The Forbidden Fruit Always Tastes Sweeter

040

As much as I loved Hawaii and the many other places that I have had the privilege to see, there was nothing like California in the world. The sun, the air, and the atmosphere was unlike any place else.

It was the perfect day, with good size waves coming in at medium tide. The beach was full of people looking on at the competition currently taking place in Surf City.

I stood on the shore cheering McKenna on. Brian’s arms were wrapped securely around my stomach, rubbing it affectionately. Ever since we had recently found out that we were having a boy, his hands had been glued there. He would show off the sonogram that proved it at any chance he got to.

It had been a long recovery from my accident in Hawaii, both emotionally and physically. McKenna had been a big help. I literally had to start over. My body had deconditioned considerably during my stay in the hospital and thereafter.

Everyone had been so encouraging and patient with me, while I was the complete opposite, frustrated at my limited abilities. McKenna had asked if I would teach her while I was getting my body back to par.

I didn’t even have to teach her much. I showed her how to gain her balance and she did the rest.

Which, brings us to today. She had since joined the surfing team at her school. We were all so proud of her. She wasn’t even nervous like I was when she had comforted me.

But, today was even more special. Today was the Supergirl Jam and she was in the amateur surfing. The competition part was for the juniors and she may not have been old enough to participate in that part yet, but she got to participate in a mock heat, getting pointers from the different girls.

“Better than her big brother, huh?” I asked teasingly.

Brian laughed sarcastically, “If I didn’t love you so much, and if you weren’t so preggers, you’d get what you have coming to you.”

I laughed as he tickled my sides, “I’m shaking.”

“Don’t worry you will be,” he kissed the side of my neck.

“Besides, Luce, any one is better than Brian on a board.” Papa Gates poke fun at his son, as he was equally amazed at his daughters skills. When we first started, he just warned us that she would not be taking on the pipe any time soon. I knew he was scared what happened to me could happen to her. And, I respected that.

Though, I could not say the same for me. As soon as I knew my strength was back to my baseline and then some, I went out for the big ones. Everyone was worried about my safety and had tried to make me put it off as long as possible. But, I couldn’t stay away.

I had woken up one morning before dawn and everyone was still sleeping. We were all camping out at my Aunt Kai’s. I grabbed my board and my bicycle, trying to be as quiet as possible and returned to the place that almost took my life.

A few people were also here for the same mission. It was a beautiful morning. The sun was rising, reflecting so many different warm colors.

When I got to the shore, Brian was right behind me, practically begging me not to go into the water. He had confessed his love for me and proposed to me right then and there.

“Don’t do this, Lucy,” Brian begged, holding me back.

I looked into his soft brown eyes and saw the fear that they held. “I need to,” I shook my head, looking back onto the water. They were as powerful as ever, though the water was smoother. There was no storm in sight; it was nothing like that day.

He cupped my face, gently turning me away. “I can’t lose you,” he admitted. “I know you think that I only came back and told you how I felt because of the accident. But, I knew long ago how much I loved you. How I wanted to spend the rest of my life with you by my side.”

I stopped resisting and really looked at him. All I saw was sincerity. “What?”

“I mean it, Lucy. I want you to marry me.” Brian rubbed my cheek affectionately. “And, I can’t lose you now. Not until we’re old and saggy.” He said making me laugh.

“You won’t lose me, Brian. And, I will be by your side from now ‘til forever.” I took a step forward and saw the relief wash over his face. I gently kissed him, reminding him that I was still right there. “But, I need to do this.” I pulled away and went into the water, paddling out. I remembered how he called after me, yelling my name.

But, those waves were my passion. And, just like I would never tell him to stop playing his music, I wouldn’t stop going after these types of swells.


We had eloped in Bali, while on vacation not too long after he proposed. It was just the two of us and completely romantic.

Our schedules had never been an issue. He would travel with me, while the band was on break, to different competitions and promotions. I would laugh when he would complain how I wasn’t crammed in a bus and got to go to so many exotic places and just hang out on the beach. Though, there was far more to it than that.

It was a little after two years being married that we were graced with the news that I was pregnant, completely taking us by surprise. We had no idea if we were going to be good parents. Though, I have to admit that Brian had so much more confidence than I did. I suppose it was from growing up with younger siblings. He would easily put my doubts at ease.

