the third heat,” I smiled, trying to look strong. Fake it ‘til you make it, right?

Tyler knew my preheat rhythm and distracted Kenzy, showing her the behind the scenes of the event. Brian gave my hand a squeeze and pulled me to sit between his legs. I let out a soft groan as he kneaded my back.

“Damn, Luce,” he shook his head, much like Scott earlier. “Calm down; you’re so tight and not in a good way this time.”

I would have smacked him if I could move, but it felt way too good to do anything at the moment. I let him work his magic as I just watched the waves, the music drowning out the announcer. I watched competitors run their heat to see what I was up against. Though, I rather study the water. The water speaks volumes.

“How are you feeling?” Brian asked. He watched the other competitors as well and was starting to feel nervous himself. He could perform in front of hundreds of people, but doubted he could perform under these intense conditions. The crowd factor probably doesn’t affect him. But, seeing the six different judges that would separately scrutinize and score the heats was definitely intimidating.

“Hanging in there,” I smiled, leaning on his chest. “It’s not so bad. I really could care less about placement; I just want to find my niche.” Brian leaned on my shoulder, hoping that I would too.

As the tide was coming in, the swell was producing inconsistent waves. I could see how it could be a problem trying to get good maneuvers in. I wrapped my headphones around my iPod and handed it to Tyler. “Don’t shank it.”

I rolled my eyes and gave him a push. “Glad you have so much faith in me.” I smiled over my shoulder as Brian zipped up the back of my wetsuit. I slipped on the white rash guard, advertising the different sponsors for the opening.

“Ignore him,” Tim came to my defense giving his brother another shove, making McKenna laugh. “It’s not like you’re a grom; you’ll be fine.”

Scott handed me the board, not needing to say anything to me. The cheer of the crowd melted in the background as soon as my feet hit the water. After walking out waist-deep, I laid down on the deck keeping my weight centered as I cupped the water, propelling me along. I grabbed both rails and pushed under the water, loving the feeling of the wave passing over my body, as it lifted me to the surface.

Finally making it to the lineup, I straddled the board watching the waves break and feeling the pull beneath me. Knowing that I was under a time constraint, I made sure not to let my nerves get the best of me. I had about 30 minutes to get four good waves and the clock started when I paddled out.

The first wave is always the one to make count; basing the rest of the scores from it. I knew that I couldn’t hold back either. Scoring was also based on getting the most maneuvers closest to the tube, the most powerful section of the wave.

I licked my lips, tasting the salt, as I felt the wave lift my board and me. I took a deep breath before paddling as hard as could, leaning forward to pick up momentum. I dropped down the wall of the wave, gliding deep in to the trough. The bottom turn brought me out onto the open face being able to get in a few snaps.

Going over on the vertical part of the lip and veering upward, the board began to break free as I got air. Making sure my footing stayed close to my board, as I was able to choose a landing site. Gliding out onto the shoulder, away from the pit, carving in a roundhouse cutback. Crouching down, I let my body fall into the water, feet first, when I slowed down. Surfacing, I went back to the line up in order to accomplish several more waves.

My muscles were burning as I climbed onto the beach. I shook hands and took pictures gracefully, while my body was begging me for a break knowing that the day was just beginning. It earned me an 8.6, which I was grateful for.

I collapsed against the blanket in the tent, letting Tim take my board. I gratefully accepted the bottle of water from Brian and smiled when McKenna sat down next to me. “You were totally awesome,” she grinned. “You are going to blow everyone away tomorrow.”

I laughed, “Thanks.” I cracked my fingers and rubbed my legs down. I had ended with a total of 10.50 points, putting me in second place in my heat and moving me into the semis. “I definitely needed you around Kenz, you really were my muse.”

“Anytime,” she wrapped her arms around my neck.

I smiled, looking over her at Brian, grinning with pride. “I’m going to hold you to that.”

Tim was impressed of the presence this new guy brought with him. He was actually able keep the nagging pacing to a minimum. Usually while waiting for a heat, he and his brother would be in charge of calming Lucy down. She would be getting into everything, ‘trying to help’, while driving everyone crazy. He was happy to see her at peace and content.