The Forbidden Fruit Always Tastes Sweeter

033

Being submerged in water was completely therapeutic. I couldn’t hear anything except my breathing or the soft swishing of my pulse. I went diving as much as we were allowed to.

The visibility of the water was incredible; you could see out for miles. I looked to me left to see two men waving at me. They were my roommates along with one another girl; the three friends were from Austrailia on a break. I smiled softly behind my mask and waved back. I looked behind me to where they began pointing to, to see a large Manta Ray coming closer.

I gently moved my legs to keep me treading in the same area as the creature swam around me. I started the camera and took a few angles before taking a video. It was so much larger than me, but just gently carried on along the reef waiting for a cleaner. I followed it, quickly being approached by the other two that were swimming along the reef.

The experience to be swimming along side these gentle giants was absolutely thrilling. There were so many mesmerizing colors along the reef that it was overwhelming. I was stunned with the beauty beneath the surface. And, if the tanks didn’t have to be checked, I would probably never leave.

I looked at my watch and saw that we only had a few minutes left and that I needed to get back to the boat on the other side of the reef. I continued to let my camera film, capturing the different schools of fish and corals.

It felt weird when I finally broke through the surface of the water. I felt oddly alone. I slipped mask off of my face and the heavy oxygen tank off of my back, handing it to one of the workers. I kicked my feet back, pulling my hair free and floated on my back.

“That was incredible,” I sighed to myself, taking a fresh breath of air.

“I’ll say,” Madison grinned. “You were dancing with the rays.”

“I know,” I agreed excitedly, leaning forward as he swam over to me. “But still the whale shark is my favorite.” Yesterday there was a Whale Shark spotted, so we went snorkeling. It was the most beautiful site yet. It was so huge and majestic. It’s mouth was probably the size of me.

“Nah,” he disagreed. “Tonight is going to top everything.” Tonight we were going shark diving around a different reef.

“Maybe,” I smiled shyly. I have to admit it has always been a dream of mine to go diving with sharks. Hopefully there would be some tonight.

“So, since Ethan’s dive buddy is his girlfriend, you’ll be mine, right?” He grinned. When you went deeper than 18 meters, you needed a buddy. I had been avoiding it, just wanted some time to myself to heal.

“Alright,” I gave in. I would rather my diving buddy be someone I was a bit familiar with.

“Awesome, maybe I’ll crack that shell after all.” He grinned triumphantly, making me blush. Madison had been persistent, but I was just as stubborn wanting my space.

I didn’t have the guts to say anything as I swam over to the deck and carefully stripped out of my wet suit. I hug it up to dry and grabbed my towel. I went down to my cabin and checked my phone. I saw a few messages and took with me while I dried in the sun on the top deck.

I had disconnected myself from technology except for the quick text I had promised Danny. I had a separate phone for when I traveled for the international calls. Only a few knew of this number. I listened to the different messages letting me know the confirmations for next week’s camp. Then, I dialed Danny’s number.

“Hello?” I heard the groggy voice answer. I bit my lip from laughing, completely forgetting about time zones.

“Hey,” I replied softly.

“Lucy!?” Danny sat in bed fully alert. He looked at Teasha sleeping next to him and went into the kitchen so not to disturb her. “How’s your trip?” He asked a lot calmer, not wanting to be hung up on again. He felt like a jerk last time, but he was just worried.

“I’m still alive,” I joked. I smirked hearing his sarcastic laugh, not finding me at all funny. “Don’t worry. The dhoni is actually a legit liveaboard diving one.”

“That’s good to know,” he sighed in relief. He knew how dangerous it can be for a woman traveling alone.

“If you go on my webpage you can see some of the pictures.” I said softly, trying to ignore that nagging question in the back of my mind. I didn’t want to think about Brian anymore. I wish there was just a switch I could turn off.

“He’s quiet lately,” Danny murmured, starting up his laptop. “He’s not pumped like he usually is for tour.”

“I didn’t ask-“ I began to lie, not liking how he was able to read me so easily even with continents between us.