Brian ignored the people around us, acting like it was just the two of us. His gingers graced the hem of my skirt and slipped his hand under my shirt. He moaned softly, “I love your outie.”

I laughed, “You’re such a weird perv.”

“Hey, I’m just admiring my work,” he grinned, kissing me behind my ear.

“PG kids,” Pops reminded us, rolling his eyes. Though he was equally thrilled with the news. Our whole family was happy about a new baby joining us.

“What did you think, Lucy?” McKenna came over hugging her wet form around my waist, pushing Brian out of the way. She was more than excited when I officially joined the family.

We ignored his complaints of making him move. “Amazing,” I grinned. “You looked like you were losing some speed. To avoid that, just be careful when you drag your hand behind you.” She nodded taking the advice. “But, we’ll have to start putting together a profile for you soon to send out.”

“You really think that I’m good enough?” She asked shyly.

“Natural, babe,” I assured her, running my fingers through her wet hair. She quickly ran off seeing a friend of hers.

“You are too,” Brian took his place again attached to my side.

“Are what?” I twirled the wedding back around his ring finger.

“A natural mother,” he grinned. “You are going to be amazing. Scratch that. You already are. Look at how you are with Kenz.”

“I guess,” I smiled glad he was there erase my insecurities.

“Can we catch an interview with the lovely MILF,” Jordan Morris from The Daily Habit asked interrupting the moment.

“Sure,” I laughed, following him over where the pier would be in the background. I tried pulling my top down to cover my belly better, but it just kept popping up. Brian stood to the side watching as they set up the camera.

“What’s with the husband on the side?” Morris asked, looking at Brian behind the camera. “Get in here. I’ll even share, Loon.”

Brian chuckled, wrapping his arm around my shoulder and gave my temple a quick kiss. “But, I don’t share.”

“Selfish bastard,” he tisked, shaking his head. The camera guy gave us the cue that he was filming and to start the interview. “So, I’m here with world famous Loon the Moon best known for her large wave surfing and cheating death a couple of years ago.”

I internally rolled my eyes at how my accident will never be forgotten. But, instead, I smiled and waved at the camera, letting it remind me how lucky I was to even be standing here.

“In case you live under a rock, we’re chilling at the annual Supergirl Jam,” he gestured with wild mannerisms to our surroundings as the camera caught a shot of all the different events in our peripheral. “And, Lucy here was recently named one of their ambassadors. How does that feel?”

“I definitely felt really honored to be chose to represent these girls. They can kick ass and are super talented. And, to have this support and these opportunities at such a young age is great to see.” I beamed, truly proud to be able to be a part of this experience.

“Alright, and now that I have fulfilled my quota for my five minutes of seriousness, let’s get down to business.” Jordan laughed evilly. “Standing here, doing a bad job at trying to intimidate me, is the Synyster Gates. Apparently these two got hitch without me knowing a while back and low and behold she’s carrying my baby.” He rubbed my belly, trying to look sensual to the camera.

“But, really congrats. You two look like that sickingly cute couple that everyone wants to hate. So, any more heats for you or is it full-time mommy for you?” He turned back towards me.

“Well my family comes first and foremost, but you haven’t seen the last of me,” I promised. I may not do as many competitions, but surfing was in my blood and would always be a huge part of my life.

“And, Mr. Gates, what do you have to say for yourself?”

“I’m the luckiest man alive,” he said so nonchalantly, making me grin.

“Yeah, definitely the sick and cute couple,” he nodded. “Sorry, but it’s that time, Luce. You can cut the cutesy charades with him. The taxi’s waiting for us.”

I laughed as he pulled me away from Brian, pretending to kidnap me. Brian quickly scooped me up and glared at him, “Mine.” He leaned down and kissed me tenderly. I wrapped my arms around his neck, sighing against his lips in content.

We had come a long way, but the outcome was definitely worth it. I couldn’t be happier in life. There was no more running away when things got hard. I knew that Brian would always be there to love and support me.

“God, I love you,” Brian grinned, equally content.
♠ ♠ ♠
I just wanted to say a quick thanks to my readers, especially to those who commented! I hope you've enjoyed it :)