The Forbidden Fruit Always Tastes Sweeter

031

The last few months had been wonderful, but busy. It was sad to see how fast time was going by. Brian was getting ready for another tour around the states. And, I was also getting ready for one hitting various countries around the world soon as well. Though in a couple of weeks I was heading out to Indonesia to help hold a camp for teenage girls.

It was hard to get recognition in the surfing world for women. A couple of girls and myself had decided to hold a camp, getting footage for them in order to put it out there for representatives to see. Also, going through what was needed for competitions today and buff out their techniques. It was a great opportunity and I was glad I could share my knowledge so these girls wouldn’t have to struggle as much.

It was stressful getting everything together, but I know it will be worth it in the end. I knew Brian was under stress as well getting ready for their tour. We haven’t seen each other as much this last month, but when we do we always make it count. Despite our busy schedules, it hasn’t put too much of a strain on our relationship. I think we could actually make this work for the long run. I only hoped that Brian felt the same way.

I was actually in Huntington Beach, but for work, getting some shots done for a magazine. We had done the interview over the phone in the beginning of the week and now we were working on getting some material for the spread. I never really minded doing interviews or working with different photographers. It was a part of the job, and I usually enjoyed it.

However, today felt completely off. It was more serious than what I was used to as well. I felt like I was in the twilight zone and stuck in some sort of funk. I felt under pressure to get this shot and the assistant to the photographer was getting on my nerves.

On top of that, there was a storm coming. I could feel it in the water underneath me. And, that was the main reason why it was so hard to get any good shots. The lighting wasn't great and the water was so damn choppy.

"Again, Lucy." Joe shouted for the photographer.

I nodded and waved signaling that I heard them on the beach. I began paddling where I saw the water pulling back and tried again.

Buzzing erupted from next to my bag. "Can you get that? It keeps going off and it's getting really distracting." Ken said looking through the viewfinder of his camera, waiting for the right angle to capture.

"Hello?" Joe answered the phone.

Brian looked at his phone and saw he called the right number. He took a deep breath, not to jump to any estrange conclusions to why some man was answering the phone. "Where's Lucy?"

"She's busy doing her job." Joe said shortly. "Who's this?"

"Brian," he said, not liking the tone of voice this guy had with him.

"Oh, you're the boyfriend that's been holding her back." Joe smirked, ready to put this boyfriend on the guilt trip. "I don't know how you live with yourself, letting this talent go to waste."

"And, who the hell do you think you are?" Brian began to lose his patience.

"Joe Carter." He shrugged, watching me struggle to make riding choppy waves look easy. "I offered her an amazing opportunity and she turned it down for you." He sighed dramatically not mentioning that this so called amazing opportunity had nothing to deal with surfing and more with his pathetic love life. "She really could have gone far. But, look I'll let her know that you called."

Brian looked at his phone confused when he was hung up on. He sighed laying out on his lawn chair and began to think if he really was holding my career back. He may have been known to be high maintenance, but selfish, he was not. Isn’t there an expression that you free the ones you love?