The Forbidden Fruit Always Tastes Sweeter

039

“Someone’s been waiting to see you,” the nurse smiled from behind the desk where she was documenting her assessments.

Brian furrowed his eyebrows confused and quickly went down to room 11. After breaking down and talking with Kai he had felt a lot better after that nightmare.

The lights were dimmed, but the sun was shining through the large window. She was still connected to all the fluids and IV medications, but the large ventilator machine was off and to the side in the corner. She only had the small tubing in her nose.

He quickly went over to the side of her bed and took her hand, pressing a kiss to it. He was so happy to feel its warmth and softness.

He watched as her eyes fluttered open, revealing the stunning blue irises full of life. “Lucy,” he breathed out in relief.

I still felt groggy as the sedation started to wear off. I blinked a few times adjusting to the light. His face was fuzzy at first, but I knew who it was. My aunt and the whole staff was telling me about the attractive man that never left my side.

“Hi,” I said softly, still not used to using my voice. My throat was so incredibly dry and irritated from the tube.

Brian was so relieved to hear her voice. He had missed it so much and was afraid that he was still dreaming.

I was surprised as he squeezed my hand and leaned over, kissing my forehead affectionately. His hand cupped my face, tenderly holding it. It felt so nice and warm against my pale skin.

“God, I love you,” Brian said, smiling. I was surprised at the words, but heard the genuine feelings behind them. “I have so much to tell you, but first how are you feeling?”

“Like I got hit by a bus,” I groaned tiredly and gave a small smile hearing him laugh.

“Lucy,” he began, but I cut him off.

“Tyler has a big mouth. He blabbed this morning why you broke up with me.” I sat the bed up slightly and motioned for him to sit down. I figured he deserved a break and gave him an out.

Brian cursed under his breath, but refrained from going off on a tangent about how Tyler should mind his own business. He wanted to be the one to tell Lucy. “Lucy, I-”

“Am an idiot,” I finished for him. As much as I should have been angry with him, I just wasn’t. I was too tired to get upset. And, death has a funny way of giving you a different perspective. “Why, yes you are. In some sick, twisted way, I guess it was a sweet gesture. But, you should have come to me.”

I guess some time in the middle of the night, the respiratory therapist was able to have be extubated and put me on bipap, a noninvasive way to help me breath. They had explained how they put you on this first since one’s body gets used to not having to fully breathe on its own. Tyler had been there with Teasha and Danny when they successfully put me on high flow oxygen with the nose tubing.

They first reprimanded me for scaring them. And, then began to fill me in on everything that I had missed. I was still fairly sedated that I missed half of the stories. But, I had definitely paid attention to when they told me all about Brian.

First they told me about how he dropped everything and flew in on the next flight available. Danny told me how they had just finished touring and was exhausted, but Brian had refused to leave the hospital.

I was confused when I had thought he wanted nothing to do with me when Tyler spilled the beans about why Brian had ended things with me. And, how he really had thought he was selflessly doing the right thing.

“I know,” he agreed softly. He knew now, how her career worked and how he never was in the way of it. And, it tore him up inside that he had put the both of them through hell for no reason. “You’ll never know how sorry, I really am.”

“I heard you,” I admitted softly. “I heard when you read [i/]Sleeping Beauty and Cosmo.”

Brian blushed furiously, despite not being ashamed for doing it. “I wasn’t sure if you could.”

“I thought I was dreaming, but the nurse confirmed otherwise,” I smiled tiredly. It was soothing to hear his voice. I felt trapped when I couldn’t wake up, but still was somewhat aware of my surroundings. His voice was one of the only things that had comforted me.

“So, what’s the plan now?” Brian asked, twirling the hospital bracelet around my wrist. I was slightly taken aback at how shy he was. He looked so vulnerable and tired, not like himself at all.

“They’re bringing me up to the cardiac floor as soon as a bed opens up,” I repeated what the ICU doctor had informed me minutes earlier. “I guess I’m stuck here for another two days for observation before they let me leave.”

Brian nodded, prepared to camp out next to her side until she was released. He wasn’t going to lose her now. “You have no idea how happy I am to hear that.”

I nodded, feeling tired again. I didn’t think breathing on my own would take so much out of me. But, apparently that was normal.

“And us?” Brian asked quietly, the words coming out of his mouth involuntarily. He hated to ruin the moment, but he couldn’t help but want to know the answer.

I fought to keep my eyes open, caught off guard at the question. Despite how upset I still was over what he had put me through emotionally, deep down I didn’t want to lose him. “I don’t know if we can pick up where we left off.”

Brian swallowed, feeling his chest tighten. “I understand. I deserve that and so much more.”

“Brian,” I squeezed his hand. “I’m not going to lose you either. I just need to get used to the idea of being with you again, if that is what you were hinting at.”

“It was,” he said honestly. There was no sense in holding back since that is what got him into this mess to begin with. He saw how exhausted she was and brushed her hair out of her eyes. “Get some sleep, Luce. I’ll always be here for you when you’re ready.”

And, he meant it. He was willing to do whatever was necessary to mend what he had done.

“I love you too, Bri,” I mumbled, feeling safer with him at my side.