The Forbidden Fruit Always Tastes Sweeter

030

The sun was unusually strong today, but it felt amazing on my skin. I dug my heels in the sand, feeling the contrast of the cool sand. The beach wasn’t too crowded yet, though it was still early for most people. My chest heaved with exhaustion.

The water was crystal clear today with not a cloud in the sky. It couldn’t have been a more perfect morning. I laid down on the large towel and let the sun dry me off.

“You left me to drown out there,” Brian wheezed, letting his body fall next to mine on the towel. “I can’t breath.”

“You can thank Marlboro for that,” I patted his back. For once the two of us had a day free of obligations. Brian finally let me in on his surfing skills. They weren’t half bad. I don’t know why he didn’t take me up on my offer sooner.

“Yeah, yeah,” Brian sighed, still trying to catch his breath. “It’s definitely not a sport for a smoker.” I laughed and stretched out, having no plans on moving any time soon. “So this is a day in the life of Loon the Moon?”

I smiled softly, “Not quite. It’s more like when you came to the competition. I have a strict training schedule in between the locations. And, I’ll have appearances to make for charities and interviews as well in the different countries. Especially for the world tours.”

“And when do tours like that going to happen for you?” He asked rolling on his side, interested.

I shrugged, not really wanting to think of schedules and business. “Soon, I guess. It depends what offers are put on the table.”

Brian nodded and laid back down, satisfied for now with that answer. He didn’t want to have to think about it either, but he had to be realistic, knowing things were about to get chaotic soon.

He needed to prepare himself mentally for the distance, physically, that would be put to between them. He had to think about this stuff in order to prevent the distance from becoming an emotional wedge as well. He was 50% sure that their relationship would overcome whatever was thrown at them, but he would rather be 100% confident.

“You’re thinking too much,” I mumbled. “I’m starting to smell you burning. Today is a nothing day, Bri. Embrace it.”

Brian mumbled a response, letting his eyes close behind the dark shades. He smiled to himself feeling my hand slip around his. He brought it to his lips and gave it a gentle kiss, embracing this day of complete bliss.

He should know better by now. They had survived the summer and fall seasons, with their relationship going strong. He promised from the beginning that he was only going into the relationship if he knew it would last. Not some trial and error with no commitment either. He still hasn’t regretted that decision, and doubt he ever would. Brian closed his eyes, letting the lull of the waves fill his senses.

My body felt heavy once I woke up, never wanting to move. I looked over to see Brian’s head hiding under his hat and sunglasses. I rubbed my eyes and saw that the beach had been patched up with the different colorful towels reminding me of a quilt, each square filled with stories.

“Bri,” I nudged his shoulder. “Time to wake up and get our grub on.”

“Five more minutes,” he mumbled.

I rolled my eyes and began packing up the surfboards and stuff so we could get out of here faster. I nudged his side with my foot this time. “It’s been five minutes,” I whined, my hunger overruling all needs.

I yelped as he grabbed my ankle pulling me back down. I groaned as I landed awkwardly. Brian peeked over the sunglasses and laughed. He pulled me closer, “Why do we need to move?”

“I’m hungry,” I complained. “Come on, I even packed the care. Your lazy ass only has to carry the towel.”

“Only for you,” he stretched out warming up his muscles. “Enjoying the view.”

“Always,” I tugged on his hand, not really caring at the moment how attractive I usually found him.

“Geeze you’re cranky when you’re hungry,” he chuckled, taking his sweet time to frustrate me. “Matt’s house is closer. I think everyone is there.”

“Well, what are we waiting for?” I urged.

“For you to uphold your end of the bargain,” he grinned slyly. “You didn’t think I’d forget do you? I mean you can always wait ‘til Matt’s for a full audience.”

I sighed and gave in, “Fine.” I grabbed the small case out of my large beach tote. I took out the hard concert case. The leather exterior was smooth, warn down from years of traveling. I undid the latches reveling the small soprano size uke. My tutu kane designed it and taught me how to play at a young age. It was made just for me.

I ran my fingers over the silk spruce top. Lifting the neck, I took it out of the case revealing the rosewood back and sides.

Brian watched as I admired the instrument, getting lost in fond memories. I looked up at him and smiled. “Just to warn you, I haven’t played this since I was last in Hawaii.”

“You go there often?” Brian asked, knowing that I had family there.

I nodded, “For almost all the holidays and I was always there for surfing. You can come with me this year, if you want.” I offered as I checked the tuning. “My aunt makes these apple turnovers that are irresistible and these pork hash dumplings that are to die for. And we have this big fire pit on the beach and just party all night.”

“Sounds fun,” Brian smiled, slightly surprised with how well she handled the instrument. “I think I’d like to take you up on that.” He hadn’t been to Hawaii much, especially not from a locals’ perspective. “Which island are they on?”

“O’ahu, The Gathering Place,” I smiled softly. “Um, here’s something more traditional.” I bit my lip nervously and started to play. Brian watched amazed at how fast my fingers were moving. I ignored Brian’s gaze and tried to just loose myself in the song. My fingers slowed beginning to play the famous song Aloha ‘Oe. It was one of my favorites that my Nana sang to me when I was younger.

“Wow,” Brian whispered, breaking me out of my concentration. I blushed under his stare and stopped playing. “Why’d you stop?” He asked, baffled. I shrugged, not exactly comfortable with the new attention. “You’re amazing.”

“Not really,” I continued to blush. “It’s really just something for me so don’t get any crazy ideas.”

“Alright,” he gave in. “But, you will have to play for me more often.”

“Fine,” I gave in and put my uke away. “Now go hunt down a cow or something because I’m starving.”

“Okay,” he laughed. “I get it; hop on.” He squatted down for me and held my legs securely around his waist. “We have to more of these nothing days.”

“We do,” I agreed, resting my head on his shoulder. “Today was perfect.”