“I know,” he played along. “I don’t know what happened and I’m not asking, but I think you two need to talk. To either work things out or something. It’s still early.” Danny offered optimistically.

I sighed knowing that despite it only being two weeks later it was too late to go back. “He doesn’t want that kind of commitment at the moment, Dan. Just leave it alone.”

“I don’t get your reasoning. You two were so happy. I don’t understand why you didn’t think you could survive your schedules. You guys were doing great so far.”

I swallowed, feeling my throat dry. I wanted to say that I didn’t know either. I wanted to throw the biggest tantrum in the world saying that it’s not fair. I wasn’t ready to let him go and that I wanted him back. I rubbed my eyes, feeling the familiar sting that I wanted to blame on the salt water.

Instead I cleared my throat and continue to lie for him. “It’s just so we can test the waters freely, like I said.”

“Hey, thought you’d be thirsty,” Madison handed me a bottle of water. “Oh, my bad. I didn’t know-I’ll give you a minute.”

“Who was that?” Danny asked hearing the male voice in the background. “Is that why you wanted a break?”

“What?” I asked confused before it clicked into place what he was accusing me of. I laughed bitterly. “No, you’ve got it wrong. He’s my roommate along with his two friends. He’s my diving partner for tonight, but that’s as far as things go if you wanted to know.”

“In the black or red shorts?” Danny asked, looking at the pictures from her trip so far. She looked kind of miserable, if he were being honest.

“Red,” I rolled me eyes.

“Name?” he continued his brief interrogation.

“Madison,” I answered.

Danny laughed, “Is he as manly as his name?”

“Shut up, Danny,” I wasn’t in the mood to deal with his childishness.

“Sorry, I couldn’t resist,” he chuckled. “You don’t look like you’re feeling mutual about this breakup.”

I closed my eyes, wishing he would leave the topic alone. “Of course I’m not thrilled about it, but it is what it is Danny. Who knows what may happen along the way, but for now please leave it alone. It’s no one’s fault.”

“Alright, so what’s on the agenda for you today?” He finally switched topics.

“Day?” I laughed. “It’s almost over for me. But we’re having a night dive tonight. We’re going to try to find sharks that usually hang out off this one island.”

Danny winced, not exactly keen the idea. “In a cage I hope?”

“Where’s the fun in that?” I laughed, glad to be talking about my trip instead of the extinction of my love life.

“You’re going to me a stroke,” he teased. “Tell this Madison guy that he’d better protect you.”

“Go back to bed. Say ‘morning to Tea for me and that I’ll see her next week.” I said smugly hanging up. I looked at the water bottle in my hands, knowing it was too soon to even consider having a hookup. I hadn’t even begun to evaluate how I was feeling and I would rather let that simmer on the back burner for as long as I could.

I looked up to seen Madison approaching me again. He laid casually on the lounge chair pressed up to my own. “I know how you’re feeling you know.”

“How’s that?” I asked, humoring him.

“Everything is so over stimulating that you can’t breath.” He said so nonchalantly. “The only time that you can is when you’re in the water. You can finally just clear your mind and not feel anything except from the current.”

I nodded, speechless. I felt my eyes tear up, and quickly wiped them way. He quickly sat up and faced me.

“Hey,” he said softly, holding my chin gently in his hand. “I didn’t mean to cause sad tears.”

“I know,” I swallowed. “It just hurts.”

“Is he worth it?” He asked, leaning closer.

I paused thinking about the answer, before nodding. “Yeah, he is really special to me.”

Madison nodded and closed the space, gently kissing my lips, letting me know that I wasn’t alone at the moment. “My friends dragged me on this trip to spring back from a break up. Except they are so in love that they don’t understand that I just want to be left alone to recover.”

“I ran,” I laughed softly. “I booked a ticket and had everything packed under two hours and just left.”

“We deal with things differently,” he shrugged. “If you want to talk, I’m here.”

“Thanks, Madison. You don’t know how much that means to me.” I smiled, glad I wasn’t so alone at the moment.